Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Show

maeve100

Cavy Slave
Hi there -

Does anyone know where I can find some info on Cavy Shows? I am in the Los Angeles are and I thought it might be fun to enter my boy. :) I did a quick search and didn't turn up with much, so I thought you guys might be able to direct me.

Liz

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Many of the members here don't agree with showing animals, but someone *may* be able to help you.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
We are 100% against showing cavies here.

First of all, you would have to pierce a metal tag into your boy's ears using pliers. This is to "identify" them. Then they have to sit in a pen barely big enough to turn around in all day. The chance they might catch a URI or mites is sky high, just from being exposed to all the breeder pigs breeders are trying to sell. Then of course, you don't want to give them water, becasue if they pee on the judge you can be sure you won't be entering again.

Anyway, reconsider. Shows are abusive. Don't let your boys go through it.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I went to a show once. They had little stickers to put on their ears and not metal rings. All the piggies had food, either hay or vegies and they all had water too. Yes the cages were small but they were only in them for 3hours. And don't get me wrong I am not saying it is fine to go I am just saying what I saw.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Rachy, in the UK guinea pigs never get tagged, they only have stickers put on their ears. I, personally, think showing is fine. The few shows I've been to look okay. The only thing I don't like is that 'strangers' get to handle my guinea pigs, and I don't know who these people are, or how experienced at handling pigs they are, and some of the breeders are a bit rough.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Your contridicting yourself there, Myspoiltpiggies.

sk8 kid

Cavy Slave
I'm 100% against showing all animals. They should have happy loving lives not by thrown in front of a hundred people to see whether or not they are "worthy" enough to wear a stupid ribon. I've been to dog shows for 4H and do you know what they do with dogs that don't win. Some are killed. Others are thrown out. I'm not sure what they do with guinea pigs but I wouldn't even think about it. But that is just my opinion.

sk8 kid

Cavy Slave
Oh, and after that I quit 4H because of the cruelty I saw.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
rabbitsncavyluv said:
They're usually full of breeders, especially ones trying to dump their stock of imperfect;ly marked guinea pigs.

Very true, and usually to youngsters, keen "would be" breeders who know no better :(
There are sale pens at most shows, most breeders don't care who buys their "rejects"...very sad.

Odella

Cavy Slave
I've been to one guinea-pig show and was pleased with what I saw. The judges were professionals, and the show went on for maybe 2-3 hours. No guinea pig that I saw had any identification marks in their ears, and I've actually never heard of such a thing. Personally, I think shows are ok.

Actually, my boyfriend if planning on entering Mary for a show, in the novis class. If it's not too far, we might do it. Just read up before you do it, maeve100, about how to care for the fur and such. If you are to enter an abyssinian, the pig needs to have the "right" amount of rosettes on their back, for example (4 on the back and 4 on the bum). Good luck to you and your pig :)

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
Myspoiltpiggies said:
I, personally, think showing is fine. The few shows I've been to look okay. The only thing I don't like is that 'strangers' get to handle my guinea pigs, and I don't know who these people are, or how experienced at handling pigs they are, and some of the breeders are a bit rough.

As an owner of companion guinea pigs...no strangers get to handle my babies...end of story. Just as no strangers get to handle my dogs.
Some breeders are a bit rough you say? I rest my case...

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
sk8 kid-Here the dogs are pets and the dogs love to be showed.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
have the "right" amount of rosettes on their back, for example (4 on the back and 4 on the bum).

Which is why the breeders keep breeding for that perfect pig and dumping the rest to lowly pet owners, distributors, pet stores, for 'food' for predators and research labs.

maeve100

Cavy Slave
Egad! Well, for one thing I had no idea that they had to have a metal tag in their ear!! I have been to hamster shows before where there are fun classes like, the cutest, fastest, etc. I had no idea it would be so different for piggies. Everything seemed so clean and sanitary too, ya think ppl would understand against contagious mites and other such things.

I just wanted a ribbon to tack up in my cubicle next to his photo!

Odella

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
Which is why the breeders keep breeding for that perfect pig and dumping the rest to lowly pet owners, distributors, pet stores, for 'food' for predators and research labs.

I don't agree with this. Not for a single moment do I tink that guinea pigs should be bred just to create that perfect pig. But I don't think that's what maeve100 was intending to do, either. She was simply asking if someone had some information about entering, and so I told her.

There are also simple novis shows, where these rules don't apply that much, maeve100. I don't know how things run in the US, but here, pigs don't get killed just because they don't win. I can't say I've ever stumbled upon that, though I must say I'm not that experienced.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
maeve100 said:
I just wanted a ribbon to tack up in my cubicle next to his photo!

Then go to a pignic, a get-together of cavy slaves. They often have contests like "cutest, best trick, fattest" and they have ribbons and prizes. Much more humane and safe for your pig, and he can acctually have fun!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Odella said:
pigs don't get killed just because they don't win.

You may have just not found it yet.

I have seen multiple breeder websites that give directions on how to create a home made carbon monoxide chamber to euthanize pigs. I've read it from so many places (from pigs, rabbits, chins, rats, etc. even) I have the process in memory, and its not nice. The president of the ACBA feeds the lethals he creates on purpose to his snakes.

sk8 kid

Cavy Slave
slap_maxwell said:
I have seen multiple breeder websites that give directions on how to create a home made carbon monoxide chamber to euthanize pigs. I've read it from so many places (from pigs, rabbits, chins, rats, etc.)
No matter where you live. Whether it be the U.S. or in Europe or where ever people are cruel to animals. Just because you haven't seen it or heard about it doesn't mean it is not going to happen. I wasn't sure if they did it to all animals but obviously they do. I am boycotting animal shows all together. Maybe I won't make a difference just because I'm one person, but together we can.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I will not boycott all animal shows. I am a licenced groom and I advidly show and train horses. I have also shown dogs. You can't show these animals if they don't love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.