Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Bite/Scratch from new pig or rash?

chippy11

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'm new here and we just adopted a new piggy from the Seattle Animal Shelter a few weeks ago. They were great about spending time with us to make sure our pigs bonded. We have a 3 year old non-neutered male (Oreo) and got a 6 month neutered male (Tango). They seemed to be doing ok at the shelter. No fighting, just a lot of butt sniffing. When we brought them home, they spent neutral time together and Oreo seemed to get a bit more aggressive. He's a bigger pig. Lots of mounting and gutter rumbling. After about 4 days he finally chilled out and we put them in our cage together. We bought Tango a new house, but they've since switched houses. Yesterday we noticed this on Oreo (the older one). It looks more like a rash than a scratch as there is no blood around the fur.

Do pigs get rashes from stress? Could this be a bite or scratch, but was cleaned up by the time we saw it?

We took the new one to the vet last Friday and he checked out fine.

Thoughts

Attachments

IMG_6007.jpg IMG_6008.jpg

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm by no means a vet, but they look like wounds to me. I couldn't tell you the cause though.

Out of interest, why aren't you housing the boys together? Or are you, and I've misread?

chippy11

Cavy Slave
We ARE housing them together now. It just took about a week before we felt like our older one wasn't acting as bossy. Now the older one has this bite/rash thing. The new one is young and smaller. It seems out of character for the new one to bite the older one, but we aren't experts by any means.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.