Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I know an unloved piggy, but I don't know how help him without serious rudeness.

Sobekcroc

Cavy Slave
Hello, guinea pig fans. I'm not one of you. I'm here because I live in the same house as a guinea pig that is not loved, and only barely taken care of. I'm about to rant about it. I don't blame you if you dislike me after this post, but I do have a question for you at the end if you can read it without getting too mad.

The pig's cage is usually cleaned once a week, and he is fed at that point and whenever someone is in the basement and remembers to do it. He is given mostly a food mix from petco, with occasional carrots or romaine lettuce. I've lived at this house for a year and a half, and the only times I've seen him out of his 20"x38" cage was when the cage needed cleaning, and once when I wrapped him up in a towel to trim his nails. He drew blood once when I stuck my finger up to the cage to try to socialize him a little. (He's probably not neutered, but I don't know.) Though this bite may have colored my opinion of the pig, I mostly feel bad for him, because I feel he has a miserable life. He seems very afraid of people, is never given hay, and is fed once a day maximum. His claws are very long. Once I put a piece of brick in the cage, because some forum said he'd file them on it himself, but the owner always takes it out when she cleans the cage. Additionally, the wood shaving bedding that they use in the cage is constantly escaping and getting all over the room. This is obviously an annoyance for me, not the pig. But it is part of my rant motivation.

He is the third guinea pig to live in this small cage; the first two lived together for a while, one died, the third one was acquired, then the second one died. The first two pigs were the pets of a bratty teen who lives at my house (not related to me; weird living arrangement; please don't ask.) But this third one was picked up by her mom at Petco because it was housed near some cats in the store, and she felt sorry for it. The kid is a seriously lazy teenager, but beyond that, I think she resents having to deal with this animal. I don't really blame her if she does: after all, it wasn't her choice to get it, but she has to clean up after it. The mom seems to fancy herself an animal rescuer, so putting the animal up for adoption seems like a topic that could potentially end our relationship.

Slight tangent: She also has a very old, inbred, bedraggled, and FIV positive cat that she continues to pay the vet bills for, no matter what. I tend to like cats, but this one is just too old and sad for me to get attached to. In my opinion, there sometimes comes a time when you need to let go of animals if you really love them.

So, in secret, I have long wished that this guinea pig would be given up for adoption. It would obviously be very rude to say that to these people, and nearly unthinkable to do it without consulting them. But I'm tired of the guilt of an unloved animal in the house, and the constant vacuuming that the floor near it requires. What do you think I should do? And before someone says I should take care of it myself... as someone who doesn't like seeing animals suffer, I'd sort of like to. But I have a nearly-minimum wage job, and that is not in the cards.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Are they people you clean a house for, or baby sit for, or what is the situation? If they are friends show them this website and tell them nicely what they need to do. I would personally go out and buy the right kind of hay and pellets, and the right bedding, feed the guinea pig all the things it needs, clean its cage and clip its nails, and let it run around the basement when no one is around. Then I would consult the people on what a guinea pig needs.
Ask them since they only remember to feed it when they are in the basement, if they really want it. Then take it into your care or take it to a safe local no kill shelter

Last edited:

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I don't have a way with words when I'm upset so I'm not sure I'm much help when it comes to avoid being rude. I've had to tear into my brother in law and his girlfriend with not caring for their pets properly.
Even working a minimum wage I feel like you'd be able to give the pig better care. Buy things in bulk, grids are cheap, use a shower curtain base, a uhaul pad and a sheet of fleece as bedding.
I'd just ask them if they really want the animal and if they would give him to you. My husbands grandfather did the same thing with a dog that was tied up in a yard 24/7 and the family just handed him over when he asked if they really wanted him.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. If it's a step sibling or the child of your dad's girlfriend, it'll be touchy no matter what. I'd tell your dad you're concerned about it and maybe he could help out. It's hard to give advise if we don't know what the actual relationship is.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
The reason the pig bit you is because its not socialized. The owners seem like they got the pig out of guilt. And that is not a good reason so get any animal. I'm not really sure what you should do. It sound like a very tough situation. All I can say is follow your heart. Either tell them what you think no matter what they think. They may even respect the fact that you were honest with them. This just proves that you have the animals best interests at heart. I hate seeing any animal in these kind of situations. You need to at least tell them that the poor animal need more attention. Guinea pigs are social creatures. You may even want to show them this forum so they can get some insight.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I would say, be tactful and strategic in your approach. The most important thing is that he get access to hay asap. It's important for his health, and prevention of a premature death. You could say something like, "I came across some cute videos on YouTube of guinea pigs, all have hay in their cages.. how come (name) doesn't have have it seems like it might be important to his diet."

ForumTyler

Cavy Slave
Hello,

You are right to be concerned. Guinea pig's require a lot of attention. Their cage's require a lot of cleaning (it's easier with fleece but even then you actually have to clean it MORE), and attention.

For the guinea pig to have drawn blood means that it either is terrrified of people from not being socialized, or did it by accident. And it definitely doesn't sound like he's being socialized right. Does the owner take him from his cage and speak to him and hold him? If you're rather busy for that, you need more than one pig, because they can get depressed when left alone --- AND PLEASE DO NOT MENTION THIS, TWO GUINEA PIGS IN A CAGE OF THAT SIZE ISN'T OKAY.

Its cage is far too small. I have a cage that is roughly two meters by .7ish of a meter, which is actually a 'large rabbit cage' (the guinea pig cage was a third that size and I was horrified when I was buying their stuff, so I bought the biggest one in the store), and even that is actually rather small. The guinea pig here has a lot of energy he can't use, so he probably is aggressive and miserable.

You do have a few options. You could offer to adopt the guinea pig yourself, and then take care of it, or quietly give it up for adoption on your own time. If you use fleece bedding, the costs of a guinea pig are quite low (I spend perhaps $30 every few months on their hay and food). You can love and care for it yourself, which is less realistic. Or you can try to talk them into giving it up.

Guinea pigs go very fast in certain areas (they go fast in my city), so there isn't a huge chance of them being put down... even so, try to see if you can find a shelter that won't put them down if possible. Especially if he's old.

Holly M Landry
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Where do you live? I'd take him. I wouldn't feel bad at all for giving away someone's pet if they weren't taking care of it properly. It's no wonder the other two have already died, that poor little guy is probably next! He's not friendly because he doesn't have any friends. By friends I mean humans or guinea pigs. My guinea pig is my friend. He wouldn't even bite me if I stuck my finger in his mouth. Give the pig away!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.