Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleas?

tbunnysmom

Cavy Slave
Anyone ever had experience with their bunny having flees? TBunny's back has some rough patches and it really seems to bug him when I touch that area. I didn't think my cats had flees as I haven't noticed them being bothered by any. Has anyone treated their bunny before? I don't want to have to take him to the vet, as a bunny visit around here is over $60, and right now I really need to put the money towards making him a bigger cage.

Also, while I'm at it. I just can't seem to get him potty trained? He frequently pees not in the littler box I give him, but in the same one or two spots in his cage. That doesn't bug me so much (as it's easily cleaned) but it's the fact that who knows where he might go while out in the house. We just pulled up the carpet and put down wood flooring in the living room, so he refuses to come in there now, which is where he used to spend all his out of cage time. I would put a towel in one corner and he'd always pee on it, do some poop on it. It was easy enough to pick up the stray poops. With there being no more carpet in the house I don't know how to make him happy outside of his cage, or to get him to go in one spot.

I guess that's more like 3 topics isn't it?

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Your bunny shouldnt have fleas. The bare patches sound like it may be mites or lice which you HAVE to have treated by a vet. If you use something meant for other animals you can poisn the bunny. As far as the litter training.......is the rabbit spay or neutered? How old is the rabbit?

tbunnysmom

Cavy Slave
Okay, then I'll take him in this week.

He is neutered, I think he's a little over a year old.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Ok with him being fixed thats one in your favor since fixed bunnies are easier to train. Him being younger is a strike against you since younger buns are harder to train (not in all cases but most) What type of flooring is in his cage now? I would limit floor time until he is litter trained in his cage. When out for floor time keep an eye on how often he pees. If he is out for 10 mins and then has an accident then you know next time before 10 min to put him back in his cage and in his litter pan. I would clean the whole cage with vinegar and water to kill any urine smell. Then I would line the cage with newspaper and put his litter pan(s) in the corner where is pees the most. Then when he does pee on the paper, tear that part off and put it in the litter pan. Keep doin this until he gets the idea. My rabbit wanted 2 litter pans so you may have to add another. Also experiment with different litter. I was using yesterdays news for a year and then my guy didnt like it anymore, now he perfers aspen. Trial and error and dont give up. Pay attention to what he is telling you he likes and where he wants to go, adjust the cage to meet his needs. I hope this helps some.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
also what type of litter pans are you using? Mine wont use the corner pans so I had to get regualr cat litter pans

tbunnysmom

Cavy Slave
We have one med sized corner pan. We are about to start building him a bigger cage this week (actually gonna start putting the grids together this morning) So as soon as I get him in there I will start the training process again when he's settled in and I see where he likes to pee in there. Thanks.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I agree with Kimberly, and you can also try adding hay in the litterbox.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.