Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Red lump on inner eye

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It just looks like an eye to me. Do you have a closer shot? Is it just the red corner like we people have in our own eyes? Is it both eyes or just the one?

pinky

Cavy Slave
It could be a little bit of a prolapsed lid. She might have scratched it or got jabbed with hay. If the lid is actually protruding, you'd probably want to have a vet check it. I'd also be concerned that there could be a bit of hay caught under her lid. I don't like to mess around with their eyes. Personally, I'd have your vet check it and rinse the eye as a precaution. I have a guinea pig that had a prolapsed lid which looked like the red part of the eye was protruding out. The vet worked it back in, rinsed the eye and gave me sterile ointment to apply to it. It looked normal in a couple of days.

mercurybubbles8

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I did take her to the vet. She couldn't find anything but mentioned that she thought it was a growth on her third eyelid - though I thought I read somewhere guinea pigs don't have one. She gave me some eyedrops and steroids and said to follow up in a week and if it didn't go away, they would have to remove it. Thankfully after one eye drop, the next day it went down immediately

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.