Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Ben's Feet

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Ben has deformed feet (front and back) from gross neglect in his previous home. He has always hobbled but has not had any problems getting around. Lately I have noticed that he is favoring his right back leg and when he lays down to rest he is laying like this, holding his left back foot up:

photo(1).jpg
(Sorry for the poo, it was before cage sweeping time)

I think it might be time to get Ben on some sort of pain medication. What can vets do for guinea pigs and long term pain management, if anything? Is there anything at home I can do to make him more comfortable? I really don't want Ben's mobility to determine his quantity of life left. He's a sweet old man who's had a hard life and deserves the rest of it to be lived out as comfortably as possible.

I estimate Ben to be around 5 years old. He weighs 2 lbs. He is still able to get around the cage without noticeable problem. He eats and drinks just like the other guinea pigs

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh poor Ben :( And he's such a beautiful pig as well!

I don't know what they can do for pain management, but I do believe when it comes to long term pain management medication, a 'stomach stabilizer' sort of thing is provided to protect the internal organs since they're being battered by medication frequently.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Ben is the sweetest pig we have. He's just a little love bug. I really want him to feel as comfortable as possible in his old age.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I know exactly how you feel. I had a very old dog, Chip, that suffered with an entire arsenal of ailments and illnesses in his final months.
Fingers crossed your vet will be able to provide an adequate pain medication! Give Ben a little snuggle from me hehe.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Poor piggy. I hope the vet can do something for him.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Poor Ben. Pigs can take Metacam on a long-term basis, but you may have to work on the exact dosage that will give him pain relief but that on't zonk him out or affect his gut motility. Have you had an x-ray to check for arthritis?

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Poor Ben. Pigs can take Metacam on a long-term basis, but you may have to work on the exact dosage that will give him pain relief but that on't zonk him out or affect his gut motility. Have you had an x-ray to check for arthritis?

No x-rays yet. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he does have arthritis given the way his feet are misshapen. I know old injuries like this can become arthritic. I'm sure the vet will do an x-ray when I get him an appointment.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
My girl Trudy has arthritis in her back legs and Metacam along with extra vitamin c have really helped her. I've even been able to cut back on the Metacam. I would crush up some vitamin c tablets and sprinkle it over some veggies while you're holding him, to make sure he's getting all of it. I hope Ben starts feeling better soon :)

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Do you think doubling up in uhaul to make the floor softer would help him?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt extra pads would help him. Walking in too much soft stuff is actually harder than walking on a thinner pad.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
That makes sense, thank you. I'll update again after Benny sees the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.