Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Yawn. Boring cage.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Surprise yet another post from me. Whoops. I just love getting advice on this forum.lol Anyways, I need some ideas on how to spice up my guinea pig cage. Very boring atm. Just a simple Midwestern Guinea pig cage(planning on getting a c&c when I get bday money in the summer) SO BORING. They seem to like it just because they are young and hyper. Any one have any ideas. Toys, levels, DIY?

P.s. Please don't be rude about the cage. This is the best I can do I because of my mom. She thinks that guinea pigs could live in a shoe basket and they would be happy.

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
A second hidey, a fleece forest, a big cardboard tunnel, or a wooden hide box from a pet store or online.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I think your cage looks fine. It's better for them to have room to run than crowding it with stuff.

I would take out that pigloo and replace it with something they can run through.

Here are some ideas you could use to spice up the cage and still leave room for running.

Tunnels:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/88718-Book-covers-for-bent-grids (no sew)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/55152-XL-Bent-Grid-Tunnel (no sew)
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/43952-Making-a-cuddle-tunnel (sew)

Fleece forest:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/59489-Cage-Fleece-Forest
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/67935-Easy-Fleece-Forest

Fleece/Towel tent:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will defiantly be looking into a cuddle tunnel. I'm not so creative so I will probably put in a fleece tent and a fleece tunnel!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I have the same cage... and i built my boys a house and a bed out of popsicle sticks lol... they love hiding in the house and laying in the bed... i made a little pillow and put it in the bed... and i put a giant pillow in one side they like laying on it... also i used my divider and put one half as fleece and the other as shavings... i change it up alot and ive had them a room full of hay tht they loved... and sometimes i use a hay bag that i made... and i have part of their cage dark because i put a board on top to set my printer on.. lol its beside my desk=P

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
1503329_10153674478190022_1261724801_n.jpg1551781_10153674478555022_133852178_n.jpg1620479_10153761640455022_1597929144_n.jpg

this one is from when i had a girl piggy... she died though=[ and my cheeta fleece was for her too... i need to get some boy friendly kind though.... i had bought alot of stuff for her.. and my boyfriends brother gave me the boys... so they benefitted majorly from it... they were in a cage that i wouldnt have put a hammie in.. let alone two piggles...
girl baby.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
View attachment 60247View attachment 60248View attachment 60249

this one is from when i had a girl piggy... she died though=[ and my cheeta fleece was for her too... i need to get some boy friendly kind though.... i had bought alot of stuff for her.. and my boyfriends brother gave me the boys... so they benefitted majorly from it... they were in a cage that i wouldnt have put a hammie in.. let alone two piggles...
View attachment 60250
Is that an orange crate in the middle? Looks like there's rough, jagged wood on it which can lead to a serious injury. I got two really bad slivers last week on a crate that tangerines came in. I'd toss it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I agree with lissie, better to have something they can run through over a hidie. I would also see if midwest sells an add on platform.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
I love the idea of making your own hidies and other things. You gave me many ideas and I am so sorry that you lost a loved pig. She is in a better place now:)

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
its not a orange crate... its a house made from popsicle sticks... and i made sure they couldnt get hurt on it... even the glue is hidden.... i spent like 3 hours making it for them and they love it

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
i made some of the little cozy cup things too... they really really love them and its pretty easy to do

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
1395312_10153452121705022_977107443_n.jpgthis is moochi and she loved these things.. theyre too little fr my boys though so i gave them to my moms baby pigs

beachgurl_1988

Cavy Slave
Don't worry about your cage- it is a good size for two piggies. (Bigger is always better but this is good for two)

I have a midwest cage and took the divider part out. I am making a coroplast kitchen litter box so Belle has the whole length of the cage to run thru!

Really simple things:
Toilet Paper Roll (cut a slit thru the whole thing so they don't get stuck if they go thru it) You could also suspend it from the top and stuff it with hay.
Box (Cut holes and windows in it. They run thru or stuff some fresh hay in it)
A paper bag (again cut holes in it or stuff it with hay)
Cat Toys (The little balls with bells my piggies used to like. Supervised play so your pigs doing get the bell out)
A washcloth (they love burrowing under it and pulling it around)
Wooden Toy Blocks (for kids- mine like pushing them around)
Ping Pong Balls
Mirror ( I put an unbreakable kids mirror in my cage once. They loved it!)

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
i like having the divider in mine because its extra support and i can set stuff ontop of it... n it holds the lid up incase one of my dogs gets ontop of it

Levenn

Cavy Slave
I dont know if the cage/fleece store has any...but If not, I would go to https://www.drsfostersmith.com. They have a huge selection of toys, wooden hideys, log tunnels, treats for such a crazy low price that I never have to walk in a pet store again to get treats, toys, etc...

all the generic toys, tunnels, hideys you see in the image I took below are from Dr foster and smith. BUT!! If you want fleece hideys, I would surely recommend the fleece store here.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for such great answers! I ordered a fleece tunnel, cuddle cup, and a wooden hidey! This will give me the opportunity to change up the cage when I change the fleece I know the pigs will love it:heart:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.