Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet Winston & Rockii.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone!

I'm Jovo (or you can call me Jo or my user name) and I'm very new to guinea pigs. I've found a new love! After my daughter wanted one for Christmas, I did tons of research and found I myself wanted one, lol. I used to not be a fan of GP actually. When I was younger, they ALWAYS peed on me.

Anyway, so for Christmas we both got little piggies! Meet Winston (black and white - mine) and Rockii (white and light brown - my daughter's, who inspired on spelling it R-O-C-K-I-I).

Here's our story.

We bought Rockii, from a mom and pop pet store before I knew the dangers and dad stories associated with them. Then when I wanted a piggy for myself I found out about it all so I liked for rescues and adoptions. I told my husband about the ones I found but he ended up buying another from same said pet store. After Christmas I told him that if we ever get another, it HAS to be a rescue or adoption. I cringe now I think about our mistake but it won't be happening again.

We currently have a pet store cage (I hate it, and we are drawing up plans to make it into a double Decker for more room.)

Because their cage is small right now, and because we love them oh so much, we spend hours a day on the floor (safely away from our dogs of course) and tons of lap/cuddle time!

So far, we've tried carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper and kiwi. They go BONKERS for kiwi and Rockii's favorite is bell pepper and Winston is zucchini. (I've added a picture of Rockii's messy face after pepper time, lol)

Rockii was born in the store and is a year old so is super friendly and not a whole lot skittish while Winston is opening up more and more every day. During floor time, Winston does many laps at first, squeaking away and chatting and then settles, lol. If I put hidies in, they just chill in there (after laps), but I've read that they'll move around more when they get more used to it.

We currently have newspaper lining the cage with fleece on top. A corner litter box and rolled up fleece for a hidy and bed! They love the bed! We'll have the renovations for the evil cage done within the month! Is there somewhere I can share my cage plans and get ideas?

I'm always learning about them and came upon this site and forum and thought this would be an awesome opportunity to learn even more about my new cavy loves and meet people who also have these beautiful creatures!

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!!

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1388674460729.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1388674603065.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1388675540970.jpg

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
My name's Jovon, not Jovo....I HATE auto correct, lol.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi, Jovon, (pretty name) Welcome! Your guinea pigs are beautiful. Double check to make sure they're both the same sex. Pet stores are notorious for mixing up genders. This site is a great place to get information.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, Pinky!

I did. They are definitely boars... Rockii is more mature and Winston, while he's only a months old, he's tried mounting Rockii and his anatomy is very present. Actually, here's a question.... Why would Winston sometimes try to mount Rockii? Maybe he's going through puberty? Sh I was dominance? He does that vibrating pur thing sometimes (but they don't fight) and I've read is to show dominance or displeasure at something.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, Pinky!

I did. They are definitely boars... Rockii is more mature and Winston, while he's only a months old, he's tried mounting Rockii and his anatomy is very present. Actually, here's a question.... Why would Winston sometimes try to mount Rockii? Maybe he's going through puberty? Sh I was dominance? He does that vibrating pur thing sometimes (but they don't fight) and I've read is to show dominance or displeasure at something.

Males and females mount others. It's a sign of dominance. They're trying to show the other one that they're the boss. The vibrating sound is them vocally telling the other that they're the boss.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I figured as much.

Now when we fix the cage to be bigger with ramps, if we adopt another male, we should separate them with a divider right? I'll raf some more threads on that.

Is there a thread to share cage plans and get feedback?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Extra levels in cages don't tend to count as extra space, as some pigs don't understand ramps/won't use them, therefore won't get any use of the extra level. For example, many people have hay lofts etc in their C&C cage, but they don't count towards the size of the cage. My advice would be to build an extension on your cage, instead of building upwards, so you'll definitely be providing extra space.

Welcome to the site, and welcome home to your piggies too!

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Welcome Jovon, Winston and Rockil! I'm Stephanie and it's nice to meet you! :) They are very cute!

Guinea pigs are known for usually taking quite a while to warm up and get completely comfortable with their situation. (My piggie was an exception... She's weird. Haha) So don't be worried about Winston being shy at first, with enough handling, hand feeding veggies, talking to them, and just being around in general, he'll come out of his shell. It sounds like he's already coming out by doing zoomies during floor time! Hehe.

As for a thread with cage ideas and getting feedback, I don't think there is a general thread for that. The closest thing to that I can give you, is a thread called 'show me your cage pictures." If you check the 'About Cages' section of the forum you could scan the titles of the threads and see if there are any others, but you probably already did that. Most people with cage questions just start their own thread but I think a general cage thread about cage plans would be a neat thing, you should start it. :)

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Oh I'll do that! Nice to meet you too!!

Yeah, you can tell Winston is way more comfy than when he first got here! Brittany (my daughter) holds Rockii and I usually hold Winston and sometimes we switch. Winston usually won't eat his veggies unless I hand feed them...weird, lol.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Oh Rockii! Not Rockil, haha, sorry I read that wrong.

That's adorable! Lol I personally think the weirder the better! That's one of the many fun parts about owning a piggie, they all have their weird/cute things they do. Getting to know their personality is so much fun! :)

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
So cute I love thier faces adn those guinie mouths are so expesive. Welcome to the fold I just checked in as well.
Korey

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
Thank you thank you! !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.