Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Too Small For Three Boars?

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

I an new to the forum, and new to piggies!
I will be taking three boars off of my friends that had an accidental litter. They were born last night, and mummy and babies are doing very well. She knew that they were expecting, so this in not a last minuet decision or anything. I have been doing my reading... and now it's time to build a cage!

We have a lot of wood and clear plastic left over from building our vivariums and other things, so i'm hoping to use that. Here's the plan, and relevant questions:
-The bottom level would be 1m x 95cm. I know the minimum is one square meter, but it simply won't fit into the space I have for it. It will be open top.
-The Second level would be attached to the bottom via a ramp OUTSIDE of the cage, either enclosed with wire, or some open top plastic paneling too high from them to jump over.
- The Second level will be all enclosed, so they can get away from the dogs bothering them (more on this in a moment). It will be 1m x 40cm.
- I'll be trying out fleece on a coroplast base on both levels.
- There will be a water bottle and food on both levels, but only one hey rack at the bottom.
- There will be plenty of hides and toys.
- The front will be made of plastic panels that I can remove for cleaning and floor time.
- The Second floor will also have plastic panels on the front, but this time they will be like a door I can open to clean and get to the piggies. I plan on putting holes into the wood and the plastic up here to aid ventilation. They will NEVER be trapped in here.
- Floor time will be whenever I'm home, basically. I work from home, so the only time I'm out is when I'm at college two and a half days a week, and for odd bits like shopping and social occasions. But there is always someone here.

Okay, a few questions:
- Is this going to be too small for three? I know it's not ideal, but with floor time ect would it be okay? If not i'll just take two, as there is no point trying to help out, then putting them in a bad situation. NOTE: I do have old cages from when we kept rabbits (our last one died earlier this year :sad: ), so if scuffles happen, something can be done quickly.
- Will the ventilation be too bad on the upper level, even with plenty of holes?
- Would it be a good idea to make a removable top, encase they are freaked out by the dogs? For the first week, I plan on keeping the dogs well away from them (my dogs are used to bunnies, but not piggies). Then, I'll let the calmest dog introduce himself so they know they're not going to get hurt. Our bunnies were roaming around the house most days, and the dogs didn't care, so I doubt they'll be interested for more than a few days. Oh, and they won't ever be left alone with the dogs in the room or anything!
- If you think they'll be too much competition for hey, should I find another place for more racks?

Annnnd, I think that's it. Please let me know if you think it won't work out. I thought that I would ask on here before starting to build :p

Thanks you for any input you might have, and sorry there's not pic (the scanner hates me)!

Last edited:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum there is plenty of valuable information here. And plenty of welcoming people here. Good luck with your cage and the new piggies.

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum there is plenty of valuable information here. And plenty of welcoming people here. Good luck with your cage and the new piggies.

Thank you very much! I hope to be a regular here (for all the right reasons!)
This is by far the best/most informative forum I have come across :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think a removable top is a great idea, it ensures your piggies safety just in case the dog's aren't sure how to react to them.

You really need a biiiig cage for multiple boars, once they reach puberty I can pretty much guarantee you there's going to be fights if they aren't in a very large cage so they can have space. I see most people on here house multiple boars in a 2x5 or a 3x3 cage. Multiple sources of hay, water, and pellets is a good idea to try and prevent fighting over the food etc. Are you planning on having at least three hideys, with multiple exits in case a fight does break out?

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I think a removable top is a great idea, it ensures your piggies safety just in case the dog's aren't sure how to react to them.

You really need a biiiig cage for multiple boars, once they reach puberty I can pretty much guarantee you there's going to be fights if they aren't in a very large cage so they can have space. I see most people on here house multiple boars in a 2x5 or a 3x3 cage. Multiple sources of hay, water, and pellets is a good idea to try and prevent fighting over the food etc. Are you planning on having at least three hideys, with multiple exits in case a fight does break out?
Thanks! Yeah, I thought that it would be safer with a top... at least until everyone's settled in.
I think the bottom level would equate to a 3x3... if we're talking about grid size? I might be wrong thoguh, as my brain isn't working.
I planned on having a little fleece forest in the corner, two hides and a fleece tube. Would replacing the tube with a hide be better you think? :p

Did not think of multiple exits... well deffo work that into my design somehow.
Thanks very much for the input! :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Anything they can hide in constitutes a hidey, really haha. Yeah I meant c&c grids :)

Just so long as there's 3 or more places for them to hide, they'll be fine :) Sounds like they're gonna be in excellent hands :D

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I'd suggest a minimum of a 3x3 or a 2x6 for three boars. Sometimes I think my 2x5s are too small for my boar pairs!
Very excited for you and your boars!

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much guys! I am VERY excited!
I shall post pics of the cage when it's done... and, of course, of the piggies when they're old enough to come home with me :p
If anyone can think of anything else that might be good to add in, let me know! :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
stimulating toys etc can be really good for distracting boars from fighting. Get a kitchen towel roll, and stuff it with hay to provide a stimulating source of food.

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
stimulating toys etc can be really good for distracting boars from fighting. Get a kitchen towel roll, and stuff it with hay to provide a stimulating source of food.
Ahh, good idea. I was actually thinking of one of the toys we have for the dogs. It's a ball you put food in and they have to roll it around to get to it. Would that be suitable for piggies?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Do you mean similar to a Kong toy? I have a small animal Kong for my piggies. It's the same size as a puppy Kong, maybe a bit smaller.

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Do you mean similar to a Kong toy? I have a small animal Kong for my piggies. It's the same size as a puppy Kong, maybe a bit smaller.
We have Kongs to (didn't think of that either)!
It's made of the same stuff, but it's just a ball with holes in. Was thinking of getting them a smaller one, about the size of a tennis ball. Will add little Kongs to the list! :p

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
You can also get 'treat balls' similar to the way you can with dogs, so they have to roll it around to get the treats/veggies out. Come to think of it, a lot of dog toys would work for piggies haha!

MagicPiggyPig

Cavy Slave
You can also get 'treat balls' similar to the way you can with dogs, so they have to roll it around to get the treats/veggies out. Come to think of it, a lot of dog toys would work for piggies haha!
Yey! I will just keep my eyes open. I'll be going on a piggy related shopping spree next pay day! haha.
Thanks again! :D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
A lot of rabbit toys are also suitable for piggies, so just browse around and on the internet and use your judgement to decide what'd be safe for your piggies :)

No problem! Can't wait to see pigtures when the piggies come home!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
For three boars I wouldn't suggest a 3x3 as for me it even feels a bit to small for a pair..it's not even as big as a 2x5! I'd recommend a 2x5 or 3x4 or bigger..my three boys got along in their 2x5 for over a year..before that they had a 4x6 but due to the rescue I had to downsize!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.