Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Guinea Pig Sneezing?

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
I have two new 3 month old female guinea pigs. I just recently had one before the two new ones but she had a scab that could have been mites and my mom made me take her back because she can't deal with vet bills because we are running VERY VERY low on money. Anyways one of the three month olds seems to be sneezing more than the other. She usually only sneezes like 3 or 4 times after she eats hay (which is a lot haha!)and after she sneezes, she wipes her nose I'm not sure if they all do that but I am trying to give as much information. She eats and drinks normally, popcorn runs laps, and is very vocal(I've only had her for three days!) Also, the other one is very scared and rarely comes out to eat hay. I'm thinking it might be the hay? Also, the sneezing one lays in the hay rack and digs her face in the hay so could it be just the hay? I'm very worried and I really don't want to take her to the vet.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hay dust can cause sneezing, yes. If she's only sneezing right after she's dug through the hay, or when you've just put fresh hay in, I wouldn't personally be too worried.
When you say she wipes her face, are you sure she isn't cleaning herself?
this is a video of how pigs clean themselves.

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much! She was just cleaning herself. I just put in fresh hay when I noticed the sneezing, too!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yeah, mine tend to have a little sneeze when they've been nuzzling through the hay as well. It's just the dust from the hay, you may want to look into whether or not there's a brand of hay that's been dust-extracted :) (Not sure if that can even be done, or if it's done with all hays, but worth a look!)

I think it's super cute when my girls clean themselves. Minnie does it standing on top of the house, then looks at me like 'Aren't I purrrrttyyy' :D

CavyCzar

Cavy Slave
my pookie sneezes when she is eating her hay also. sometimes just spontaneously tho. pookie likes to sit on people and groom herself then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.