Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Growth on nail

LouisHarley

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
Today while clipping my guinea pig Harley's nails, I noticed he had an unusual growth where the nail should be. It looked as though something was stuck to his foot but on closer inspection I realized it was a growth. It is hard like the nail and not causing pain, therefore not bumble foot? I don't think it's a spur. Is this anything to worry about? Should I take him to the vet? He is kept on hay bedding which is cleaned often. His friend Louis is housed with him and has no problems. The nail growth is only on one toe.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you :)

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Are you sure it's not dried poop? Maybe try soaking your little one's foot and see if that helps loosen it?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, first see if you can loosen it or soak it off.

If it's not coming off and is the actual nail, it's possibly a fungal infection.

LouisHarley

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies :)
I tried to soak it, but it wouldn't soften or come off so I filed it down slightly and it looks like the actual nail. Very unusual as I trimmed his claws just over a month ago, and there were no problems with the toe at that stage. It seems like the nail tissue has become hyperactive? Is this possible? It is not causing any pain as he was happy for me to soak it and file it down. I will take him to a vet in case it is a fungal infection.
Thankyou for the advice!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It sounds like a fungal issue. For some reason it can effect a nail in that way--it thickens up like that.

Some people have had luck rubbing an anti-fungal cream on the area a few times a day.

LouisHarley

Cavy Slave
Alright, I'll give that a go. My sister is a vet nurse and said I could put canesten cream on it. Is this safe to use on guinea pigs? She doesn't specialize in piggies so I'm a bit hesitant.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, that would be fine.

LouisHarley

Cavy Slave
Alright thanks a lot for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.