Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Pigs chewing on the grid bars

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
I just finished building my upper loft and my pigs LOVE it but now one of my pigs Dewey is chewing on the grid bars. The only thing that is between them and the bars is a piece of wood that is about 2 inches tall. But I'm worried it will hurt my pigs teeth. They have plenty of wood chews in their cage. Is there anything I can do to try to stop his chewing?

nakedwheekers

Cavy Slave
Mine used to do it too. But he quit when he realized it wasn't very fun and wasn't as awesome as his other chewies. Maybe make sure he has other great things to chew up there... some fruit tree sticks maybe.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wound up having to put plexiglass on the inside of my cage to keep one of mine from chewing.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I believe that poster frame or binder spines will fit on a grid, might need to go up to the larger 80 page size that walmart sells though.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
One of mine does it too when it's veggie time. It's annoying but he has not hurt his teeth as of yet . It is a possibility though.

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
Mums piggy does this also when it is veggie time and has been doing so form three years. He has never injured his teeth however I am always worried that he might break a tooth.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone so far! I might just have hang something there but I'm not sure because Dewey also loves to sleep in the same spot he chews..

NENGLERT

Cavy Slave
I had to divide my cage because I found out I had 1 male and 1 female. Mine are chewing on the bars dividing them. My guess is that they are trying to get to each other. It is not continuous, but I was worried as well. She I stop this behavior when I see it?? should I be worried???

Veggielady79

Cavy Slave
My guy was doing this like crazy tonight! I finally opened his door for open floor time and he practically flew out of his cage, so I hope he does not learn this behavior will get him out of his cage all the time :p

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
@NENGLERT I would probly put more than just a grid separating them. I would add some coroplast too because I've heard some stories (not completely sure if they're true or not) of sows getting pregnant through grid bars by a male. I don't want to add coroplast because its too small to buy a big expensive sheet though so that wouldn't work for me :/

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
@Veggielady79 lol that's what I think too! When he chews on the bars I want to give him more veggies so he's quiet but I don't want him to think I'm rewarding him for bad behavior

NENGLERT

Cavy Slave
piggy getting pregnant though grids THAT IS SCARY!!!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wound up having to put plexiglass on the inside of my cage to keep one of mine from chewing.

The weekend before Thanksgiving is when I rebuilt the cages into 3x3 stacked. New coroplast for both. Plenty of hay, wood, I throw in uncoated paper plates, toilet paper rolls etc.

I use to think they did it to get to the old guy's cage next to them but its under them now. Muggle was the main but I have caught Huggle doing it too. All 4 sides are chewed and as you can see some is chewed down to where poo flies out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.