Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Where to find pexiglass?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
So I had a miniature C&C a few months back but I was forced to switch back to the little store bought.
I'm building anotehr one, and since my budget is low, is pexiglass expensive and where to get it?
I lack coroplast from my other one. But If i don't get pexiglass, I'm going to mend together the folded sides of a 96inx48in. How Will I make it stable enough for a cage? Do I just use tape and it'll be completely pee proof like new?

I want pexiglass because it gives a much nicer looking cage and a lot neater looking. My room is small and my coroplast is red and was cut into 2 different sections to make a cage. One Section is already folded and sides cut from the previous cage.

Can a uhual blanket be hand washed? I am not allowed to put piggies things in the washing machine.

And Also, my cage will have to be very high. what will hold a 2x4 cage up about 4-4.5ft high? And long story about the height, it needs to be high. and no, other animals is not the probelm.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Plexiglass costs more than grids and coro. I got mine online from tap plastics. You can hand wash uhaul but the bigger it is the heavier it is. If you can sew you would be better off with fleece flippers or 1/2 cage pads to hand wash. The bigger it is, the harder it is to wring it out and wash it thoroughly. I bought a portable washer and dryer ($75 each) because hand washing was getting to be too much.

For height you can do a double stand out of grids or put it on a banquet table. I believe a 5' banquet table fits a 2x4 cage.

(broken link removed)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Homedepot and lowes have plexiglass but it expensive com paired to grids.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
Thank you both :) and can I use those waterproof mattress pads? I can find some for cheap at the thrift shop.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You can but I don't think they hold the smell as well as uhaul pads. At least the ones I have don't. The ones i have are flannel on the outsides and waterproof on the inside. Keep in mind that uhaul is very cheap one 7.95 uhual pad is so large that just the one pad can be cut to make 3 pads to cover a 2x4 cage. If you only do one layer of uhaul per cage cleaning your money will go very far. If you want to do two layers of uhaul two blankets will cover you for 3 cage cleaning with double layers of uhaul.

Also, I went to home depot first to get the plexiglass and they only sell very limited quantities and said they do not cut it in the store. So call first if that is what you are planning to do. If you are not using grid at all, make sure you get no thinner than 3/16 (thicker is better), I have 1/8" thick plexiglass and use it in the grid connectors. It is pretty flimsy.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I'm going to mend together the folded sides of a 96inx48in. How Will I make it stable enough for a cage? Do I just use tape and it'll be completely pee proof like new?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.