Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Vet dosen't say gas is bloat??

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
Momo has always had strange bouts of gas and diarrhea, which have never been serious, all of her life. She has been having them more frequently lately but has been eating, drinking, and passing "pellets". However, her poops have been smelly, soft and abnormally shaped. So, I took her to the vet and the vet said she does not have bloat, if she did, she would not be eating or drinking. Her belly didn't have a "hollow" sound but did look a bit larger than usual. My vet said she was "Obese" and I need to stop feeding her so much so, I took her off fruits and vegetables AGAIN. I'm afraid that if I keep taking her off fruits and vegetables, she won't get enough vitamins because I've had to do this A LOT recently. She has been drinking a lot recently, I'm thinking this is because she became dehydrated after the "loose stool". Do you all think this is the correct assumption from my vet? Are the gas an diarrhea connected? Should I give her Equate Extra Strength Anti‑Gas/Simethicone Chewable Tablets Gas Relief? Should I suplament her diet with another source of vitamins like tablets/supplements/ ect.? Thank you all for your help!

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
How much pellets does she get? Instead of completely taking her off veggies, try reducing how much she gets. Also, how much fruit does she get? Too much fruit can upset their stomachs, so if she is getting too much that might be what is causing the diarrhea.

pinky

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you need to find a vet that specializes in exotics. Soft, smelly droppings can also be caused by Giardia. Your vet should have tested her droppings for parasites. Guinea pigs don't pass gas. Bloat is where gas builds up in their digestive tract and can be fatal because they are unable to pass it. You can give her half the liquid pediatric dose of baby simethicone two or three times a day for a couple of days to see if it helps. It doesn't sound like bloat, though, since her droppings are normal shaped sometimes. Exactly what do you feed her on a daily basis?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Umm... Guinea pigs do pass gas, or else I've got very abnormal guinea pigs?

It doesn't sound like bloat to me. A bloated pig will be puffed up in pain, not moving much, not wanting to eat or drink. Ditto the suggestion about testing for giardia, or you could just ask your vet to try a course of flagyl. I'd also cut fruit out altogether and cut back on the veggies. What exactly are you feeding her, and how much of each thing.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
Momo weighs about 1.5lbs, he said that was overweight for a female. She has a 2x4 cage to herself, but she doesn't like to run very much but she will on occasion. She gets 1/8th of a cup per day of Oxbow pellets, I tried cutting back, do you think that would help? She did get 1 piece of fruit every other day but I stopped giving her fruits 2-3 days ago. My vet said he specialized in exotics and we did have her pellets tested for parasites and he said they were normal. I will try the simethicone, thanks!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Good job you reduced the fruit, as fruit that often could also cause diabetes as well as a stomach issue. She may actually be drinking excessively due to diabetes.

I would say cut out fruits all together until you can rule out diabetes, because diabetes can also cause an upset stomach. Ask your vet to check for it. Consider reducing high sugar vegetables like red and orange pepper as well until diabetes is ruled out. (Jeez, did I say diabetes enough there?!)

She actually sounds slightly underweight depending on her age. 1.5lbs is in the 600+g area, which is roughly the weight of a 3-4 month old female I think? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I read in the guinealynx weight page.

Anyway, fingers crossed your girl is okay.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your vet is sadly out of date on guinea pig weights. My two are 2.5 pounds, and neither is obese.

What exactly are you feeding her, and how much of each thing?

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you bp patters! I didn't think she was! I will check for diabetes, meanwhile, I cut out all fruits and veggies for the time being. When I listen to her stomach, it sounds like popping and gurgling noises most of the time, if that's of any help.

I did feed her 1 serving of fruit every other day (ex. 1/8th of an apple, two blueberries, or a cherry tomato, but I discontinued it) I feed her (usually not recently) fed her 1 cup of veggies a day mostly lettuce & cilantro, sometimes a baby carrot or a peice of bell pepper. I used to feed dandelion greens as well, but I heard the could give gas so, I stopped 6 months ago.

How much simethicone is safe, can you overdose a guinea pig on it? I'm very wary of giving it to her because she is very small compared to a human?? Thanks, sorry I haven't been able to use the computer for a couple days.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Lord if she's obese, my boys are all morbidly obese. My SMALLEST adult boar is 2.8 pounds. Even my 3 month old baby is almost 2 pounds! My largest is 3.5 pounds. My vet says they are all healthy, but "big pigs" as he says.
I hope you find out what's wrong with her!

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add I feed her unlimited amounts of orchard grass and timothy hay and about 1/8th cup of pellets now (used to feed her unlimited) all oxbow brand.
I think it's because she is larger around the tummy with a smaller frame, but I NEVER thought she was obese, I've seen much bigger guinea pigs that I didn't think were overweight!

Last edited:

Razzle

Cavy Slave
From the time she came to live with me Lucy had frequent periods of soft, smelly poops. Some days worse then others. I thought this was just her "normal". Often her back feet had squished poop on them and needed frequent cleaning. Of course this was not okay, but I did not recognize this as a problem until she developed diarrhea. I posted about this before and hope this may help you. In the end what fixed Lucy was Oxbow Digestive Support wafers and Ox Bow Papaya Fruit plus ( also an active digestive enzyme supplement). I crushed the wafer and the Papaya Fruit plus tablet and one Ox Bow Vit C tablet and mixed in Critical Care plus some water and syringe fed her everyday for a couple of weeks. I also held all veggies and fruit for a very long time. I rarely feed fruit anyway but the herd really missed the salads. They were each held and hand fed veggies away from Lucy so she would not know what was up. She has normal poops now and you can not tell her poops from any of the rest of the herd. I am so amazed at the difference and so annoyed at myself for not recognizing the need to get her help.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try an elimination diet and see if you can find out what the culprit is. Take her off everything except hay and pellets for a couple of days and see if her pellet firm up. If ok, pick one vegetable and add it back to her diet for a couple of days. If she does ok, pick another one for a couple of days, and so on, until you've found out which one causes the gas/diarrhea.

If she still has the gas/diarrhea when just on hay and pellets, try another brand of pellets, and if that doesn't work, another type of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.