Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Recycling old cages for new piggies

doubleagent214

Cavy Slave
I have a really nice rat cage that I am currently using for my piggy. (https://www.petco.com/product/106171/Petco-Rat-Manor-Habitat.aspx) I was curious if there would be any issue with continuing to use this cage for my little piggy? I know that they do not like mesh too much, but I figured that it was fine enough not to cause to much of an issue

Rayen

Cavy Slave
The front page of this website will tell you recommended sizes for cages, a 2x3 C&C cage (roughly 28 inches by 42 inches) is commonly accepted as the minimum size of a cage for a guinea pig. Also, rat cages tend to add height as additional room which doesn't work as well for guinea pigs, they need more open space to run and additional levels should be seen more as a bonus rather than compromising on the size of the base cage. Temporarily, I suppose that cage could work until you can find/build a more suitable cage, but it is a very tight squeeze and I would really suggest giving as much floor time as possible.

The wire mesh is more than a preference problem, guinea pigs can easily have their feet slip between the bars and can really do some serious damage. If you have to use the cage temporarily I would put down a decent layer of fleece to avoid any accidents.

lissie

Cavy Slave
That cage is far too small for guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are ground dwellers and do much better on a flat, one level cage. The cage can have levels, if the ramp is not too steep, and have sides so the can't fall off.

Wire bottom cages can cause a medical condition called Pododermatitis (Bumblefoot), which is very painful for guinea pigs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

doubleagent214

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys so much. I will be getting a better suited cage in a few weeks for the little piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.