Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin how many doses? + preventative?

skritters

Cavy Slave
LSP got hit with mites a second time-- she had them in the summer as well, to the point of having bitten a bare patch on her back. At that time I treated both her and BMO (who had no symptoms) with oral ivermectin, 4 times (7-10 days apart). The hair grew back and she seemed fine.

5-6 weeks ago I noticed her itching/biting a bit, thought it was most likely mites, and then suddenly (it progressed very quickly) she had a bald patch and a sore on her back. Again, BMO was fine, but I treated them both with ivermectin as before, and put pure aloe on LSPs sores.

I've given them 4 treatments again, properly spaced, and it's definitely helped. The hair is obviously shorter but the bald patch is gone. However, she's still scratching a bit more than I'd like, and a couple of times I've seen cowlicks on her back like she's bitten it.

So:
Is it safe to give them one more dose of ivermectin? It's obviously helped a lot, and I'm wondering if one more dose might just do the trick. Neither of them have ever shown any kind of side effect from the ivermectin. But it seems like most people only give 3 doses, and I'm worried about overdoing it.

One more question while I'm on the topic. The first time they had mites it happened in the summer, when it got hot. This time, it directly coincided with a significant and sudden temperature drop, and it took a couple days before we got our heat on. I feel like I've read at some point on this forum that changes in seasons can trigger a mite outbreak-- am I correct in thinking that they can be lying dormant under the pigs skin, or am I completely wrong there?

IF it's true, as LSP seems susceptible to mites, from now on would it be helpful to give them preventative ivermectin at each change of season? maybe just one or two doses? (or, if it's preventative, maybe just treat LSP?)

I appreciate any help :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The problem with giving preventative doses is that you run the risk of the mites developing a resistance to the ivermectin.

You can can give a couple more treatments, however. I've given up to six.

You out might want to consider trying Revolution.

Yes, I've read and heard that mites can lie dormant.

skritters

Cavy Slave
I'll give them another treatment or two, then, before I consider another med, as I know they don't have any side effects to this one!

Good point about resistance-- I hadn't thought of that, even though, of course, the same thing happens with us humans and our antibiotics :)

Annmarie

Cavy Gazer
The problem with giving preventative doses is that you run the risk of the mites developing a resistance to the ivermectin.

You can can give a couple more treatments, however. I've given up to six.

You out might want to consider trying Revolution.

Yes, I've read and heard that mites can lie dormant.

My pigs have had mites several times over the last year. I have treated with ivermectin and Advantage. What do we do when the mites just won't go away???

NENGLERT

Cavy Slave
does Advantage treat mite too... and can you give it to the piggies around the same time you have given them ivermectin or should some time pass??? I too have had my first breakout on one little boy...

Aleks

Cavy Slave
does Advantage treat mite too... and can you give it to the piggies around the same time you have given them ivermectin or should some time pass??? I too have had my first breakout on one little boy...

According to Guinea Lynx, no it does not.
ETA: Your best bet would be to use Ivermectin. If you'd rather use something else, talk to your exotics vet about treating them with Revolution.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Make sure you are dosing correctly. Too little and it won't do much, but you don't want to give too much.

Sometimes an alternative method of application can do the trick. For example, if you treat topically, try orally next time.

If you've treated with ivermectin at least 5 times with no improvement, try Revolution. In the US you must get it from a vet. Alternatively you can order it online from Pet Shed.com. Revolution must be dosed correctly, as well. If you are going to do it yourself check out the instructions at Guinea Lynx.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.