Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Was a vegetarian for 6 years..

Odella

Cavy Slave
... and I started eating meat just 5 months ago. It feels alright, but I have a feeling that I will return to being a vegetarian in a few years. I don't support the induatry, but I didn't get the right nutritients when I was a vegetarian and ended up being sick many times. If I go back to vegetarinism, I will have to get better at cooking my own food and such.

My boyfriend and I have also been discussing having children. How does only vegetarian food affect a growing baby? And in the future, will I cook only vegetarian food, or meat for my boyfriend and my child? These are questions we will have to dscuss, but I'd love to hear from someone who's actually made this work.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on personal opinion. Someone I work with is vegetarian and so is her husband. They have a 3 year old daughter. They both believe their daughter should have the opportunity to eat meat and get the nutrients she needs from meat while she is growing. Then, when she's old enough, she will be allowed to make the decision as to whether or not she wants to continue or not. I'm sure all nutrition could be met without meat and without supplements, as long as your diet is well-balanced. I don't really know enough about it other than that! Not sure how it would affect pregnancy, either.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
It is perfectly safe to raise a vegetarian child, and it is perfectly safe to have a vegetarian pregnancy. My husband and I will be raising vegetarian children, even though he is not vegetarian himself.

My sister and her husband are both vegetarians; their son is now 6 months old. My sister ate no meat during her pregnancy, and didn't have a single problem. Her baby is on soy formula now, and is just beginning solid foods, but will never receive any meat from my sister and brother in law. He is the healthiest baby I've ever met; he's never been sick. My sister and her husband rarely get sick; I rarely get sick.

laura220

Cavy Slave
I thought once your body becomes used to not digesting meat getting back on meat would make you sick. Meat just digusts me.:yuck:

A friend of mine is a born and raised vegetarian, she's really healthy. I also have a diabetic friend who's vegetarian and she gets on very well.

Odella

Cavy Slave
laura220 said:
I thought once your body becomes used to not digesting meat getting back on meat would make you sick. Meat just digusts me.:yuck:

A friend of mine is a born and raised vegetarian, she's really healthy. I also have a diabetic friend who's vegetarian and she gets on very well.

I didn't get sick when I started eating meat again, but it didn't taste very nice. After the third time or so, I started enjoying it. But you know, I get such a guilty conscience. I know eating meat isn't right. Our teeth aren't design for it, neither is our bodies. There are studies that show that the appendices could have been included in the digestive system, making it easier for the body to digest grass.

I'll have to discuss this with Sebastian, but thank you for all your inputs. They're really welcome :)

Susan W

Cavy Slave
For those of you who intend to raise vegetarian children, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but please be careful to monitor the amount of protein they get and make sure it is enough. Not getting enough protein is especially bad for a growing child, and can cause many health problems. Raising them vegetarian would be much better for them than raising them vegan at least, the eggs and milk will help a lot (I know you didn't say vegan, but I'm just saying for the sake of the thread).

A pregnant woman (according to a physiology book I have) needs an additional 30 grams of protein per day over the average person's daily recommended (which it says is 0.4 grams per pound of your weight). After the baby is born, and if she's nursing, it is then reduced to 20 grams over the average person's.

Odella

Cavy Slave
Susan W said:
For those of you who intend to raise vegetarian children, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but please be careful to monitor the amount of protein they get and make sure it is enough. Not getting enough protein is especially bad for a growing child, and can cause many health problems. Raising them vegetarian would be much better for them than raising them vegan at least, the eggs and milk will help a lot (I know you didn't say vegan, but I'm just saying for the sake of the thread).

A pregnant woman (according to a physiology book I have) needs an additional 30 grams of protein per day over the average person's daily recommended (which it says is 0.4 grams per pound of your weight). After the baby is born, and if she's nursing, it is then reduced to 20 grams over the average person's.

THANK YOU for that response, that was just what I needed. When you're a parent, you also have to see that you child gets all the right food, of course; to risk your own child's health just to suit your own ideology is stupid. IF I can find vegetarian food that adds up to that amount of protein, I'll do it. But it's still a question of eating the right food, for me.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
People in the US generally get way more protein than they really need.

Jeanne

Cavy Slave
I think the biggest problem with a vegan (to a lesser extent vegetarian) diet is a lack of vitamin B12 and (for women) iron. If you eat a right amount of veggies, and drink soymilk fortified with B12 (almost all are), then you will get everything you need.

I have been a vegetarian for 11 years now. I became a veggie when I was 13. I have never had a protein problem. I was anaemic for a short time because I thought I could just eat french fries and drink milk... But protein is in practically everything, including fruits and veggies. Just a lesser (and healthier) amount. Protein overconsumption is a huge problem in the Western world.

jettyman

Cavy Slave
My old roommate has an eight year old daughter who hes raised strict vegan her entire life. Shes never even been vegetarian. Her mother was also vegan while she was pregnant. Shes actually healthier and smarter then most kids her age. I dont know much about her diet or where her dad looked for information but if you can do it vegan you can definatly do it vegetarian. This day in age meat isnt required for anything.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I juiced carrots and ate vegitarian for a year. I only ate meat on Sundays when we would go out to dinner. What was so strange is I actually detoxed for about 6 weeks. It was amazing. I was blue and would cry at the drop of a hat and then one day the cloud lifted. I would like to do it again but the life of a student who will so be doing clinicals is more then enough change in my life right now.I have a macrobiotic recipe book. Has anyone ever done that? It will also detox your body.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.