Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New design

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I will soon be getting my other male piggie neutered so that he can live with 3 of my 6 females. I need to design two cages to fit four in each. I am very limited for space so they have to go ontop of each other. Here are two ideas I have had so far.

I would have a 4x3 on the bottom (shown in red) with a 2x4 & a 2x2 ontop (in black) However, I thought that it will be very dark underneath the 2x4.

Here is a 3x4 (in red) with a 2x5 (in black) on top. The pink shows a 1x2 loft.

So do you think either of these would work? Or do you have any other ideas? Thank you! x

Susan W

Cavy Slave
How will you get in there to clean them? I built a cage with 3 stories of lofts and this was an important consideration in building. I left myself a gap to get to the bottom for cleaning, but it would be a little easier if I had left a bigger gap.

As far as the dark, if you have your cage across from a window (like up on a table or something) so the light goes to all floors all day its okay. (Not a window where the sun comes in on them, but just the light).

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
You can use light ropes for light. You know the type they use for x-mas. Alot of people with lofts use them.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I had a 4x4 on the bottom, and 3 2x4's ontop of the 4x4. I made doors on all of them including the bottom cage. Just make sure that the coroplast is not all the way up to the grids on the sides and front that way there is light and ventelation.

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
I plan on making a 6X3 for when I get 2 more piggies and a 2X3 loft with a connector to go to another 1X3 area. Leaving a gap between the 2 lofts but it will be pretty sweet I'll take pictures of it and post em once its done, the only thing is that it will cost me around 70-80 bucks so I need to save for a little bit.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I have a three level palace right now that sits on more cubes for storage. The 1st level is dark but they seem to like this. It gets some light but not as much as the other two levels. As long as you can get in there to do a proper cleaning and the piggies have plenty of room to get around, either one will work. I've been thinking of revamping my cage (yet again) when/if we move in the future. I want to only have two levels w/ no storage underneath.

Last edited:

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the ideas!! I think I will go with the second design. Keeping 3 females and a male in a 2x5 should be ok right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.