Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Could this be cataracts?

PenguinKisses15

Cavy Slave
It was very sudden so I'm not sure if it could be cataracts, but for the last week my guinea pig's eye has been very cloudy looking. It's almost like there's a cloudy film over it. He just went to the vet last month because he hasn't been eating his hay and his breathing has sounded weird plus he hasn't been active lately. All he does is lay around. The vet put him on an antibiotic called Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprin for 10 days. I don't think it made much of a difference but I've been to my vet two different times in the last two months and my vet hasn't been able to figure out what is wrong with him.

Attachments

SAM_0235.jpg SAM_0244.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Has his breathing improved? Trimeth sulfa is a fine antibiotic, but sometimes you need something stronger for upper respiratory problems. Baytril is often used.

As for the cloudy eye, is it just one eye? I am surprised the vet didn't give you eye drops. Did the vet stain the eye to check for abrasions?

PenguinKisses15

Cavy Slave
His breathing has improved a little but he's still just laying around all day and not eating his hay. Its only one eye and the vet did look at his eyes but he didn't say there was anything wrong with them so I'm very confused about what to do next.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Is your vet an exotic (small animal) vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No antibiotic eye ointment? Is this an exotic vet? If not, I'd be looking for one.

PenguinKisses15

Cavy Slave
No, the vet didn't give him anything for his eye. We only have two exotic vets in the town I live in. He seemed like the better of the two when I looked over their websites, but I guess I'll give the other vet a try since this one can't figure out what's wrong.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.