PDA

View Full Version : Hi! (super long story)

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 10:28 am
Hi! I'm Brittany. I'm 21 years old and I've got a 2 year old son. I had no plans of adopting a guinea pig. I had some when I was younger but the thought never even crossed my mind recently because I was told by our apartment manager that ALL pets had a pet deposit of $300 and I just wasn't going to pay an outrageous amount to get a pet.

My little guy, Chewy, changed my mind about that in about 3 seconds.

I walked outside my front door about a week and a half ago and heard my boyfriend say, "Is that a bunny?" Of course I looked expecting to see a cute little bunny hopping around my yard, but instead what I saw made my eyes get huge and my heart stop. I realized right away that it was an itty bitty guinea pig. I prepared myself to run, thinking there was no way he would let me pick him up outside, but when I walked up he actually didn't move a muscle. He wanted me to hold him. So I went back inside my house and found him something to eat.

I was extremely unprepared for a guinea pig, but I knew he needed to eat fast (he was emaciated) so I grabbed a few pieces of chex cereal and put them in a box with him to let him get his little tummy full. I realize now that I made a mistake because he was so used to not eating. He ended up with diarrhea really bad. I called the vet and they told me to give him pedialite and to go buy some veggies for him.

I noticed that Chewy had some trouble biting his carrot, so I was shredding them for him. I figured maybe his teeth were weaker or something from being malnourished. After a day or so of him being unable to eat the way he should I noticed that his bottom teeth in the front were broken off.

I met a woman on facebook that helped me soo much. She gave me food and a water bottle and a food dish along with some hay for Chewy. Since then, I've been asking her a ton of questions and she's been more than helpful and she even referred me here to ask more questions that I might have.

Chewy started improving very quickly. His diarrhea went away and his teeth grew back enough for him to be able to eat. He even gained a bunch of weight a LOT faster than I had expected him to. He's the sweetest little guy! He loves being held and he'll run right into my hands whenever I open his cage. We're having a few problems with him drooling and his poo is a little more mushy than it should be, but we're planning on taking him to the vet as soon as we can to get him checked out.
60202 This is Chewy after he gained some weight back. I was giving him Sunny D with one of my son's baby syringes. (another suggestion from the vet)

ChristyAnne
01-23-14, 12:03 pm
hi what a sweet lil guy...I have 2 guineas Reases and Dale, and i just finished making them a new c and c cage, never seen happier bunch a pigs then what i have all day today..

pinky
01-23-14, 12:26 pm
Thank goodness you rescued the little guy. Skip the Sunny D. It has high fructose syrup in it. You don't want to offer anything with that or added sugar. If you syringe feed, make sure the tip is placed between the gum and teeth so he doesn't aspirate liquid which can lead to pneumonia. If you go to the main page and look under the Forum section, you'll find a section on Diet and Nutrition. There are charts that give a lot of information on best things to eat. Stay away from cereals and grains. You can probably find Cavy Cuisine Essential Adult guinea pig food at your local pet store. If he's still having trouble chewing, you can crush the pellets and turn it into a mash that you can feed with a 1 ml syringe. You can usually get a syringe for free from your local pharmacy if you tell them it's for a small animal. I'd look around for a vet that specializes in exotics so you get the right information on guinea pig care. If there's a guinea pig rescue in your area, contact them and ask what vet they recommend. There's a lot of great info on here. I'm glad you found the site and look forward to reading more about your little guy! :-)

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 12:35 pm
I met a woman (muddygrl) that lives really close, on facebook, and she's been giving me advice and she referred me here. She's been so helpful. I only gave him the cereal the one time because I didn't have any veggies or anything and I didn't want him to die from not eating so I kinda just panicked lol. I stopped giving him the Sunny D after 2 days, too. The vet told me to give it to him for the vitamin C in it. I've been having to mash up his food and he won't eat it with a syringe so I was spoon feeding it to him with one of my son's baby spoons. It's messy but it works. Everyone seems so helpful on here. :)

Kelsie
01-23-14, 12:40 pm
He is absolutely adorable. I am so happy that your boyfriend saw him in the yard. He most likely wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for you. Thank you so much for caring about him.

Artista
01-23-14, 01:10 pm
Glad you found him! Once he is stabilized and can eat on his own, give him hay 24/7 and veggies with vitamin C (minimum I'd say green or red lettuce and green peppers), and good quality pellets along with fresh water of course (not tap or distilled). Yes, tons of great info here to browse through since what's out there on gps is so not correct.

jinxie
01-23-14, 02:14 pm
Wow. What a story! You two were meant to find each other and what a cutey pie. I am so glad you are there to care for him like he deserves. My piggies favorite source of vitamin C is bell peppers by far. We keep loads stocked in our fridge and three times a week or so I cut them up into little pieces and put them in a plastic baggy. I know pellet feeding is a lot of work so I praise you for being able to do that. Hoping he can eat some on his own soon! The community here is great for advice and support. Welcome!

Princess_Piggie
01-23-14, 03:00 pm
Welcome to the forum! So glad the little guy was found by someone who's willing to do what he needs to get healthy and happy :)

Green bell pepper is absolutely the best form of vitamin C you can get in to a pig. Try slicing it in to tiny little matchstick slivers for him to eat for now while he's still recovering :)

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 03:06 pm
Glad you found him! Once he is stabilized and can eat on his own, give him hay 24/7 and veggies with vitamin C (minimum I'd say green or red lettuce and green peppers), and good quality pellets along with fresh water of course (not tap or distilled). Yes, tons of great info here to browse through since what's out there on gps is so not correct.

What kind of water am I supposed to give him if it's not tap or distilled? I've been giving him tap water

Princess_Piggie
01-23-14, 03:11 pm
That's a new one to me, why can you not give pigs tap water? I give mine tap water and they're absolutely fine...

ThePigAlchemist
01-23-14, 03:20 pm
I think it depends on the tap water you have. I give my guinea pigs whatever water I drink. When I lived in Florida where the water was nasty, I gave them water from the Brita filter. Now that I'm in a city with decent water, I give them the tap water.

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 03:26 pm
Since Chewy acts better and his poop is more mushy than it is diarrhea at this point, do you all think it would be okay for me to bathe him? He's been drooling -a LOT- and he smells like pee, too. I've been cleaning his cage out regularly so idk why he smells so bad. He's eating regularly, too, so idk why he's drooling. I'm gonna take him to the vet, but Saturday is the soonest anyone around here that knows about guinea pigs can get me in to see him. I really would like to bathe him to make the smell go away, but I'm worried about whether or not he's healthy enough at this point.

Princess_Piggie
01-23-14, 03:32 pm
ThePigAlchemist ahh okay! I'm fairly certain our waters fine, I mean I drink it and the girls have been drinking it for 2+ months without any issues surfacing.

CoffeeAddict how long have you had Chewy? If you haven't had him for over a month, I wouldn't risk it yet. He came to you in bad shape so was probably already a bit timid, and now he's in a new home, new smells, new food etc, as well as recovering from illness. You should probably give him some time to settle before you go for a full on bath. You could give him a butt bath with a damp wash cloth, though. Just use some nice warm water and then wrap him up in a towel after, make sure there's heating on so he doesn't get sick though. Some people blow dry their pigs (from a distance) but I think a blow dryer might be a little too much for the poor guy haha!

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 03:40 pm
Princess_Piggie I've only had him for about 2 weeks(ish). He's actually not timid at all. He warmed up to everyone right away and he's a very friendly, outgoing little piggy. I'll still just go for a butt bath for now though. Is there a certain kind of soap or shampoo for guinea pigs I should use or would it be okay to use something like baby shampoo?

Princess_Piggie
01-23-14, 03:42 pm
Definitely don't use baby shampoo, it has a different PH level. Since you're in the US I think you can order shampoo from a site called Gorgeous Guineas which sell products recommended frequently by admins on here. For now you can just use water on it's own to get him a bit cleaned up though.

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-23-14, 03:46 pm
Welcome to the forum Brittney and Chewy! I'm Stephanie. :) I'm so happy he was saved, poor little guy. I wonder how on earth he ended up there all alone? Do you think someone just dumped him? I couldn't even imagine doing that, my conscience would be killing me!

Artista
01-23-14, 05:47 pm
What kind of water am I supposed to give him if it's not tap or distilled? I've been giving him tap water

At least bottled water or filtered water. Tap has minerals that aren't good for us let alone these little guys. You may not taste it but I wouldn't chance it long term. Plus quality of tap water can change without you knowing it, some of it due to your pipes. I get pure water or another word, reverse osmosis water for 25 cents a gallon.

Artista
01-23-14, 05:48 pm
Definitely don't use baby shampoo, it has a different PH level. Since you're in the US I think you can order shampoo from a site called Gorgeous Guineas which sell products recommended frequently by admins on here. For now you can just use water on it's own to get him a bit cleaned up though.

Or I noticed that the fleece store here sells a shampoo you can use.

veggiegirl
01-23-14, 07:48 pm
Hi Brittany,Thank you so much for doing such a great job with Chewy, he no doubt owes his life to you and all of your nursing care has kept him alive. I am very concerned about the fact that chewy was so thin when you got him and also about all of the drooling which you mention. Drooling or 'the slobbers' as it is sometimes put in Guinea pigs can be a symptom of a very serious condition known as Malocclusion which basically means overgrown teeth. I understand that Chewy's front teeth were broken when he arrived in your care so they are obviously not yet overgrown however it is frequently the 'back teeth' also known as the molars which commonly become overgrown to cause this life threatening problem. When the hind teeth become overgrown due to injury, incorrect diet or genetics the tops molars grow outwards and push into the piggies cheeks while the bottom teeth grow inwards sometimes completely enclosing the tongue beneath them. This is a very serious condition which will only become worse and perhaps irreparable if not treated by a vet.

The piggy will be put under anesthetic and the vet will trim his teeth back to the correct length so that Chewy is able to eat again. I encourage you to do as much research on the vets in your area as possible and find a vet that is experience is treating Guinea Pigs because if the procedure is not performed correctly it is likely even after having his teeth trimmed he will be unable to eat. A vet experienced in guinea pig treatment will ensure Chewy is able to eat after his operation however at times their mouth may be a little sore after the op especially if the top molars have already cut the cheeks so you may need to feed him with the spoon/syringe until the pain eases.

Please take Chewy to a vet as soon as possible because if Malocclusion is the cause of his drooling the sooner he is treated the better chance of recovery he will have. If left a long time the muscles on the cheek/jaws can become so overstretched and damaged that the piggy may never be able to eat unassisted again. Good Luck I really wish you and Chewy the very best and hopefully he will make a full recovery soon. Please remember it is the 'Molar/Back" teeth that the vet needs to check.

beachgurl_1988
01-23-14, 07:52 pm
I used a few drops of puppy shampoo to bathe my guinea pigs.

Maybe you can use a drop or two of Dawn dish soap- they use that on baby ducks!

Rywen
01-23-14, 08:40 pm
You can use small pet shampoo or kitten shampoo, not the kind with flea and tick medicine in it though.

I'm so happy you rescued him, he's adorable!

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 09:06 pm
veggiegirl I really wish I had the money to take him to a vet right now, but I don't. I didn't expect a guinea pig to pop up in my front yard. I'm trying really hard to borrow money from people to take him, but pretty much everyone I know is as broke as I am. I was told by the vet that the cost of the visit will be $40 plus whatever they have to do and when I asked about anesthesia they said that would be $30. I won't have that kind of money to spend until about Feb. 5th. I've called the local pet rescue center and they told me they don't have any space or funds and they're not able to help me either. I'm really attached to Chewy already so I would be devastated if something happened to him, but I really don't know what else to do. I'm not giving up yet, and I'm still trying to find some money to take him, but the vets said they can't even get me in to have him seen until Saturday. How long does it usually take before the teeth cause irreversible damage?

veggiegirl
01-23-14, 09:26 pm
Depending how long his teeth already are it could only be a couple of weeks.....no one would really know without actually seeing his teeth. Guinea pig teeth grow incredibly fast anywhere from 1mm- 5mm per week so things can get serious pretty quickly. If you really cannot afford it right now all you can do is continue to syringe feed and hope for the best but the sooner he gets to a vet the better. As they get worse which can happen VERY quickly he will be unable to swallow at all. Please check out this website, go to the guinea pig section be scrolling down the page. They have a photo of what this condition looks like and shows why quick intervention is SO important.

http://twinlakespetclinic.com/?page_id=152

veggiegirl
01-23-14, 09:34 pm
It should be noted that it really depends on the cause of this condition as to whether the teeth will need continual trimming or not. Genetically caused malocclusion and also that caused by injury may require repetitive trimming of the teeth every four weeks while if the condition is purely due to incorrect diet providing correct diet is provided after trimming malocclusion occurrence is less likely.

Malocclusion is my worst nightmare when it comes to guinea pigs we have had two die from it in the past despite tooth trimmings however that being said our vet is not experienced in exotic pet care and while they did their very best if the teeth were trimmed incorrectly then this may be why our two boys passed. It is truely heartbreaking but early intervention can save lives. Both our boys were taken straight to the vet when we noticed they were not eating as well and had lost a little weight. Our first boy got the slobbers and passed quickly even after having his teeth trimmed.

I can understand the lack of money I am a broke student right now but I really must emphasize the importance of a vet visit in this case. Good Luck I hope he holds on and pulls through.

CoffeeAddict
01-23-14, 09:58 pm
Thanks a ton for the advice. I'm hoping I can get him all taken care of. I'll update everyone when I figure out what's going on :)

ChristyAnne
01-23-14, 10:50 pm
He sure is one lucky lil guy to be found when he was...Sure hope he pulls through all of this...he is a very cute lil guy.

muddygrl
01-24-14, 01:40 pm
Just wanted to pop in and say glad to see you here and that you joined the site Brittany! :) I have learned so much from the resources on this site. Chewy is so lucky to have you. :)

CoffeeAddict
01-24-14, 08:02 pm
Chewy's poop is officially back to normal! :) It's been normal all day long. I suspected it was getting better earlier but now I know for sure. This has got to be a good sign. Tomorrow morning is his vet visit so I'm hoping we get everything else figured out.

ChristyAnne
01-24-14, 08:05 pm
that is good to hear,Wish u and lil Chewy luck tomorrow, He is so very lucky that he has u to look after him...

veggiegirl
01-24-14, 08:20 pm
That is so great to hear that his droppings are normal now! Well done all that loving care is paying off. Is he still slobbering? That is so great you have a vet appointment tomorrow, please let us know how you go. Did you manage to find a vet with experience treating guinea pigs? it can be hard to. Remember to ask him/her to check his back molars and GOOD LUCK to both you and Chewy :)

CoffeeAddict
01-25-14, 12:40 pm
Chewy went to the vet this morning! They vet said his teeth weren't overgrown really bad like I thought but that one of them was overgrown and one side of his back molars is ground to the gums and that there were a lot of pointy things on his teeth that were poking into his cheeks. So she fixed his teeth as much as she could. She gave him some pain medicine (metacam) and some antibiotics (baytril) and she gave us some special food for him with extra nutrients in it because he's severely malnourished. I'm taking him back in 10 days to get weighed and checked out again. She said he weighs about .5 kg right now.

ChristyAnne
01-25-14, 12:44 pm
So glad u got him to see a vet, sounds like the lil guy will pull through this whole ordeal...please keep us posted as he progresses he is such a cute lil guy..

CoffeeAddict
01-25-14, 02:50 pm
veggiegirl, so you can see the update :)

PiggieWigglies
01-25-14, 03:01 pm

Dawn dries out their skin, and you shouldn't use puppy shampoo for guinea pigs. They sell guinea pig shampoo at Petsmart or you can google Gorgeous Guineas; its homemade guinea pig soap for pigs.

veggiegirl
01-25-14, 08:21 pm
Oh so glad Chewy's vet visit went well CoffeeAddict! Sounds like the vet did all the right things. So some of his teeth were ground down way too far and others were sharp and just beginning to get too long. Wow wonder how the others became so short! How is he this morning? You are doing such a wonderful job caring for Chewy, I wish you both the very best and it really sounds as though he is receiving the very best of care. Just to give you some tips for the future not sure if anyone else has mentioned it to you but if not the most important part of a guinea pigs diet when it comes to dental health and keeping their teeth worn down to the correct length is Hay. Hay requires a lot of chewing and is very fiberous which is perfect for keeping piggies teeth in top condition. 80% of a Guinea Pigs diet should be Hay as it is also very important for digestive health. Guinea Pigs should be able to eat as much hay as they like (so that is they should have unlimited access to it). When I say hay it is important to also mention it should be GRASS HAY NOT LUCERNE. Lucerne is way too high in calcium for an adult guinea pig and can lead to bladder stones where as grass hay is low in calcium so will not cause any such troubles.

As well as unlimited grass hay guinea pigs should receive 1/8th cup or 1-2 tablespoons of a good quality Guinea Pig pellet which contains stabilized vitamin C per day. Guinea pigs like us are unable to produce their own vitamin C so it is extremely important that this is provided daily in their diet as they can get many life threatening illnesses if they do not get the required level of vitamin C. Another important part of the diet is 1 cup of fresh vegetables per day. This also helps the guinea pigs get their Vitamin C. GuineaLynx website has a useful chart on what vegetables and fruits are safe to feed guinea pigs and how much vitamin C each one contains.

I hope that info helps you out, if you need to know anything else please do not hesitate to ask :) For now Chewy's mouth needs time to heal and it sounds like you got some nutritional food from the vet for him but once he recovers and can begin to eat solids by himself remember to offer lots of Grass Hay to help keep his teeth at the correct length.

Thank you again for taking such good care of Chewy, we would love to see updated pics of him when you are able and keep up the good work :) Thank you to you caring Chewy has a new chance at life :)

CoffeeAddict
01-25-14, 11:04 pm
veggiegirl Chewy is doing so much better :) he's not drooling anymore at all and he's crazy enthusiastic about eating now that his teeth aren't hurting him anymore. I've got some timothy hay for him. I keep it in his cage but as of right now he has absolutely no desire to eat it at all. Even though he's been sick and having trouble eating, I've been spoon feeding him about 1 1/2 tablespoons of his pellets every day and today he's had about the same of his new food.

I just made him a fleece forest and he ran into it and started chirping(I think thats the word for the happy sound?) He decided to hang out in it for a little while before he ate some more and then he went back in his pigloo.

He's acting a lot better today and instead of just sitting around being all lazy and love-able he's actually been running around and sniffing us and giving kisses when we hold him. The crazy expensive vet visit was well worth the money lol.

I took this picture of him today. I couldn't get any really good ones though, because he refused to sit still :)

ChristyAnne
01-25-14, 11:15 pm
@veggiegirl (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=30029) Chewy is doing so much better :) he's not drooling anymore at all and he's crazy enthusiastic about eating now that his teeth aren't hurting him anymore. I've got some timothy hay for him. I keep it in his cage but as of right now he has absolutely no desire to eat it at all. Even though he's been sick and having trouble eating, I've been spoon feeding him about 1 1/2 tablespoons of his pellets every day and today he's had about the same of his new food.

I just made him a fleece forest and he ran into it and started chirping(I think thats the word for the happy sound?) He decided to hang out in it for a little while before he ate some more and then he went back in his pigloo.

He's acting a lot better today and instead of just sitting around being all lazy and love-able he's actually been running around and sniffing us and giving kisses when we hold him. The crazy expensive vet visit was well worth the money lol.

I took this picture of him today. I couldn't get any really good ones though, because he refused to sit still :)

that is great news...He is so cute, and one lucky lil piggy....Hope u get better Chewy.

veggiegirl
01-25-14, 11:29 pm
Oh such a cute little guy gorgeous photo! He already looks healthier! So glad to hear he is getting some good food into him, hopefully he will start to eat the timothy hay soon though as it requires the most chewing it will probably be the last thing he starts to eat on his own. Maybe you could try cutting up little pieces for him to make it easier to eat at first, might take a few days before he feels well enough to try it though. It is a really good sign that he is becoming more active though! He must be feeling much stronger and more energetic. Has he attempted to eat anything by himself yet? You could try offering little slithers of softer vegetables, maybe some romaine lettuce cut into little strips? LOL yes I know exactly what you mean by crazy expensive vet visit. My horse got sick Christmas Day and the vet bill was $600. 2 weeks later same problem though thankfully it passed by itself so no need for vet the second time round. you just never know when you might need one though and for some reason with horses it is always at night 'out of hours' or on a public holiday so you get hit with the extra fees :(

Artista
01-25-14, 11:43 pm
@veggiegirl (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=30029) Chewy is doing so much better :) he's not drooling anymore at all and he's crazy enthusiastic about eating now that his teeth aren't hurting him anymore. I've got some timothy hay for him. I keep it in his cage but as of right now he has absolutely no desire to eat it at all. Even though he's been sick and having trouble eating, I've been spoon feeding him about 1 1/2 tablespoons of his pellets every day and today he's had about the same of his new food.

So cute!!

CoffeeAddict
01-26-14, 12:07 am
Oh such a cute little guy gorgeous photo! He already looks healthier! So glad to hear he is getting some good food into him, hopefully he will start to eat the timothy hay soon though as it requires the most chewing it will probably be the last thing he starts to eat on his own. Maybe you could try cutting up little pieces for him to make it easier to eat at first, might take a few days before he feels well enough to try it though. It is a really good sign that he is becoming more active though! He must be feeling much stronger and more energetic. Has he attempted to eat anything by himself yet? You could try offering little slithers of softer vegetables, maybe some romaine lettuce cut into little strips? LOL yes I know exactly what you mean by crazy expensive vet visit. My horse got sick Christmas Day and the vet bill was $600. 2 weeks later same problem though thankfully it passed by itself so no need for vet the second time round. you just never know when you might need one though and for some reason with horses it is always at night 'out of hours' or on a public holiday so you get hit with the extra fees :(

He is eating the pellets a little bit on his own. Whenever I catch him eating them I let him try for a while before I take him out and feed him with a syringe or a spoon. I'm trying to give him the opportunity to do it on his own but I want to make sure he's getting as much as he needs to without having to work too much for it. I haven't tried cutting the hay up for him yet, but I'll try that in the morning. He's still eating carrots if I cut them up for him, but the only other veggies I've got for him right now are Kale and a green pepper and he's not really interested in those. I'm planning on going to the store tomorrow to get him some other stuff to try, though. I'm determined to get him better, and I think he's pretty determined too :) I really appreciate all the advice and the help I've gotten from this site. I'm looking forward to building him a cage and showing it off on here :P I'm so grateful that muddygrl saw my post on facebook about finding Chewy and all the help she's given me, including tell me to get on here.

CavyMama
01-26-14, 01:21 am

Puppy shampoo should not be used on guinea pigs. It is formulated for the pH level of a dog. Also, Dawn dish soap is used to get grease off of ducks and it can be used on the grease gland of a guinea pig to clean it but should not be used as an all over shampoo.

janinehunt
01-26-14, 08:35 am
Aw, what a lovely story! So glad Chewy found someone to look after him well and love him.

Why don't you try some soft vegetables like tomato, cucumber, zucchini and lettuce? And some fresh, untreated grass and herbs like coriander/cilantro and parsley? They might be easier for him to eat while his mouth heals. Go easy on the kale as it can be a bit gassy for piggies.

Good luck with the little guy and thanks for taking him in. He's such a cutie!

muddygrl
01-26-14, 08:55 am
If he doesn't like timothy hay, there are other types you can give him. They have orchard grass, alfalfa hay, timothy, oat grass (I think). He is young enough alfalfa will be fine, because young ones need the calcium in it. Mine really like the orchard grass I got at Petsmart.

veggiegirl
01-28-14, 07:36 pm
So glad to hear that Chewy is eating a few pellets on his own! That is definately a good sign! You are doing the right think letting him eat a few pellets before offering the syringe food as some pigs get lazy and decide not to bother trying to eat on their own as it is easier to be syringe fed. Good idea to give him some after eating the pellets on his own though as it will be sure to keep his strength up. Yeah maybe you could start by offering him a little fresh clean grass picked from your backyard to encourage him to begin eating the grass as it will be softer on his mouth too and once he gets used to that then you could try the hay as it will do the best job of keeping his teeth worn to the correct length. Please keep us updated, I am so glad that he is doing so well though, congrats :)

ChristyAnne
01-28-14, 07:46 pm
Oh that is so great to hear....I am so happy for u that Chewy is doing well