PDA

View Full Version : I've been lurking for quite some time...time to make an intro.

Matchamom
12-07-13, 08:57 pm
I've been lurking here as well as other places for a year now. I guess it's time to make an intro. I'm currently a piggy mom of 4. My son had a piggy for about 6 years and it passed away last Nov. A few weeks later, I was at the local pet store to buy crickets for our gecko. While we were there, we heard a familiar squeak and then asked if they had guinea pigs. This pet store is generally for fish, reptiles, and amphibians so they don't always carry small and furry pets. But, this time they had 3 guinea pigs - in a box behind the counter. As I was standing there trying to decide if I wanted the boys or the lonely girl. The guy behind the counter said something about feeding them cat food. Right then I knew I needed to take them all home with me. That's exactly what I did.

They didn't even know how to sex the guinea pigs at the pet store. I did it for them and knew I was taking home 2 boys and 1 girl. I separated them and my girl Miko has been living solo for the past year. My hubby has really grown to to like them and he has finally said yes to finding a cage mate for Miko.

So, I've been searching and searching. You would think this would be easy. I found one guinea pig rescue that was about 2.5 hrs away and I was contemplating going, but then realized it would be 5 hrs full circle. I started looking around and found a few that were an hour away, but it's been about 2 weeks and I've not heard from either place. I've adopted dogs before and it took less than a week to hear back and to hear that I was approved (my two dogs currently are still here as well - so it's quite a zoo!)
I resorted to looking at Craigslist. Where I found a listing for a guinea pig and when I contacted them, it turned out to be a male that they were offering. I noticed he was in a small cage too. :( But, then the lady said that her son was wanting to sell his guinea pig and that it was a female.

It took me a day to think about it, but by the photo they sent, I could tell her living conditions were not so great (another small cage). But, when I went and met the lady and talked to her, I could tell that this little girl has not had the best attention either. I held her and observed her, but it didn't matter because as soon as I took her out of the box, she wasn't going back in!

She's currently in her own cage (a pet store one, but it's ok, just not great) until her quarantine time is over.

I have a C&C cage setup, but am using bedding of woody pellets and carefresh (as well as newspaper). It's been working quite well, but I envy the fleece, so soon I'm going to bite the bullet. I'm also thinking of changing their setup to a 3x3 instead of the 2x4 as I was just reading that someone really likes that and I've been contemplating changing the setup for awhile - I have the two cages on top of each other. It's not bad, but it's a bit of work to clean and I don't always get to see Miko as well (I have to use a step ladder to get to her cage). Now, that there will be two girls up there I really want to see what they will be doing.

Each of them have their personalities and I'm very excited to see the little girl come out of her shell. She's 8 months, but bigger than my Miko (probably due to lack of exercise). She's been getting used to us moving around and tending to her enough that she's not running to her hidey when we approach the cage.

Anyway, I'm sure I have much more to say, but this has already turned into a novel. ;)

Here is the crew:

58336 This is Dr. Evil

58337This is Wolverine

58338 This is Miko (she loves cuddling in the fleece blankets during lap time!)

58339 This is our newest girl who is currently nameless (well besides the name she came with - Fluffy).

ThePigAlchemist
12-07-13, 08:59 pm
Those are some beautiful pigs. I love their names too.

foggycreekcavy
12-09-13, 12:50 pm
Haha, who named the boys? I love the big white nose on your new girl.

guinnymom23
12-09-13, 01:32 pm
Welcome! great herd! Thinking Domino for the last one? for some reason that's what hit me...if you're taking suggestions?

Matchamom
12-09-13, 08:38 pm
Thanks everyone.
foggycreekcavy - my husband named Wolverine and my son named Dr. Evil. My nephew actually named Miko. :)
guinnymom23 - I am taking suggestions. Thanks. You should see her bum. It's white with a big black circle covering her rump. ;)
Her lips are multicolored too!

CavyMama
12-09-13, 09:34 pm
I don't know why but the name Mindy comes to mind for the unnamed girly.

Hhbean
12-09-13, 09:43 pm
Awww...they are all adorable! We have a Fluffy but she truly is fluffy like a giant cotton ball!

Rywen
12-09-13, 09:45 pm
Such adorable piggies you have! She doesn't look like a Fluffy to me. Maybe like a Sylvia though.

Matchamom
12-10-13, 06:53 am
I don't know why but the name Mindy comes to mind for the unnamed girly.

Hehe. That's too close to my name. ;) but it's cute!

GuineaPigster
12-10-13, 07:04 am
Welcome!! They're all darlings, and I love the white spot on ex-Fluffy's nose. :)

GuineaPigster
12-10-13, 07:05 am
Hehe. That's too close to my name. ;) but it's cute!
I love the name Mindy, but I'm biased because that's my BPF's name (best pig forever) :)