Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Looking for a vet, what type of info can I get about the Dr. without an appointment

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
I had mentioned in my introduction Truffle had gotten very ill, from everything I can tell this is the healthiest I have seen him since the day he came home. Thinking Truffle might be a boy after all but still not positive. So I do not need a vet asap, but I would like to do a check up and make sure he really did fully recover. Because of his age (I am guesstimating still under a year) and am thinking that the case of malnutrition could have possibly effected his development in some way.

I have found only two vets within about an hour drive of me, which I find very strange considering I live in a very populated and diverse area. When I called I of course spoke with the receptionist. One of the receptionist did not have very much information about services of guinea pigs, he told me that any questions I have I will need to make an appointment with their exotics vet and she can answer them for me. The other receptionist at least made me feel better about how little I knew about guinea pigs when I got Truffle lol. I mentioned to her I was considering getting a second guinea pig as a friend so I wanted to know if they offered spay/neuter services in case that was something I would want to do later when she proceeded to tell me about how guinea pig litters are small and the babies are so so cute she didn't understand why I wouldn't want babies. Receptionists are not the doctors of course so I won't let that alone scare me away.

The cost of the office visits were not outrageous but more than I would like to pay just to find out if the vet I would be using is not an idiot lol. Without going in for a visit what type of information can I find out about the doctor? I assume like number of years of experience, and what services they provide but I don't know what else. I did find out one of the doctors only has two guinea big patients both with the same owner.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't see a vet that had only two guinea pig patients.

You can look for a vet at www.guineapigzone.com -- there's a database of them there, as well as ratings and comments from guinea pig owners. There's also a list of vets at Guinea Lynx, but it might be out of date. Or, if you post the name of the city nearest you, someone here might be able to recommend a vet for you. You can also google "exotic vets" and the name of your city, and you'll get a list of vets. Some of them will have websites, and if so, they'll usually list the qualifications of the vets.

If you're not sure about his gender, see (broken link removed), or post pictures here.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Found one with great reviews on the guinea pig zone, the vet that they specifically reviewed has mostly retired but there are still others that work for her so that seems worth checking out. Only real concern is they are a 'house call' vet and while I don't mind driving an hour south I would not expect them to drive up here, so I need to see if there is somewhere I could go and take Truffle.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Call them and ask. Sometimes information on the website is out of date, or they have services they don't advertise for some reason.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
It is to late in the evening here for me to call but I sent them an email, I will call Monday if I do not hear back.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
I guess vets should pay their receptionists more because I just made an appointment with a vet based mostly on the conversation with the receptionist. The vet did have very good reviews online but none were any type of small mammal specific. I called the office and unlike any other receptionist I spoke to this one did not need to check or think about if they treated guinea pigs, they did not have to look up the cost of a visit (some it was not even in the computer). She knew all the answers like I was asking about my cat. The price was right around average, so we are going in Monday.

I was thinking of bringing Truffle to the office in his old small cage, but maybe I shouldn't even carry around something that big. I don't like the idea of putting him in a cardboard box but maybe that is a better idea.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If you don't have an animal carrier, a sturdy cardboard box or even a laundry basket lined with a towel will work. I also like to have lots of greens for the trip.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.