Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Ratty babies!

schuksudoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm the guinea pig lover in our house, my boyfriend is the rat lover. Awhile back, we adopted a rat off of craigslist, not knowing she was pregnant. She had her babies much to our surprise, and once they started growing some fur, they are seriously the most adorable things I've ever seen. We've been taking a ton of pictures, so I thought I'd start a thread on here to share the cuteness. :)

There are eleven altogether. After they're old enough, we plan on adopting most of them out (as pets, definitely not as feeders!)

We just lost our hairless girl, Elphaba, last week to old age. She was almost 3 1/2 years old. We were surprised to see three of these babies have little to no hair, so I'm probably going to end up having to keep one of them as a reminder of Elphie.

Here are Momma Charlee's babies!

CAM00396.jpg
CAM00401.jpg
CAM00404.jpg

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
SO CUTE!! I just want to kiss all their little faces! How big are they? (Like how do they fit in your hand?)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness they're adorable! If I lived near you I would totally be adopting one of those. Don't think you can really adopt out of your own country though hehe! Any names yet? :D

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Oh my god. I want them all!

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Awwww! They are so cute.

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
@LuvCavysLuvCats For the first week, all eleven would fit in one hand. :) Now that they're two, I could fit five or six in one hand, but they're starting to get squirmy and mobile, so we only hold them one at a time.

@Princess_Piggie We don't have names yet! The boyfriend doesn't want to name them because he's afraid we'll get too attached, but I'm planning on coming up with some. I have no idea how long we'll have them before we find them homes, I don't want to just not call them anything! For the ones with the thinner hair, I want to come up with some more names from Wicked since they remind me so much of Elphaba and I got her name from the musical.

@Kelsie Aw, your rats sounded so sweet! We have one we had since she was a baby, Frankie, and she's just the sweetest. Just like you described how yours are. I really think rats make some of the best, most lovable pets. As long as they're brought up right, they're so social. They remind me of little puppies when they run around. :) Charlee is actually solid grey with a white belly. Dad must have had some of those other colors in him. There's only one that really looks like Momma.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
@schuksudoon, oh my gosh, I hope one of the hairless is a boy, Fiyero would be amazing!!

WhippetQueen

Cavy Slave
The ones that have little to no hair could they be rex's? or else they would be runts, hairless rats are born with fur but loose it all when they go through their moult

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
@agirlwithink That's what I was hoping for! Girls, I figured either Galinda or Nessarose, or for boys, Fiyero or Boq. Either way, I'm set, but I really hope at least one is a boy so I can use Fiyero. :)

@GummiBear Yeah, I was doing some research yesterday and we determined that they are rexes. They've got the patchy almost non-existant coats and the curly whiskers. They're cuties nonetheless!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.