Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Getting piggy neutered tomorrow, tips?

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
I'm getting my little boy Peeve neutered tomorrow with the Humane Society, and I'm a little nervous! Does anyone have any last minute tips they can give me on what I should bring for him on his way there and what to give him post-op?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can feed him up until about an hour before the surgery. Guinea pigs can't vomit, so there's no danger of them aspirating vomitus into their lungs.

Make sure they give you pain medication for him. Keep the cage very clean so he won't develop an infection. Weigh him twice a day to make sure he isn't losing weight. See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on how to hand feed him if he won't eat. He MUST eat, or he'll go downhill very quickly and you'll be in danger of losing him. If he'll eat on his own, feed him pretty much whatever he wants with the exception of a lot of fruit or other sweets.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Keep him in a small cage on white towel or white fleece to monitor bleeding.
Change the towels/fleece at least 3 times per day.

See this link for more tips.

https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.