Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Is an Impaction in Our Future?

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
Hi- I have had my piggy for about 1 year now. Doodle is a 5 year old rescue; I don't know much about his previous owner, just that they let his teeth overgrow to the point he needed surgery. So long story short, he was abandoned, I don't know medical history until a year ago.

Since I've had him, I've noticed he's always had poos hanging out; I've never had a guinea pig before so I didn't think much of it. Lately, the poos have been getting less frequent and smaller in size. Usually they're clustered together like he passed 5 or 6 at once. He's now passing balls of cecal pellets the size of grapes. Appetite is great; free choice hay, Oxbow pellets, and fresh veggies twice daily, plus treats. He's very active; he does have small cage, but he is only in it 8 hours of the day when I am at school, otherwise, he is a free-range pig and has my bedroom to roam. Snuggles on the daily. I don't have another guinea pig, because I actually kind of stumbled into owning him; while I do enjoy owning him, I'm not in a position time/finance-wise to get a second pig.

He does get his sac cleaned once a week, and while I do find cecal matter in it occasionally, it's relatively clean. What else can I do to help avoid the impaction that I think is brewing? Is 5 too old to neuter and would it make a difference?

Other than the poo-problem, he's a very happy, chatty, hungry, spoiled pig. :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
That doesn't sound normal to me. Poos should be uniform, and pellet sized. I would take him to a Cavy savvy vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What exactly are you feeding him, and how much of each item?

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
He gets free choice timothy hay, 1/4 cup of pellets every 2-3 days (he doesn't like them too much), and about 1-2 cups of veggies (romaine lettuce, cilantro, a piece of fruit, and a carrot), plus treats. His appetite has declined a bit since I noticed the giant cecal ball, as have the number of his pellets. His sac is a normal size, but I cleaned his sac again yesterday and it was empty/relatively clean. I gave him a dose of Reglan this evening after noticing very few pellets in his cage. He does go through phases where he eats less for a few days (the last 2 times, the vets told me the same thing: Critical Care, Reglan, and Metacam, so I have all of those on hand) and then will go back to normal. He really enjoys being hand-fed so I try to avoid it; he would rather eat Critical Care than hay!

Since he's had a normal level of activity, I haven't called the vet yet, but I'm watching him very very closely.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have you tried cutting him back to just hay and pellets for a few days and see if his poops normalize? If they do, you could add the veggies back, one by one leaving a couple of days between each one, and see if something he eats is causing it.

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
That actually hadn't occurred to me! I will give that a try. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.