Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Best kitchen bedding?

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
What works best as bedding in a kitchen?
Something cheap, clean and easy to work with would be great.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
I don't use anything special for my kitchen area. I use fleece in the cage and have water bottles, hay, and food dish both on top level and bottom. My top level has a hay bail that I made from a bent piece of a cage cube and a dish that hangs on the side, and the bottom level has hay hanging in a basket thing and a dish on the floor on the fleece.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@lissie, where do you buy your wood pellets? are they flavored/scented?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
If you like the smell of pine, to me wood pellets work the best for odor control and adding time between cage cleaning. It is a little on the messy side when it gets wet and turns to saw dust but it's worth that bit of inconvenience. I order feline pine original (Not the clumping one, only the original formula) from Amazon (18.95 for a 40lb bag). I over pay for my pellets to have them delivered to my door. But you can also get simply pine cat litter pellets, equine horse stall pellets, or even wood stove pellets so long as they are 100% kiln dried pine. If they are for wood stoves you need to get one with no accelerant. I hear that Lowes sells them. I have to get over to Agway to get equine pine pellets cheaper, but it's almost an hour drive and I have twin toddlers so it's just easier for me to have them delivered from Amazon.

lissie

Cavy Slave
@lissie, where do you buy your wood pellets? are they flavored/scented?

I buy them from Orchard Supply Hardware. I believe you can find them at Home Depot and Lowes too.

Mine are made from 100% red fir. They're $6 for 40lbs.

Last edited:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
@lissie , where do you buy your wood pellets? are they flavored/scented?

Tractor Supply has equine wood pellets that work well. Just about any feed store should have equine wood pellets. You can also use Yesterday's News from the pet store. But the unscented cat litter ones as they are cheaper than the small animal one and is the same product. Both of these work well because they generally do not stick to the guinea pig's fur and are easy to bush off the fleece before washing.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@Traysea, Thank you! I can 40 pounds of pellets for 16$ on Amazon!

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yep, wood pellets. Mine this time is douglas fir. Instead of ordering online, check your hardware stores. These are really wood stove pellets. I get mine for $6 for 40 lbs and for just my kitchen, I'm good for a few weeks as I just do spot clean daily and do the complete change 1 x week.

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
I use shredded paper, we get a community news paper here every week, and instead of throwing it out, I shred it, and use it in the cage, then put it out in the yard with the hay to turn into very useful garden soil lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.