PDA

View Full Version : why is she doing this?

superkid92
09-12-05, 07:51 pm
my bunny is always tearing up the paper in her cage. I always put paper at the bottom of the cage and then put bedding on top, but my bunny digs up the newspaper and tears it up. what can I do to stop this?
advice is aprecciated.:confused:

Cavy Tamer
09-13-05, 01:17 am
It's natural bunny behavior. Maybe you could try giving extra paper so she could tear at it, and then not have any interest in tearing at the paper you don't want her to tear at.

kimberly78
09-13-05, 11:54 am
rabbits love to tear and shred paper, why is it a problem? I wouldnt take it away I would give her more to keep her busy. Do you have any toys for her to play with and anything for her to chew on while she is in her cage?

zakfoxmom
09-13-05, 12:12 pm
Try putting a box or something full of paper in her cage to play with. She may have such a good time with it that she may leave the paper you put down alone.

Is she litter trained?

kimberly78
09-13-05, 12:19 pm
Speaking of litter training and why that reminded me of this question I dont know :), is the rabbit spayed? Unspayed rabbits in heat sometimes tear paper to try and build a nest.

superkid92
09-13-05, 05:11 pm
I thought it was bad for her to tear up the paper. She is not spayed. I didnt get her spayed because she is the only rabbit I have. She is not litter trained either.
this is the toy Ihave for her to chew:
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/August05/lg_10250_49a8f.jpg
Thanks for the advice

Cavy Tamer
09-13-05, 05:15 pm
lol. I got one of those for my bunny... It was torn apart very shortly after I got it, and then he was bored with it.

Fluff_n_roll
09-13-05, 05:17 pm
my bunny is always tearing up the paper in her cage. I always put paper at the bottom of the cage and then put bedding on top, but my bunny digs up the newspaper and tears it up. what can I do to stop this?
advice is aprecciated.:confused:

My guinea pigs do the same thing it drives me crazy in the middle of the night . There really isn't much you can do and it's not a bad thing unless they he is eating alot of it. If he's eating it or alot then i would take it out.. But yes it's a pain in the bum and they can actually wake me up chewing there so loud!:crackup:

superkid92
09-13-05, 05:24 pm
what toy should I buy for her?

bunnyluv17
09-14-05, 06:16 am
Here are some toys my rabbit enjoys:

toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay
cardboard boxes with doors cut into them
an old phonebook to shred
hard plastic baby toys
untreated baskets
untreated apple tree branches
a towel to bunch up and scoot around
a plastic slinkie
a big cardboard tunnel from Home Depot (they are called concrete forms)
pine cones (baked in the oven for 20 minutes on 200 degrees)

I would highly reccomend spaying your rabbit. Spaying is not just to prevent pregnancy but also to lessen hormonal/behavioral problems, improve litterbox habits, and most importantly to allow your rabbit to have a healthy life.

Uterine cancer is extremely common in unspayed female rabbits, they generally develop it after they turn three years old. There is also the risk of ovarian cancer and other reproductive diseases. Spaying greatly reduces and often will completely eliminate the risk of reproductive cancers and diseases.

Spaying can reduce aggresssion, mounting, and spraying. Spayed/neutered rabbits are much easier to litter train.

kimberly78
09-14-05, 06:55 am
Bunny has given you some great ideas and advice, I cant add more to that other than also putting in my two cents on how importnat it is to spay you bunny. Rabbits love toys and they are important to their mental health. Good luck with your bun.

laura220
09-14-05, 06:57 am
Toilet paper or paper towel rolls cut into spirals might be fun for her to rip.

Emily F.
09-15-05, 05:24 am
My rabbit does this too, I'm sure it's just a natural instinct thing.

Amanda
09-15-05, 03:32 pm
Cooper LIVES to shred old phonebooks! He can make a mountain of tiny paper shreds overnight. It makes him happy and I just clean it up and give him more.

Cavy Tamer
09-15-05, 03:44 pm
Yeah, it's always nice to do something that makes your bunny REALLY happy, and bunnies sure seem to enjoy that. :)