Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating on Baytril and very decreased appetite

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
Bailey is on Baytril for a suspected mild URI. He was only sneezing. That was the ONLY sign. The vet said his lungs sounded clear, no crackling, nothing. His eyes were/are clear, his nose is also clear and dry. But he was sneezing a lot. He was eating/acting fine. She put him on Baytril saying that it was very mild if he had a cold. I asked her about possible decreased appetite and she said she hasn't had much issue with that with them.

Well. here we are the 4th day on the antibx and his appetite has gotten less and less. He is acting more docile/layed back. He isn't in the corner or anything. He will run around if I remove his pigloo but other wise spends most of his time in his hut. He is NOT fluffed up. He will eat his veggies. But no hay. he doesn't really like hay at all on a normal basis. He usually devours his pellets though. He was eating enough to poop a decent amount but decreased compared to his normal. Well this morning I cleaned the poops up and he hasn't pooped since. Not once. I gave him some pellet slurry in a dish, and he started licking/eating it right away (around 2-3pm) but still no poops.
So I gave him some lettuce and carrots, since he'll usually go for those. I have to go check and see if he's pooped or eaten them...brb
ok, so he ate one lettuce leaf the size of my whole hand and two baby carrots. He peed in the corner, once and did 6 poops. And he sneezed again at me when I looked at him. :(

What should I do? I feel like I've been having a lot of bad luck with my guinea pigs lately. I can start to feed him pellet slurry by syringe. How often do I need to do that?
Should I go ahead and stop the Baytril since I am sure that's what's affecting his appetite? Will his appetite return quickly if I do?
I am giving him probiotics in a syringe with water between antibiotics, at least a few hours after but only 1x per day. I did just realize the probiotics are expired but they have been kept in the fridge the whole time I've had them. They expired last Oct 2012.

Help!

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Was it a cavy savvy vet? What is his wight? How old is he?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Your probiotics are probably not helping, since it expired last year.
I'd recommend getting new probiotics. You should be feeding probiotics every time you feed antibiotics (1 to 2 hours apart).

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
Getting new probiotics will that improve his appetite? I will go get some tomorrow. He is 11 months old.he weighs 2 lbs 5 1/2 oz. The vet is an exotics vet

lissie

Cavy Slave
The upset stomach is cause by antibiotics. Adding probiotics should help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.