PDA

View Full Version : I must be mad.... i have a zoo!!.

mumof4andzoo
01-13-14, 02:43 am
Morning all from a very cold Britain.

I am a single mum to 4 children age range from 10 to 16, One of whom is a type 1 diabetic, another with autism, and a 10 year old who loves animals and i have a soft heart and cant say no.

We have: 4 Guinea pigs, 3 rabbits, 1 dog, 2 gerbils and an ageing rat . ( whoops, youngest just reminded me we also have an axoltl)

Brief description of our piggies.

1. Ollie, a houdini expert who can escape from anywhere. He is black with a smudge of brown on his head and one white paw. He is 4 months

2. Rupert, recently adopted after having already been through several homes, age unknown but estimated at about 3. Has quite a character , doesn't like other piggies.

3. Chestnut, so called because of her colouring, aged 1, heavily pregnant with her second litter and a bossy boots!!

4, Charlie, aged 1 a dwarf guinea pig with medical problems. A sweet piggy who doesn't make a noise.

We live in a zoo. Cages and animals everywhere, each and every one loved and well cared for.

The piggies belong to my youngest daughter, as do the rabbits and gerbils.

i will add more later, but right now i have to do my school run.

Great site

Maz and Lissa, ( youngest)

lissie
01-13-14, 03:04 am
Welcome to GPC!

3. Chestnut, so called because of her colouring, aged 1, heavily pregnant with her second litter and a bossy boots!!

Are you intentionally breeding her?

Princess_Piggie
01-13-14, 04:51 am
Hello from a fellow UK-er. I have no choice but to agree with you, it's freezing here lately haha!

What a collection of pets. I'm definitely jealous. I have two female guinea pigs, Daisy and Minnie (they say hello also).

Also - I have to add - if you are intentionally breeding Chestnut, please don't. I don't want to make assumptions, but if you are, we're all more than happy to give you information on why it's dangerous. If you have your boys living with girls, they need separating, and the site is full of ways to have extra cages and still make the most of the room you have to work with (stacked cages etc).

mumof4andzoo
01-13-14, 08:35 am
Hi,

No, the boys are seperate. Rupert has his own cage, As does Ollie.

Chestnut had already had one litter before we got her, unfortunately ollie managed to get out of his cage and i discovered him in the girls cage in the early hours one morning.

Ollie had chewed through the clips that held the side of his cage in place, pushed the side open for him to get out and climbed into the girls cage as they had a cage with sides but no top, The boys were in a different room to the girls.

I do fully enderstand why no deliberate breeding should go on, the dangers of lethals etc, plus the abundance of unwanted piggies. Chestnut and rupert were abandoned piggies. Chestnut had been abandoned when her first litter were stillborn 2 weeks early.

Charlie was bought from pets at home here in the uk and has so far had several trips to the vet. We discovered that she is a dwarf piggy with associated problems, part of her lungs have solidified through untreated pneaumonia from before we bought her. She is so very tiny and we take all the extra care of her that is advised to us from the vet. She racks up the vets bills but is so very worth it.

Chestnut we did take to the vets after ollies impromytu visit, but the vet said for her to carry the pregnancyand gave us all the info needed to care for her in the hope she carries these babies full term with no danger to her own health. She has had weekly check ups with the vet.

I have enough animals, so intentional breeding, is the biggest no no on the planet in my eyes and my daughter knows that and understands it well.

I have now with ollies cage, used metal tie wraps to keep his cage closed untill i can get a guinea proof cage that he cant get out of.

The boys are booked in to as my youngest calls it " loose their manhood" , at the end of this week.

Maz

mumof4andzoo
01-13-14, 08:45 am
Hello from a fellow UK-er. I have no choice but to agree with you, it's freezing here lately haha!

What a collection of pets. I'm definitely jealous. I have two female guinea pigs, Daisy and Minnie (they say hello also).

Also - I have to add - if you are intentionally breeding Chestnut, please don't. I don't want to make assumptions, but if you are, we're all more than happy to give you information on why it's dangerous. If you have your boys living with girls, they need separating, and the site is full of ways to have extra cages and still make the most of the room you have to work with (stacked cages etc).

Our very first guinea pig was called Maisy, she was also adopted from a family who no longer could be bothered with her. She was an old girl who had lived by herself all her life. When she passed away, she was roughly 6 years old according to the vet give or take a year .She was the start of our zoo.

Yes, we do have a collection of pets!! The rabbits are called, Humphrey ( big massive boy of mixed breeding who we adopted), Missy ( a dwarf rex) and smokey ( a netherlands).
The gerbils are jelly bean who is an albino, and Skitz who is nearly 4 which is very very old for a gerbil. She has turned from ginger to almost white. Bubbles is a 3 year old male rat who was also adopted. His brother squeak sadly passed a week after we brought them home.

Princess_Piggie
01-13-14, 10:40 am
I had a gerbil that lived til he was 5, you might have another year out of Skitz yet! Maxxie passed away after having two strokes in one last in the middle of last year, but I had him for five good years before he did. Gerbils are great pets :)

petgal49
01-13-14, 12:48 pm
I'm jealous of your pet family! You seem to be doing a great job with Chestnut's pregnancy by taking her to the vet. I am eager to see pictures of the babies when they arrive. I have one guinea pig, two cats and one dog. I would like more but I think this is all I can take on at the moment as I have recently had a very large vet bill for one of my cats. My next thing on my agenda is to get my dog neutered and his appointment for that is at the end of the month. Hope to see you more on the forum as you seem to have a lot of experience and stories to share!

Artista
01-13-14, 12:58 pm
I am the biggest animal lover. If I were rich, I would have a mansion with literally a pet zoo in it. I would rescue all that I could. That would be my dream if I won the lottery.

Veggielady79
01-13-14, 01:12 pm
Ollie had chewed through the clips that held the side of his cage in place, pushed the side open for him to get out and climbed into the girls cage as they had a cage with sides but no top, The boys were in a different room to the girls.

Wow, what a tenacious guy you have!! Is that normal that piggies can scale a cage? (I ask because I'm about to build an open top cage)

Welcome :)

RodentCuddles
01-13-14, 01:16 pm
Wow, what a tenacious guy you have!! Is that normal that piggies can scale a cage? (I ask because I'm about to build an open top cage)

Welcome :)

It's normal...1 grid for a male to get to females is no barrier for them at all. My boy Bubbles use to climb out of two girds high..luckily he hasn't in the past 5 months so am hoping he's retired his climbing life!

But if there is no reason for them to get out they wont...the only times I've heard of a pig getting out of their c&c cage was to get to the girls...so if you only have one gender then I wouldn't worry at all. I use open cages for my pigs and the ones in the rescue and don't have a problem. (:

Veggielady79
01-13-14, 01:25 pm
That's impressive, hahaha!! Just one male for us...but good to know!!

Amanda Branch
01-13-14, 01:45 pm
I'm getting my C&C cages this weekend and I have males and females. (Seperated of course) I didn't want to have a top on them but I don't want any accidental pregnancies either. I just had a momma give birth 5 weeks ago. (She came to me pregnant)

mumof4andzoo
01-13-14, 02:34 pm
Many thanks for all the replies, just a very quick post as we are watching Chestnut like a hawk at the moment, she seems to of grown considerably since this morning and cant seem to settle in any one place. Shes lying on her side a fair amount which is visibly moving. We estimate she is at about 56 days, from what i have read, it could go up to 72 days, earliest from 52 days.

Will take some pics of all the animals to post up.

Kelsie
01-13-14, 09:31 pm
It's so nice to meet you and hear about all your pets. Best of luck with Chestnut. I'll keep her in my prayers for a smooth and uneventful delivery. Please let us know when she has her babies.

On another topic may I ask what an Axoltl is? Is it a type of lizard?

mumof4andzoo
01-13-14, 11:57 pm
It's so nice to meet you and hear about all your pets. Best of luck with Chestnut. I'll keep her in my prayers for a smooth and uneventful delivery. Please let us know when she has her babies.

On another topic may I ask what an Axoltl is? Is it a type of lizard?

I may of not spelt it right, its other name is a mexican walking salamander. It lives underwater, has a tail, has gills, but no fins and has feet. Its also a meat eater so my youngest gets the job of feeding it. Its a cute thing. Looks like it has a permanant smile on its face. Unsure if your allowed to post links, so just have a google.
axolotl is the correct spelling.

Checked chestnut this morning, shes looking ok, laying on her side still.. I am working from home today so i can keep an eye on her as every now and then last night she wheeked and jumped up. We assumed a baby was on the move as otherwise she seems ok. She had a munch on her fave foods of pepper and banana.