Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest Getting a midwest cage

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
My husband and I have decided we are getting a midwest cage for our female guinea pigs. What are the pros and cons of this type of cage?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I recommend doing a search here for Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat (search button in in the upper right corner). Lots of thread will come up.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
From what I've read and seen. The biggest issue is the cloth bottom. The next issue is it is slightly small. It is able the min square footage for 1-2 guinea pigs.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I have a momma pig and 3 baby girls I'm putting in it. I think I need to go with a C&C cage. I have been comparing sizes and that seems more logical.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Definitely going to be too small for 4 full grown pigs. You will be cleaning it all the time and it will get stinky fast. I'd say the smallest you can go is at least a 2x5 (which will need at the minimum weekly cleaning) preferably a 2x6 or bigger if you have the space.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I am also not a fan of the cloth bottoms.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Definitely going to be too small for 4 full grown pigs. You will be cleaning it all the time and it will get stinky fast. I'd say the smallest you can go is at least a 2x5 (which will need at the minimum weekly cleaning) preferably a 2x6 or bigger if you have the space.

I agree. Maybe even go 3x4 or larger so everyone isn't squished together.

T1ggerPigLuvur

Cavy Slave
If you do get a Midwest cage, then I would recommend getting the coroplast base for the cage on the Guinea Pig Cages store HERE, because the cloth bottoms can be a hassle to clean.

However, I think you are right. By the time that you buy that, you might as well consider making or buying a C&C cage. They are cheaper, more customizable, and you can make it bigger.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I went with the Midwest cage since it was what my hubby would buy and we are expanding next week but my piggies seem terrified and all space. I have a cuddle cup in there and a cozy sack with the hay bag hanging on the side of the cage. Right now my 6 1/2 week old babies and momma are sharing since I do plan on expanding next week. I figure it's better than the store bought cages that I had. Anyways, is there anything I can do to help their transition easier?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Do they have any place to hide? You can drape towel or fleece over half the cage to make them feel more secure.

Are the babies all females?

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
Do they have any place to hide? You can drape towel or fleece over half the cage to make them feel more secure.

Are the babies all females?
Yes they are all female. I have had the cage in front of my dresser so I could put a fleece blanket in the drawers and drape it on half the cage but they still seem scared. It is making me so sad.

lissie

Cavy Slave

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
[/QUOTE]
I just put in the tunnel and added another cozy sack. So now there is a tunnel, 2 cozy sacks, and a cuddle cup. (All fleece) I also still have half the cage covered. I will continue to watch them today and hopefully with time they will learn to love the space : )

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Did you get the one with the lid? They are probably used to a more enclosed space. My piggie took a while to get used to a C and C cage but I promise they will love it once the transition is over. Also is this cage on the floor? They might be overwhelmed by being on the floor if they were used to being up higher before.

Take fleece blanket and cover up the whole back of the cage so that half the length is covered. Also you can put in a fleece forest, with so many pigs in the cage you will want to make it fairly big, probably across one whole short side of the cage. If you hang it a little before it touches the ground it won't get as dirty as fast.

I find tunnels to be really helpful as well. As rule baby piggies are pretty skittish anyway and momma has had lots of changes. Give them a couple of weeks to adjust. Also, when you offer them their veggies put it a little bit further out into the open so that they have some motivation to venture out. It took all my pigs weeks to months to become the pushy, spunky outgoing little beggars they are now.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
I didn't get a lid and yes the cage is in the floor. I have cozy sacks and tunnels in there. I put the veggies in the middle of the cage and they actually come out and eat them : ) Things are slowly getting better. I plan on making a fleece forest when I have some spare time. I love those things : )

bmdon

Cavy Slave
If you do get a Midwest cage, then I would recommend getting the coroplast base for the cage on the Guinea Pig Cages store HERE, because the cloth bottoms can be a hassle to clean.

However, I think you are right. By the time that you buy that, you might as well consider making or buying a C&C cage. They are cheaper, more customizable, and you can make it bigger.

I couldn't find a cheap C&C cages, the cheapest I found was about $70 and it was tiny...

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@bmdon If you find storage cubes and corrugated plastic and build it yourself it is very cheap. I happen to live in an expensive area so my local sign shop had a pretty steep price on the corrugated plastic, it was $40 dollars for a sheet (8x4ft), usually it's cheaper than that. When all was said and done the whole cage costed me $75, which was the same price as a tiny store bought cage and I was able to make a 2x4 with a 1x2 hay loft. :)

You can find the storage grids at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, they usually have coupons for it too. I bought mine at Store Supply Warehouse online because they were the cheapest I could find and they priced it per grid so you could say exactly how many grids you wanted.
Corrogated plastic can be found at Lowes or Home Depot but the cheapest option is usually your local sign shop. You can also get the packaging tape and zip ties at Lowes or Home Depot. :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I couldn't find a cheap C&C cages, the cheapest I found was about $70 and it was tiny...

In my opinion, you can build C&C cage for a much better price per square foot than a Midwest Habitat cage.

See these places for grids (cubes), most of them you can order online and they will ship to the local store for free. You can then pick up from the store.

Sears:
https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-st...p-00913332000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Kmart:
https://www.kmart.com/stor-floor-st...W435219990001P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Bed Bath & Beyond
(broken link removed)

Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-White-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Four-Cubes-Interlocked/5005200

Amazon:
(broken link removed)

DON'T GET CUBES FROM TARGET. They have different bar spacing and can cause deaths if guinea pigs get their heads stuck in the grids.

Coroplast:

Home Depot (check store inventory before you head there, and print out a copy of the page with you. Most Home Depot staff won't know what you're asking for when you say coroplast)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202771364?catalogId=10053

Sabic Polymershapes. This place is a plastic warehouse. Call the location near you for prices. Most people I've heard of got quoted between $10 - $20 for 4x8 ft sheet.
(broken link removed)

Levenn

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure you can also get a TON of grids off of ebay as well...I had to buy grids from bed bath and beyond and it cost me 20 bucks for a box of 17 grids :x

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
My husband found 2 tables in the basement that my cage will fit on even after the expansion!!! Piggies are getting more active now but mostly in the evening and at night. They tend to stay in the cozys during the day. Hopefully getting them off the floor they will be more comfy and come out and play more during the daylight hours too!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.