Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Buying a c&c cage?

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Haha I feel like I am asking so many questions:p but anyways. Right now my two female guinea pigs are in a midwestern guinea pig cage. They are three months old right now so they are tiny and they love it but I don't. I absolutely hate the canvas bottom. I don't have much more room to a bugger cage than that one so I would get a 2x3. I just want the chloroplast bottom!!! Should I just save my money for more things to go in the cage or a cage itself. Lots of advice would be greatly appreciated on cages and caring for younger piggies:)

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Did you check your local sign shop? They have corrugated plastic for way cheaper than anywhere else usually. You could also try Home Depot or Lowes, but they tend to be more expensive. That way you could make the cage base yourself and use the extra money for things in their cage. Most people get there grids from bed bath and beyond (make sure they are 9 squares across and that each opening is 1.5 inches or less) but I got mine at the store supply warehouse online. They were the cheapest by far and the price was per grid so you could exactly however many grids you wanted.

So did you make sure both your piggies were girls? If you aren't sure you need to separate them. They can mate in about three seconds.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You can buy a pre cut and pre scored coroplast bottom for the midwest from the guinea pig cage store: https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/midwest#.UsdCFHnnlFI or make one yourself for $13 at home depot (or buy a sheet of coro from a sign shop).

You could buy a 2x3 cage from the cage store for about $70 ($56 for the cage, $13 or so for the shipping) or buy the materials and make one yourself for about $40.

If money is no problem, then buying the cage from the cage store will save you time and effort. If you need a lid for the cage it would be a little more, I prefer closet shelves to the grid tops though, they are sturdier.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
+1 with traysea. The other place you can check for grids is sears or bed bath and beyond . Sears has a six cube set for 21.99 and bb&b has four for 19.99 plus two extra shelves that I used for bunk beds. It realy is up to you which way you go if it's only a bottom ur after go wth a coraplast tray and your delema is over . If it is a whole house change then go creative with the grids and make ur own cage. Good luck .
Korey.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Thank you all! I think I might do this over the summer since it is quiet busy for me right now. Thank you for all the answers!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.