PDA

View Full Version : C&C Maybe I'm not done designing my cage! Tubing!?!

Traysea
12-10-13, 01:46 pm
Well, I just happen to stumble on this cage in the gallery and I think that would be so much fun for my piggies to have a racetrack around the outside of the cage. How big do you think the tubing would need to be? There is a huge jump in price once you get around 5" wide tubing.

Has anyone done this? What do you think!?!?

Coopersmomma
12-10-13, 01:53 pm
Well, I just happen to stumble on this cage in the gallery and I think that would be so much fun for my piggies to have a racetrack around the outside of the cage. How big do you think the tubing would need to be? There is a huge jump in price once you get around 5" wide tubing.

Has anyone done this? What do you think!?!?

That would be awesome. I have no done so, but if you have a larger guinea pig (like me) you may have to get the 5" tubing. I have a tube inside my cage that is the 5" but my guinea pig loves it!

Traysea
12-10-13, 01:59 pm
Thanks! I appreciate the size info. I will look around and see how much it goes for. I am not sure what size the PVC elbows come in either. One of my pigs is a pretty large girl. Larger than my other two.

lissie
12-10-13, 02:03 pm
It think 6" would be a safer option.

I think you would need to drill holes for ventilation.

Traysea
12-10-13, 02:28 pm
Yeah thats what I'm thinking. I have been looking at 6" tubing. The outer dimensions are 6" making the inner dimension 5 3/4" depending on the thickness of the tubing. I would also definitely drill holes for ventilation. Just trying to figure out if it would be safe with 3 piggies using the tunnels? What if one goes in one way and the others go the other direction? Might cause a traffic jam.

pigger123
12-10-13, 02:49 pm
It should work if you have plenty of air holes and places that it connects to the cage. It probably would be a good idea to have several entrances/exits.

RandomCavy
12-10-13, 02:55 pm
That looks cool! just a few thoughts, you might want to have fleece in there so that they have traction and so that when they pee it wont just sit there. And I would assume it would be hard to clean unless you took it apart every time (I mean like if you need to scrub it, not just dumping out the poo and cleaning the fleece). Besides that, I might do this when I do my cage change!

Princess_Piggie
12-10-13, 04:08 pm
Since you seem pretty handy Traysea, could you devise a way of making the tubes flip-top, so as they open to be cleaned? And then click-lock shut for when the pigs are using them? Like RandomCavy says, keeping those clean to avoid infection/bumblefoot etc could be a real pain.

You may also want to consider the possibility that one of your pigs might love it so much they decide it's their 'new hidey' and refuse to come out. Probably won't happen, but still.

You could also get some opaque tubing for sections of it, so they can have some hidden parts and some exposed parts of the tunnel. I'd love to have something like this for my girls!

Traysea
12-10-13, 04:31 pm
Good points, I was also thinking of possibly a square version but they don't make it in square. I was thinking of using a T shape to connect it to the cage which could in theory be capped off so they couldn't use it all the time. I love the idea of having trap doors on top of the tube so that I could reach in without having to take apart the segments. In my mind I would have to detach it every time to clean it out. Oh but what fun it would be for them to play in! I could do a fleece runner for traction on the floors. My mind is spinning!

I will ask them if they can cut the tubes in half the long way and see if that can even be done.

Traysea
01-01-14, 06:57 pm
This week I finally started testing out the acrylic tube idea. I decided to start with a tube in the cage and see how it was to maintain. I bought a 6' long 6" wide tube online and had them cut it to 3' long. So I actually have enough to put in a second tube. I wanted to see how they liked the extra space and so far they LOVE it. I decide to modify the design a bit and turned the tube into a catwalk. Ultimately, my thought is to do one more tube in the front of the cage so that it basically pops thru the front two grids on either side and creates a loop but for now here is my first attempt at the tube used inside the cage. Since it is only 3' long I can reach my arm in easily to wipe it out and it doesn't need air holes drilled into it. The girls are loving the extra overhanging space the other patio provides and they are all claiming areas to lounge around. So far it's a success! I need to see if I put the second tube in the front how much viewing area that blocks. I feel like it might be too blocked off. The tube is see thru but not as clear as the plexiglass windows.

5 littlepiggies
01-01-14, 07:26 pm
That is so cool what a great job. I'm impressed. It does give me some ideas for mybdaughters ferret.

Traysea
01-01-14, 07:27 pm
Thanks! And a ferret could have a smaller tube, which is cheaper!

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-01-14, 08:18 pm
Whoa! Very cool! If this continues to work for you I might have to give it a go. :) Your cages are so beautifully done!

When I first was gathering the things for my c&c cage I was like, "this is going to be the classiest, most well put together cage ever!" But then I remembered material cost money, and I just got the basics. haha. I've now excepted an awesome cage takes time. Plus I'm a perfectionist so I'm always changing things trying to make them better anyhow. Lol.

Anyway you're a real inspiration, so thanks! :)

Traysea
01-01-14, 08:31 pm
That's exactly how I am. I just keep tweaking and redoing and fussing with it. I limit what I buy each week or month until I collect all the materials. Today I bought three more bins for the last section of the stand. It just doesn't end and I don't want it to I really enjoy the changes. When my upstairs is finally finished I will probably blow out the cage a little more but I am happy with the size for now.

Whoa! Very cool! If this continues to work for you I might have to give it a go. :) Your cages are so beautifully done!

When I first was gathering the things for my c&c cage I was like, "this is going to be the classiest, most well put together cage ever!" But then I remembered material cost money, and I just got the basics. haha. I've now excepted an awesome cage takes time. Plus I'm a perfectionist so I'm always changing things trying to make them better anyhow. Lol.

Anyway you're a real inspiration, so thanks! :)

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-01-14, 09:07 pm
Traysea I have a 2x4 and two weeks after I got Penelope (8 wks old at the time, tiny little thing!) I was already wanting to upgrade to a 2x5! She's tiny but very active. I can't even imagine her in a 2x3! That just seems super tiny to me now. Lol.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to put Plexiglass just on the front wall. Is there different kinds of plexiglass or are they all the same?

Traysea
01-01-14, 09:43 pm
It comes in different styles and thicknesses. Mine is the same size as a grid so I can make it modular so it has to be 1/8" thick. If you want to do one long piece across the whole front then you can make it thicker. I bought mine from tap plastics on line and it's the cheaper version. I also cut windows in my coroplast and attached more plexiglass there with Velcro so my coro looks lower but it's still a 6" high tray. Everything I do in my age is removable for cleaning and modifying.

@Traysea (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28226) I have a 2x4 and two weeks after I got Penelope (8 wks old at the time, tiny little thing!) I was already wanting to upgrade to a 2x5! She's tiny but very active. I can't even imagine her in a 2x3! That just seems super tiny to me now. Lol.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to put Plexiglass just on the front wall. Is there different kinds of plexiglass or are they all the same?

Rabbit_Lover
01-02-14, 09:17 am
You may want to consider getting T sections and putting it in the middle of all four corners of the cage for exact esscape routes. I hope this makes sense.

pinky
01-02-14, 10:29 am
It looks great! Have you considered adding another section on the other side so they can run laps? I'll bet they loved having space to run complete laps with nothing in their way.

Traysea
01-02-14, 01:33 pm
Yes I have more tubing. I just wanted to see how it was to clean, if I could still see them in the cage, and also access the bottom etc. Ideally I want to cut holes in the front end grids and extend the front tube out the front of the cage so the track willl be a little bigger and it will be cool to see them coming in and out of the cage. I can't do that right now because my kids are too young and I don't trust them with it so for now I will probably have to put the second tube inside in the front to make the track. I have it, I just need to cut the coroplast and mount it etc.

korryn92
01-02-14, 01:42 pm
I want to make a patio so bad and this makes me want to even more! lol

I don't have enough coro on hand to make a patio right now and can't decide if I want to buy some from the cage store or not lol Now I want to make tubing too hehe

Your cage looks amazing!

Traysea
01-02-14, 02:31 pm
Thanks, after I finish spot cleaning and adjusting I will post more pictures with the front tube added in. I just put it in and although I feel like now the second level needs to go to loft height instead of patio height so I can see inside the bottom of the cage it looks good and one of my pigs just spent like 20 minutes just walking back and forth in the second tube LOL

Traysea
01-02-14, 02:33 pm
You may want to consider getting T sections and putting it in the middle of all four corners of the cage for exact esscape routes. I hope this makes sense.

T sections wouldn't fit, because the tube is 6" diameter PVC T sections would be too big and wouldn't be very helpful since they could just lay in the T and still have the same problem. Right now they are not having a problem and it's really no different than going up and down the ramp since it's just about as wide as my ramp.

Liviebrew1
01-02-14, 02:44 pm
I am so jealous of how cute your cage is!!! I like the clear tunnel idea a lot. I may have to try this instead of a ramp going to the loft.:rolleyes:

Traysea
01-02-14, 02:55 pm
Here is a cage I had saved that someone shared that uses acrylic for the ramp. It might present some problems using the tube as ramp since it's round and not flat, might be slightly harder to get up. Also, it's kinda pricey because most places only sell 6 foot long sections of the tubing.

I am so jealous of how cute your cage is!!! I like the clear tunnel idea a lot. I may have to try this instead of a ramp going to the loft.:rolleyes:

Rach84
01-02-14, 02:59 pm
Your cage looks stunning! I am totally in love!! :)

An on another note - how cute are the fluffy little piggies in that picture!! Xx

Princess_Piggie
01-02-14, 03:05 pm
Traysea, with all the incredible ideas and innovative little tutorials you come up with, I really think the cage store should be employing you to make little extras for them, like your no-sew beds etc lol Either that, or you should have your own little online business!

Traysea
01-02-14, 03:17 pm
LOL thanks. I actually have my own lil online business (I manufacture and sell unmounted art rubber stamps). I just do this for fun and because I love decorating it for my kids. My art studio is being renovated and all my scrapbooking and rubber stamping supplies are unaccessible so my piggy cage is getting all my crafting attention. I love making little worlds. Something about building mini environments make me happy. I also made a ton of tiny living moss world terrariums to give away as gifts using train figures and live mosses. I don't think I am allowed to post those here though but they are really easy and fun to make.

@Traysea (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=28226) , with all the incredible ideas and innovative little tutorials you come up with, I really think the cage store should be employing you to make little extras for them, like your no-sew beds etc lol Either that, or you should have your own little online business!

Princess_Piggie
01-02-14, 03:23 pm
I love arts and crafts too! I used to sew loads when I was younger, but now all my creative attention has turned to my baking, something else I've been doing pretty much since I was old enough to hold a spoon haha! My dream is actually to own my own patisserie lol

I cut up yet another pair of my pyjamas to make a no-sew bed for my girls, figured they needed a spare one so they have options right ;) it's just so addictive making their cage look pretty and perfect!

Traysea
01-02-14, 03:49 pm
I know isn't it!!! It really bugs me when my cage isn't coordinated. But the more I add to it then I have to mix and match my fleece because I didn't buy or sew enough of a certain pattern. Now I want to go back and do some solid colors and simple universal patterns. I have 2 other patterns I have to work on first before I will allow myself to buy more fleece though. That is my rule. I have to try and use what I already bought first.

Princess_Piggie
01-02-14, 03:54 pm
Oh my god, me too. I use a plain fleece as their bedding, though, so pretty much anything goes with it luckily.

I'm trying to stick to certain colours, though, because I'm moving house in the next few months, and have a colour scheme picked out for my new room, that I'm hoping to match the cage with haha! I want a purple and cream room, so naturally, the girls have one cream fleece and one purple fleece hehe.

Traysea
01-02-14, 04:23 pm
Of course you have to do that! I just fall in love with all the patterns and can't help myself. Once I imagine my cage dressed up in a new pattern I HAVE to have it!

Princess_Piggie
01-02-14, 04:28 pm
I even managed to get a purple litterbox so as that coordinates too!

I'd really love to get my hands on some cream fleece with purple hearts on, or something like that. The chances of me finding it however, are slim to none haha.

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-02-14, 04:43 pm
Haha! Same here! My main color scheme is purple and cream right now, because my room is too. I'm hoping to eventually go for a rococo, paris royalty theme. Even have a mini four poster bed all made out of fleece and coroplast. Hehe (I know... Little weird but I like to dramatize things haha)

I'm trying to find some LED lights to weave around the top of the grids. I just love the way they look!

Traysea
01-02-14, 06:18 pm
Have you checked on amazon for the lights. I got my tube lights on amazon. Funny I just bought furniture for their cage last week. Im waiting for a plastic hello kitty one from Target and a black and pink upholstered couch from Ebay. Try looking for doll beds (barbies or larger) you might be able to find a four poster bed pre made.

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-02-14, 06:30 pm
Nah I love making things from scratch, plus then I can make it all customized to her size. :3 Plus I make... basically everything in dollhouses and dollhouses themselves so I'm used to doing that kind of thing. Haha I'm so excited, it's gonna be really cute!

Oh shoot! I forgot I did find them on amazon before! Darn it, I just​ bought some stud from there too. Me and my ADHD. Lol

Traysea
01-02-14, 06:32 pm
Well if you have prime shipping is on them anyway right LOL

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-02-14, 06:35 pm
*stuff* LOL Didn't you hear? Amazon now offers mail order men!

Princess_Piggie
01-02-14, 06:38 pm
LuvCavysLuvCats yay, another purple and cream fiend! I even like trying to match my loungewear to my colour scheme - purple dressing gown with cream trim, cream slippers with purple trim - I'm obsessed!

SO cute that you're making her a four poster bed! You have to post pictures!

Traysea
01-02-14, 06:57 pm
LOL I didn't even see that before. Ha Ha LOL

*stuff* LOL Didn't you hear? Amazon now offers mail order men!

Traysea
01-03-14, 09:42 am
Ok I couldn't take it. I put in the second tube. I need to sew some stiffer waterproof pads for inside the tubes, the loose fleece was not working well. They love it and have spent the morning doing laps.

LuvCavysLuvCats
01-03-14, 02:03 pm
Nice! Are they easily removable? Looks like it would be difficult to clean the main level?

Traysea
01-03-14, 02:31 pm
It's all removable. They sit on the patios and there is one cable tie holding them up on onside and the other side has a square of velcro. They are large enough for me to reach my arm in and wipe out with a baby wipe or paper towel etc. Both my lofts are completely removable to reach the lower level. It takes about 20-25 minutes for me to completely take it apart and clean it depending on how much I hustle. Everything in my cage is removable, adjustable or modular. I decided to try the tubes in the cage to see how I felt about maintaining them. If I was ok with it I will move the front tube outside the cage and create a tunnel thru the grids using PVC elbows. But I can't do that until my kids are a little older.

I also am thinking of raising the upper level to loft height because it's hard to see them as well with the front tube in. I haven't tried to take the pigs out either so this is still all experimental.

Rabbit_Lover
01-03-14, 03:36 pm
Maybe I misunderstood your question. But I don't see why they'd have to go up and down. I'm talking about the racetrack around the cage not a ramp.

Traysea
01-03-14, 04:16 pm
Yes, I understand what you are suggesting. That I should put a T fitting on the ends of the pipes so they have two exits out of the ramps. What I am saying is I don't think it is necessary to do that, they are passing each other and allowing each other thru the openings. It would also be easily blocked if one of the pigs decided to lay in it. But even if I could put in the T sections, they would not fit on the patios since the tubes are 6" wide you would need a 6" PVC T section which would be around 12" or more and most T sections are reduction pipes so one exit would be reduced down to 4". The patio is a 1x2 (which is around 13" wide) so either way it would not fit, one exit would be blocked because it would be almost all the way up gainst walls of the patios.

Maybe I misunderstood your question. But I don't see why they'd have to go up and down. I'm talking about the racetrack around the cage not a ramp.

Rabbit_Lover
01-03-14, 05:49 pm
That's the misunderstanding. I thought you were referring to the racetrack around the cage. Not to patio (:

Traysea
01-03-14, 06:30 pm
So you mean put extra T sections in the racetrack if it goes around the cage so there are multiple ways in and out. That is a good idea. I was going to use a T section in the back to make it a full track but putting T sections at other points makes good sense especially for cleaning because then I could clean out smaller sections at at time.

I already have the race track inside the cage so it's 2 tubes and 2 patios ( scroll up for the photos ) but in the future I want to bump out just the front so far. When I can move the cage to a different place in the house I could see doing the track outside the cage and adding a couple of exits to it.

pigger123
01-03-14, 06:54 pm
Your cage looks awesome! Those piggies must have a great time running around in their upper racetrack. Your cage pics always inspire me!

Traysea
01-04-14, 07:03 am
Thanks! Today i woke up to two of the pigs running crazy zoomies all over the cage and using the racetrack to zip around the top. It was so awesome. Thank you to everyone for pushing me to complete the racetrack, they LOVE it. Today I will be sewing up some new cage liners and inserts for the tubes. Lots to do. I already told my husband he has to watch my toddlers for a few hours so I can sew!

Your cage looks awesome! Those piggies must have a great time running around in their upper racetrack. Your cage pics always inspire me!