Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

You know what makes me angry...

Cavy_Guy

Cavy Slave
...when I post pics of my cage in the galleries and all I get is people telling me that it is to small when it is the best I can do because i dont have space for a bigger cage.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I would also like a larger cage, but I only have a small one bedroom apartment. I'm trying to move to a place that I have an extra bedroom that I can fit a large cage in. I dont even have enough room for a couch or a kitchen table.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Can you add a loft or build up?

For two boys, a bigger cage is recommended, plus if you put in the pigloo and their things, it is less space.

Cavy_Guy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 Sows...not Boars

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, I agree. Boars or sows, the minimum cage size stated on this site is 2x3 grids. No one should be criticized for providing the minimum requirement. Every cage can be bigger. Yes, boars do better in bigger cages, BUT if someone is providing the minimum, that is just great. It's still 2-3 times as big as a pet store cage on average.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
There are many many threads on here where someone asks what size cage to build and people tell them that for 2 boars, the minimum should be a 2X4. Certainly, it's 1000% better than even the largest store bought cage, but the boys would be happier with more space. Looking at the pics of your cage, there is only 1 food bowl, 1 water bottle and 1 pigloo. Ideally, each of them should have their own stuff to avoid scuffles and more dominance issues. In a 2X3, they'd barely have room to move with all of that stuff in there. Personally, I wouldn't put 2 sows in a 2X3 and boars can be much more active.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
You only need one food bowl. You should have two water bottles (even with one pig), but water bottles have no impact on cage space. Actually, you can get creative with hidey spots that don't take up as much space. It doesn't have to be two pigloos.

There are many many threads on here where someone asks what size cage to build and people tell them that for 2 boars, the minimum should be a 2X4.

If someone asks what cage size to build, then yes, I agree, I would recommend a 2x4 for boars. I go back to the point that I really don't like to see anyone criticized for providing a 2x3.

Personally, I would recommend a 2x5 for 2 boars. So, where do you draw the line? The point is not to make someone feel bad for doing what this site recommends. If you want to criticize someone for a 2x3 then, you really need to criticize me. That's what should be going on. Not telling new, excited members that they screwed up. Most people evolve their cages over time anyway.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
I think your cage looks nice. If that is as big as you can go right now, then fine. It looks like in the pictures that you don't have a whole lot of space for the cage. I think that what you have is way better than a store bought cage. I'm sorry that people make you feel bad about your cage when you're doing the best you can.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I like your cage! I saw the pictures and I think it is nice! I think a 2by3 is much better than a tiny store bought cage! I am just happy you love your piggies enough to make them a c&c cage at all.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
I agree. Im very happy that people are accepting, and not critisizing. I think your cage is perfect for now. I work at a pet store, and see two pigs come in (unwanted) in a cage that is 12" by 24". That is the sad truth. You are wonderful for caring about your pigs. Im my experience, almost all people dont give a shit.

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
I've had two boars in a 2x3. I've had those same two boars in a 2x4 and now a 2x5 as I've gotten more space. They've gotten along great in every cage they've been in. It depends on the boar pair.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Point well taken CavySpirit. I think you and I may have been posting at the same time actually as your "recommendation" post wasn't up at the time I began posting.

On a positive note Cavy_Guy, the cage you built looks really well done, and you have some quite creative toys in there. I wouldn't have thought to use an egg carton, but that makes sense. You could even use it to hide some of their veggies in.

Some of us (myself included) get a little over excited at times about the care and well being of our pigs without having all of the information. And my apologies to your girls for misgendering them.

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
I agree that there are quite a few members who jump on new members' cases and make smug little comments (like the one about the sun) but I think most of them are out of true concern and care for piggies. As long as they are loved and have room to run in a cage that meets minimum requirements (which has been pointed out, is MUCH larger than a petstore cage), people should be happy for them. We are all trying our best and making do with what we can. I think some people need to think before they post. It may scare away people who are really trying to make a better life for their own piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.