Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mouth Quiet Guinae!

TessaWheekly

Cavy Slave
I've had my new cavy for about a week, and unlike most guinae pigs I've been with, Tess is unusually quiet. Even when petting near her bottom, which normally makes them bubble in discomfort, Tess just doesn't. Other than that, she seems happy and active, as she is still young at 7 months. Could she be sick or just shy? (Pet store bought)

Threepigsnacuy

Cavy Slave
A week really isn't that long to have had her. As long as she shows no other symptoms, she is probably ok. Although I would probably take her on a wellness check at the vet anyway since she is a petstore pig.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are prey animals by nature. It can take weeks or even months for them to be comfortable enough to be out in the open. If you know that petting them near their rump makes them uncomfortable, why do it? It won't help her feel comfortable around you.

Guinea pigs are considered an adult at 6 months old. If you bought her at a pet store, she COULD be sick. They often sell sick pigs but unless she is exhibiting signs, she is probably okay. Weigh her weekly and keep track of her weight. Guinea pigs will hide most symptoms of illness but the one they cannot hide from us is weight loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.