Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay in eye, help and suggestions

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Alrighty . While my pig was eating hay, a small flat non pokey piece landed in his eye (the best I can describe it as is chaff like) the hay is thick enough where it cant go to the back of his eye , but its thin enogh where he can blink. I was thinking of flushing it with water but I have nothing to flush it with. Its 9:30pm, And the ER vet is an hour away. My parents claimed that he would be fine because their ancestors in the wild deal with that but Ive heard scary stories about hay pokes. Help please!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did the hay actually poke a hole in his eye? If so, he does need to see a vet. That's very painful, and can result in loss of the eye.

But if the piece of hay is just laying on his eyeball, then you probably can flush it out. You could use a plastic bottle that squirts something, like an old shampoo bottle, rinse it VERY VERY thoroughly, and flush his eye. It will probably require two people, one to hold the pig's eye open, one to do the flushing. You may need to wrap the pig like a burrito to keep it from getting away from you.

If you decide to do that, I'd get a bottle of saline eye drops to put in his eye after you're done. The plain water will wash all the normal tears out of the eye, and the saline (or artificial tears, if you prefer) will restore that.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
@bpatters I can use human "artificial tears" to restore it? Its not poking its laying on the eyeball I have a small syringe I will use to flush it out.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
It hasnt gone anywhere, I tried flushing it out, it moved it but it hasnt flushed it completely out. What should I try next?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might try touching the piece of hay with a damp q-tip and see if it will stick to it.

You may need something that will provide a stronger stream of water than a small syringe. I think a squirt bottle would work better.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
He kept closing his eye and I was unable to get it so I had to go to bed, Im checking on him now

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.