Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Plastic under bed bins as coroplast alternative

jhasmyne

Cavy Slave
I would use something like this and obviously order at least 5. I'd cut the sides off and connect them somehow then put the grids around it like a c&c cage and take off the cover. Would this work?
image.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Why not just order coroplast or use a shower curtain? It'll be hard to connect all those pieces and would probably end up messy.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It would work in the sense that it would be a suitable base, yes. I don't think connecting them would be particularly easy, though. You could theoretically get a HUGE storage box, like a really huge 10sqft one that has low sides, which would mean you don't have to cut anything and you wouldn't have any connecting to do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It would work in the sense that it would be a suitable base, yes. I don't think connecting them would be particularly easy, though. You could theoretically get a HUGE storage box, like a really huge 10sqft one that has low sides, which would mean you don't have to cut anything and you wouldn't have any connecting to do.

Is there any such thing as a 10' square storage box? I've never seen anything like that.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I would use something like this and obviously order at least 5. I'd cut the sides off and connect them somehow then put the grids around it like a c&c cage and take off the cover. Would this work?
View attachment 58993

Considering what you'd pay for 5 of these, you're better off getting one intact sheet of coroplast, plastic or linoleum. It will cost you a lot less and you won't have to piece anything together.

jhasmyne

Cavy Slave
I would have to order the coroplast online though and I can't seem to find anything

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@pinky, I have absolutely no idea haha! I figured maybe those under-bed drawers might come in that size?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Coroplast is much cheaper and will be much easier to work with.
You can buy 4x8 ft sheet of coroplast for $10 - $20. Many members have bought from this place.
(broken link removed)

Edit to add: If online is your only option, consider buying from the cage store.
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/coroplast-bases

CavyFanatic419

Cavy Slave
Why not just order coroplast or use a shower curtain? It'll be hard to connect all those pieces and would probably end up messy.

How would you use a shower curtain? I'll be making a cage soon, and am open to any tips or other ideas because I have some extra shower curtains laying around.

jhasmyne

Cavy Slave
I was just looking at it right now, and I'm probably going to buy from the store on this website lol

MJTEACH

Cavy Slave
I would have to order the coroplast online though and I can't seem to find anything

I'm not exactly sure where you live, but do you have a Home Depot around where you live? They have coroplast there it's just under a different name. You might try looking at a hardware store. Hope depot has multiple sized sheets. I got my coroplast for 13.47. It can also be called twinwall corrugated plastic sheet.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
^^ yes, my suggestion also. Typically, though, the employees at Home Depot have no idea what it is or where it is. Just ask for the plexiglass. It's usually right there with the plexiglass standing upright just like the plexi.

Matchamom

Cavy Slave
I found coroplast by looking up local sign makers and then calling to ask if they had it and what I wanted to use it for. I am in a rural area and that worked for me. I found someone within 10 miles of where I live.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Ordering from the cage store will make life much easier. It's already scored and cut to size, all you need to do is tape or velcro up the sides and it's done. In the future you can use that one as a template if you ever need to replace it. It will be 1000x easier, fit better and look more professional. If you want to try it yourself then home depot has sheets for $13 in the same section where they store plexiglass. Or call around to your local sign shops, they usually carry large sheets.

As for the shower curtain, you can lay it on the floor and then just put the grids over it or you can fold the corners up, run it up the walls and use binder clips to secure it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.