Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Pregnant piggie

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387834584.248375.jpg

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. Attached is a picture of Lola. I got her Black Friday of this year. When I got her she was already pregnant. About 4 days after I could slightly see and feel the babies kick. It's now weeks later, she's huge and the little ninja piggies are kicking like crazy. I have no idea when she got pregnant, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on this as this is my first time dealing with a pregnant piggie. Any words of advice would be great.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387834861.064111.jpg. Lola again

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Wow that is a very pregnant piggy. lol She looks ready to pop soon.. I'm not experienced with pregnant piggies but I'm sure someone here will reply to u soon.. Little ninja pigs, that's cute. I hope everything goes well. :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Now that's a pregnant pig!

Make sure she gets fruit and veggies/greens every day. It's actually good for her to move around, so put the food dish away from the water bottle.

What size cage? If it's a store bought one it's likely too small for a bunch of babies. Have you checked out the cage size standards, and directions for making a C&C Cage? https://www.guineapigcages.com You'll need to "baby-proof" it, though.

If she's housed with males, remove them asap. She can get pregnant again immediately after giving birth. Any females can stay in the cage with her (providing it's big enough).

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387847952.141492.jpg

Went out and came home to 4 beautiful baby piggies! Thanks so much for your advice.

piggymomma93

Cavy Slave
Brand new babies

I came home tonight to 4 little baby pigs. It looks to be the last one born wasn't cleaned as well as the other three, his cord wasn't eaten all the way. Should I be worried ? What signs of runt illness should I be aware of? Any help is appreciated.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387852588.240226.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Re: Brand new babies

Sometimes the sow is just a bit worn out by the end of giving birth so she may not be as extensive in her cleaning, this is particularly true with larger litters.

As for the one not cleaned properly, you will need to monitor the umbilical cord to make sure it dries up and comes off properly. I had a baby with the same issue, his umbilical cord was 10cm long, after two days the umbilical cord had dried up and I was able to carefully trim it back to a size where it wouldn't get caught on anything until it finally came off completely on it's own.

You will also need to weigh all of the babies every day to make sure they are gaining weight. Expect a 5 gram or so weight drop over the first day but after that they should start gaining weight. If they do not gain weight you will either have to give that baby one on one time with mum or you will have to start supplementing it with hand feeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.