Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Can rats be litter trained?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi, I was wondering if rats could be litter-box-tained? I have a rat and just curious if they can be. If they can how would I train him?
Thanks for any info.:D

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I believe they can. Try searching Rat Care on google. Even if the site has bad info, all litter box sections would be the same, and you know what to watch out for ;)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
If any one has any ideas on how to littertrain my rats, please let me know!

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
wow thats a good question I think they can be never had any that were. do your rats pee in the same corner all the time? what bedding are you using now? answer those for me and I will try to offer you some tips

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
He just pees and poohs all over. I use aspen bedding. I was useing carefresh but I then I switched to aspen because it is softer and fluffyer.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
Ok what do you wash the cage out with? I would wash the cage out good with vinegar and water. Then I would get some corner litter pans put carefresh only in those and use aspen for the rest of the bedding so he can tell the difference between the potty litter and the bedding litter. See if that works. If he prefers to pee in the aspen then use that in the litter box and carefresh in the rest of the cage.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Cool, thanks Kimberly.

oologahyoko

Cavy Slave
I trained my rat. Easiest thing to do is completely clean out the cage. Then for the next couple days clean it all out. Put poop in the corner. Every day make sure poop is in the corner/litter box. Eventually your rat should pick up on what you want it to do.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your help. I am trying to get him to litter train but he is a little turkey butt and does not want to. I am going to keep trying though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.