PDA

View Full Version : New here and new Guinea pig owner

Laurmann2000
02-03-14, 12:54 pm
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Laura and I am wife to Manny, mother to 3 human boys (Armand, Alex and Andre), caretaker (mom) to a bulldog named Henrietta and a new caretaker (mom) to two boars named Teddy and Buddha.

My son Andre who is 12 had a hamster that passed away recently and we decided to get him a pet that is a little easier to physically handle as well as one that is awake during the day instead of all night long. We had a guinea pig many years ago. I think he died about 10 or 11 years ago so Andre doesn't remember him but with that little experience that I had I thought a guinea pig would work for Andre. We did our research since it had been so long since I cared for a cavy and decided that we would get 2 so they could keep each other company. We found a rescue about an hour from us who had a few boars for adoption. When we went there Teddy and Buddha were caged together (since babies) and Andre fell in love with them....I did too. So we came home (without them) and built our cage, got all our supplies and a few days later went back to get the boys. That was this past Saturday so we've now had them 2 days. They are wonderful and fun and adorable. The rescue lady had another boar that I absolutely fell in love with who was caged alone, and I may end up going back for him to be a pet to my oldest son who has now advised me that he wants a Guinea Pig of his own. I told him we have to see how it goes with these two first. So that's my story. Nice to be here and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Photo is Teddy (light colored teddy bear) and Buddha (tri-color)

EDIT: I'm sorry for the upside down photo. I don't know how to turn it or to delete it. If someone wants to tell me how I will.

bpatters
02-03-14, 01:38 pm
Welcome to the forum! Cute pigs, and THANK YOU for adopting rather than buying!

Amanda Branch
02-03-14, 01:50 pm
Welcome to the forum!!!! Teddy and Buddha are adorable!!!

Rywen
02-03-14, 11:11 pm
Welcome, your new piggies are adorable!

LuvCavysLuvCats
02-03-14, 11:55 pm
Welcome to the forum Laura, Teddy and Buddha! I'm Stephanie, and my two girls are Princess Penelope and Miss Maybelline. :)

agirlwithink
02-03-14, 11:55 pm
Teddy is gorgeous!

Princess_Piggie
02-04-14, 01:46 am
Welcome to the forum, and pigs everywhere are thanking you for going pro-adoption. You have very cute little boys there. If you have any questions feel free to ask, everyone here is always ready to try and help :)

Laurmann2000
02-04-14, 06:31 am
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome. Stephanie: love the names of your two girls. Again, I apologize for the upside down picture. I don't know why that happened as the photo was fine in its original form. Any tips on how to pick them up would be welcome. I tried yesterday and they wanted no part of it. I can gently pet them while they are eating something they like but if I try to scoop them up they freak and run away. I don't want to scare them. Not sure if I should give them more time to adjust before holding them or what. Any suggestions?

Princess_Piggie
02-04-14, 06:52 am
How long did you say you'd had them? The general 'rule of thumb' is don't pick them up until 3 days after you got them, but personally I think 2 is fine. You can hand chase to catch them for about 30 seconds before it just becomes far too stressful and you need to stop.

I find my girls are generally so distracted when I chuck a big pile of veg in that they'll just let me grab them, and if that fails, you can always get a cuddle sack or a fleece remnant and scoop them up in that.

Laurmann2000
02-04-14, 04:38 pm
How long did you say you'd had them? The general 'rule of thumb' is don't pick them up until 3 days after you got them, but personally I think 2 is fine. You can hand chase to catch them for about 30 seconds before it just becomes far too stressful and you need to stop.

I find my girls are generally so distracted when I chuck a big pile of veg in that they'll just let me grab them, and if that fails, you can always get a cuddle sack or a fleece remnant and scoop them up in that.

I got them on Saturday so it's been 3 days today. It's funny that you mention that your girls get distracted with the veggies. I found that if I give my boys a piece of carrot I can pet them like there's no tomorrow. Thanks for the advice about chasing for no more than 30 seconds. That's good to know and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm just dying to hold these boys. They're so darn sweet. :o

agirlwithink
02-04-14, 04:44 pm
I always put my hand in front of their path and scoop with the other hand. I've had my guys for awhile though.

Princess_Piggie
02-04-14, 04:56 pm
Honestly, If I really need to get one of my girls out (or both for a cage clean) I'll block their path too somehow. I think that's a last resort for me because I don't want to frighten them though!

Laurmann2000
02-11-14, 07:59 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. I have gotten them out a couple times now. They aren't happy when I get them but calm down in my arms. Teddy is better then Buddha about it. Hopefully with time they will get more comfortable with being picked up but if not then I will just refrain from doing it too often.

squigglesisMINE
02-15-14, 05:49 pm
Aww they are adorable! Love the colors on em both!

SherwoodPigs
02-16-14, 01:01 am
What adorable boys, welcome!