Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to the forum and have a Pregnant Guinea Pig!

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Hello all :) my name is Amy and I was given a guinea pig about a month ago by my cousin who developed allergies to her. This happened just over Thanksgiving and I traveled to Maryland to visit my cousin, and wound up coming home with a guinea pig :eek:hmy: who was way to young (vet said maybe 2-3 weeks old! ) and later died. This is my current story :rolleyes:. I am no stranger to guinea pigs, had them growing up thru my early adult life, 6 total in all each living to 6-8 years. When we got home with this guinea pig I realized she wasn't eating, tried syringe feeding her a pellet mash every 2-3 hrs even at night and the usual emergency protocol. Took her to a vet who said I was doing everything possible for her. I'm also a nurse by the way at my children's school, and even took her with me there to feed her. Needless to say she lived only 4 days after we arrived home and I broke down and bought another ( Meeka female) before she died thinking maybe she was lonely, I did however quarantine the other just to be on the safe side. Once she died and once again faced with the dilemma of getting her a playmate, I broke down again and bought another female from the pet store (Milly). We live in a small town no where near any guinea pig rescue, believe me I would have adopted thru there if at all possible. I've now had the girls for about 3 weeks ( I did sex them both to make sure before buying them) but low and behold Milly is pregnant! I worked as an ob nurse for several years so the birthing process itself is not new to me, but I did call the pet store to let them know they sold me a pregnant piggy! They preceded to tell me oh we told people she might be pregnant, but they sure as heck didn't tell me! No way after what Me and my children had just been thru would I get one that's pregnant. Anyway I have no desire to give her up or her babies. I can feel and see atleast two babies moving a lot and hear two sets of heartbeats with my stethoscope. My guess is she is due any day, feels like her pelvic bone has separated. I had already been weighing her because of the incident with the one that died, and wanted to make sure she's thriving along with Meeka. She's doubled her weight and eats/drinks non stop it seems lol. I did go thru a guinea pig birth once when I was 11 so I do know somewhat what to expect, but my main question is should I leave the two girls in the same cage? I separated them last night but Milly wouldn't eat so I but Meeka back in and she's purring up a storm. Any thoughts welcome, thank you!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it's best to leave them together as Meeka, your other sow, can help with the babies and provide Milly comfort. There's no need to separate them, but make sure you give Meeka a little hand-feed of hay now and again in case Milly's stealing it all ;)

Are you planning on keeping the babies?

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Most definitely :) I have never given up any animal that I accept responsibility for in the first place. :love: I've already got enough materials for however this works out to build adequate C & C cages lol.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Gosh well you're just one of the best piggie mamma's I've ever come across! Any chance of Pigtures? :D

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
I'll try to post some: here it goes

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Here are a couple more:
This is momma to be Milly

This is Meeka

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Awwww they're adorable! And so's your dog! I take it they get on pretty well?

PS In the first picture those are some comfy looking piggies! My pigs love sitting in that little groove between my legs too haha.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
OMG OMG OMG OMG!! The cuteness is BLINDING!!!

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Yes I have another small dog as well and they are both very protective of them :). Treat them like puppies or something lol. They are both pretty chill girls :eek:

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Oh and welcome to the forum Amy! haha. I'm Stephanie and it's nice to meet you! :) ...I'm very happy you're keeping the soon to be here pups but at the same time I really want one hehe :3 Milly's face is making me cry it's so cute. lol

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the welcome! They are very cute and Milly loves to give kisses. Meeka is quite the snuggler and is content to sleep in your lap or chest. :D

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
They r adorable.. and so is it puppy. :)

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Well weighed Milly today, lured her onto the scale with a green bell pepper, she can't resist lol. She's 2 lbs now! Started at 1 lb 3oz when I got her lol. Meeka is up too but not nearly like Milly, shes at 1 lb now started at 13 oz. I have take out some of their hidey castles like things and replaced with a small step stool they can get under. Guess I'm scared Milly will try to deliver in there when she can barely fit thru the opening lol. Milly has nipples out and pelvis definitely separated. Pretty sure two babies still but could always be hiding one in there. Babies active and kicking with strong heartbeats. Surely won't be much longer. Probably deliver tonight while we are out celebrating New Years which kinda scares me lol.

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Still no babies :(. Definitely looks like they have moved down the birth canal if that makes since lol. The babies use to stick out her sides more and now looks like her hips are bigger. Still seeing movement and Milly still eats great, purrs and snuggles next to Meeka a lot. Vet appointment tomorrow for the girls and our red slider turtles. I'll be glad to see what the vet has to say, either way.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
You take the cutest piggy pictures! I really hope everything goes well with the birth :D

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Awe thanks :cool:. Me too, I'm just patiently waiting trying not to be nervous, don't want that vibe affecting Milly lol. My dog Maya , the one in the pic, hates it when I'm upset, she'll start pacing back and forth. Kinda concerned about the size of those babies. Seem big to me, but I have nothing to compare it with. Glad I have a exotic pet vet (who sees many guinea pig patients) on standby for an emergency c-section if need be. But praying and fingers crossed she does it all on her own. :love:

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
Piggies and turtles all doing well. Milly should give birth any day which I kinda already figured lol and looks like 2-3 babies. Babies size feels good too and she doesn't think Milly will have any problems delivering. Discussed neutering any boy baby's she might have. Can't wait to see what these little ones look like! lol

GuineaNation

Cavy Slave
Wow!! You are an amazing piggie owner! I can't wait to see some pics! I'm sick currently so this is the days excitement for me... lol

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
So exciting! I'm praying for a safe delivering for her and the pups! Can't wait to see those cuties! :3

WonderPets

Cavy Slave
We have 2 babies! Mom and babies doing well. Post pics later as they were just born. So excited and relieved, everyone is ok!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.