Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General How to help smell?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi guys! I was hoping for any advice on 'that piggy smell.' We're having guests over for Christmas Eve evening, and guests again around Christmas Day afternoon. We just cleaned the cage today, so cleaning the cage again (long process with me for a 2x6) is probably not an option. Is there anything I can use? I don't mind having a rare whiff of odor as a briefly walk past the cage, but it don't want my guests to smell it. It doesn't always smell, but it has recently today.

It's also in the middle of our living room, so that makes me want to rid of the smell even more! Any advice?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You said the cage never smell, be recently started to? What does it smell like? How often do you sweep/vacuum/pick up poop?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
It smells like poo. I just cleaned it today, and it just started smelling today, and other than this week (it was a weird week the way cage cleaning worked out) we vacuum daily, flip the flippers midweek, dispose of carefresh in his kitchen almost daily, and change the flippers weekly. He lives alone, also. (Due to medical and other conditions approved by site members and my trustable vet)

Are there any fresheners or any deodorizers that would momentarily work?

lissie

Cavy Slave
One thing that worked really well to get rid of any smell is an ozone generator.
I would recommend moving him, and any human or pets to another room while you turn it on. Air out the room well before you reenter.

Edit to add: One more thing I could think of is the smell might be coming from your vacuum. How often do you clean the vacuum?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
One thing that worked really well to get rid of any smell is an ozone generator.
I would recommend moving him, and any human or pets to another room while you turn it on. Air out the room well before you reenter.

Thanks for the advice! I looked up a few and WOW it's expensive! Anyone cheaper or more disposable options? I don't exactly need anything long term, but more so for the few times that we have guests. (Holidays, and maybe sporadically here and there)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is this one consider expensive?
(broken link removed)

Can you schedule the full cage cleaning the night before you have guests over? It shouldn't smell much just in a day.

You could use wood pellets in the whole cage while you have guests over. It will keep the smell down.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
With Christmas time here and all, yes, it's too expensive. Thank you so much for the research though. I may look into it more when the holidays are past.

I did did a full cleaning today, but it kind of smelled after I did it still.

Could I use any natural candles or fresheners such as cinnamon, lavender, or something of that nature?
Also, would spraying vinegar be ok? Would it smell weird in my house?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Not sure about candles or vinegar.
I find it strange that your cage is smelling after cleaning. Your pig might have a UTI.

Sometimes I heard home agents will bake cookies in the oven to mask the smell of the home when they do open house. You could probably try that. Start baking before the guests arrive. You can serve cookies later on too.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
Smart idea. :)

My guinea pig actually has several health problems. He gets URI symptoms often, as my vet says he may have a bacteria that cannot easily be riddled cultured or riddled of. Therefore, we have to cope with the symptoms. He also can't take meds orally. Or at least, with his other health problems, it's risky. So, we nebulize him. We actually have the supplies at home now and the vet would probably be happy to prescribe us more if we run out.

Also, what do you think of this?
https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-ho...resheners-9-nontoxic-options-that-really-work

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I just reread it and you said UTI not URI. He's had this problem before, and it always passes. My vet doesn't know what's wrong with him. It may be something with his stomach, as he has stomach issues. This always comes and goes, and we do what we can for him. (Probiotic, vitamin c, gas medicine just in case, and a hawk's eye)

I know this makes my vet sounds awful, but she is actually a recommended cavy savvy vet on Guinealynx. She does everything to go the extra mile. She has a lot of experience. I believe she even talked with her old colleagues about our weird case and even reopened her textbook for any other possible stomach conditions. His blood, urine, and stool have been tested also.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
An unorthodox suggestion, but you can buy candles that cover the smell of cigarette smoke, without being harmful to those who breathe it, and I'm sure if it can cover smoke, it can cover pig smell temporarily.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Scented candles might be harmful to pigs, especially her pig that already has ongoing issues with URI.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
The baked cookies idea reminded me about hot cider too. It's less work than baking cookies, lol.

Just put a big pot on the stove and put cider in. Maybe add some cinnamon sticks and/or orange slices and simmer it. It can simmer on low all day long and emits that nice apple cider scent.

Another thought that might work (since you said you've already cleaned the cage) is to use a cheap christmas fleece blanket (or other fleece if you have it) and put it directly on top of whatever fleece you currently have in your cage. Do this the morning of company coming over. It will look (and smell) clean and fresh.

Wal mart had some plush Christmas fleece blankets for $4.86. It doesn't have to fit perfectly --just sit on top of your current set-up for a fresh look.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
The baked cookies idea reminded me about hot cider too. It's less work than baking cookies, lol.

Just put a big pot on the stove and put cider in. Maybe add some cinnamon sticks and/or orange slices and simmer it. It can simmer on low all day long and emits that nice apple cider scent.

Another thought that might work (since you said you've already cleaned the cage) is to use a cheap christmas fleece blanket (or other fleece if you have it) and put it directly on top of whatever fleece you currently have in your cage. Do this the morning of company coming over. It will look (and smell) clean and fresh.

Wal mart had some plush Christmas fleece blankets for $4.86. It doesn't have to fit perfectly --just sit on top of your current set-up for a fresh look.

Thats a smart idea! I especially love the cider idea.. I have some here at home! Along with hot cocoa, teas, ect! I might have to use this, even if the smell dissipates by tomorrow. I can smell the lovely cider within my reach.

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
You could also try to use baking soda, as it is a natural deodorizer. You can sprinkle it under the Christmas fleece and on heavily smelling areas.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Whenever I have guests or parties planned, I switch to wood pellets and white shavings.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Mine did this once and you know what I found it was?? The connectors that hold the panels together. We had some white connectors and I found little puddles of pee in the grooves and a few had smooshed poopies down in the grooves. I took all them off, washed in a pet friendly cleaner, wiped down the panels and all was good again. I was like you, I couldn't figure out why they smelled so bad after I just did a complete cage clean and that was the problem. I took an old toothbrush and scrubbed them down! Good luck and hope it is that simple!!

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
As an aside, an invaluable item is an air-cleaner. I keep one running 24/7 alongside the piggy cage. I love the Homedics purchased at BBB with a 20% coupon. Mine has rune 24/7 for over a year without a hiccup.

(broken link removed)

Oooh. This sounds like a great idea for my son's bedroom. (He has rats.)
Thanks for the reference!

stray hares

Cavy Slave
Herbs such as basil and mint (which are a-okay to feed to piggies) are great at masking "piggy smells". You can put a handful of herbs in your piggy cage to create a lovely aroma to block piggy smells when guests are around. Another natural tip I can think of is to have a container of bicarbonate of soda near the cage (not in the cage!) to absorb odours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.