Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Expecting the Impossible?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
I am remodeling my girls cage, and right now it is on the ground- which I do not have a problem with; however I really want it on a stand. My cage is 42in wide by 120in in length. I have 92 grids right now, so do you think that is enough to build a stand out of just grids that is strong enough to hold 85 pounds? I know that is expecting a lot but I can't buy anything else for a stand, so all I can use is grids.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
How many grids large is the cage?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
How many grids large is the cage?

What do you mean? How many grids is it going to take to make a border? It is 8 and half grids lengthwise and 3 grids in width. So in total it is 23 grids, which leaves 69 for the stand.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
3x8. Thanks, that's what I needed to know. :)
I think it could work, but I'd recommend a design in which you would make bunches of cubes, then stick them together. That will ensure maximum stability.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
3x8. Thanks, that's what I needed to know. :)
I think it could work, but I'd recommend a design in which you would make bunches of cubes, then stick them together. That will ensure maximum stability.

That is exactly what I was thinking about doing :) So do you think that making three cubes side by side for the width and then skipping everyother grid for the length and doing the three by three cubes would be strong enough to hold 85 pounds. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Makes plenty of sense.
I'm horrid at math, but I'd do every grid, not every other, if you have enough cubes. :)

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Makes plenty of sense.
I'm horrid at math, but I'd do every grid, not every other, if you have enough cubes. :)

To do as you suggested with the bunched grids that will take 10 for each row. So skipping every other grid would only take 50 but then I would have 19 left over. Since I don't have enough to do it without skipping could I just do every other grid and then use the other 19 grids in random areas for support.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.