Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Do guinea pigs like to burrow?

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Hi! I have a question about guinea pigs and burrowing. I currently have 2 guinea pigs and I'm getting a 3rd in a few days, they are all female. My new guinea pig is a little over 1 yr old and has been kept in a cage with bedding. I have a C&C cage and use fleece (my 2 pigs are under a yr old). After I do the introductions with the girls and they are ready to be put together I am remodeling my cage and making it bigger. I want to put a portion of the cage with hay to lay in, since my one girl pulls her hay out of the bail to sleep on it, lol. But I was thinking about making a portion of it with the bedding that the other new pig is used to. If I put a container (like a small cat sized litter box) that they could crawl into that's full of bedding will the guinea pigs like to burrow in it? Or do you think it would be a waste of cage space? I prefer fleece to bedding but I thought maybe a mix would be a fun change for them.. What do u guys think?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
LOADS of people on here provide a kitchen area/box etc full of hay and other types of bedding for burrowing and feeding. I use a box a little smaller than a litter box, but it's the same idea. I fill it with shavings at the bottom to soak up urine, as they use it as a toilet area too, then top it off with hay. If you place it under their hay rack/bag/ball whatever you keep it in, it acts as a catcher for falling hay also. Change the hay at least once a day if they use it as a toilet though. I think your girls would love it too :D Saves on mess as well haha!

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Yea, I was looking at some of the neat things sold on this site. I've been looking at youtube videos to learn how to make some things. I'm not bad a sewing and I think it might be fun. I found a lot of great ideas. It's really fun to come up with new cage designs and ideas! I guess I'll try the bin of bedding and see how it goes. My one piggy loves to sleep in the hay, she doesn't poop in it much though.. but if they did I'd change it often. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
They tend not to eat soiled hay anyway, but it's best for hygiene purposes, because if they pee in it and then it's left all day with them standing in it, y'know? I'm a hygiene freak with my girls anyway because I worry so much haha.

If you're going with the litter tray option as opposed to a cut out kitchen type box, just make sure it's not so high your pigs won't be able to hop in and out. Mine also tip the box over if it has JUST hay in because it's so light, so the bedding also doubles as some extra weight to make it not so easy to tip.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks.. but besides going to the bathroom in it, I was wondering if they would burrow in it? I'm not trying to litter train them or anything. If the bin was about 4-5 inches full of bedding would they burrow like hamsters do..

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Mine don't so much burrow as in go under the hay, but they do like to snuffle round in it and wiggle in it sometimes. I know some people's actually burrow though.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Because if they're just going to lay on top of it and poop then I don't see the point of having it. Ya know what I mean? They have hidey houses and beds and tunnels.. I'd save the room if it's not going to be entertainment for them.

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. Well, I guess the best way to know for sure is to try it out. :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
No harm in it! besides, if nothing else, it means there's something there to catch falling hay so there's less for you to clean up :p

JPlotner

Cavy Slave
I get bales of hay for $8 and put enough in the cage so mine can burrow in it. They LOVE it. I do have to fluff it up each day. But every time I do, they are right back in the middle of it. Sometimes they sleep there. Chocolate was buried in it tonight eating her way out. :)

My_3_LittlePigs

Cavy Slave
Aww.. that's cute. Maybe mine will like it..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.