PDA

View Full Version : Bunny- "looking for a good home"- problem yes?!

RubyPiggie2
09-07-05, 06:01 pm
I belong to the freecycle group, and just recently there was a woman that posted that she was giving a bunny to a free good home.

I personally am kind of worried about the bun, what if she goes to a bad home, etc. I want to get her badly, always wanted a bun, but I don't know how much they would cost.

But I'm also giving a woman on there rabbit supplies. Do you think I should ask her if she would like another bunny? She only has one, and I'm giving her a care manuel and everything.

Any suggestions?

Bunny Gurl
09-07-05, 06:21 pm
I would try to buy the rabbit from her they usually cost 10.00 any more and she is ripping you off. Buy the bun and then what breed is it. The smaller breeds don't eat mucgh I have a Dwarf and My sister has harliquin.

RubyPiggie2
09-07-05, 06:32 pm
The bun is free. But the problem is that I don't know if I can get her. She's a dutch/dwarf, that's what the woman said. And then I know someone that just has one bunny, and I think I'm going to ask her to consider getting this bunny to be a companion with hers.

Since the bun is free, I don't want her going to a bad home because of that.

And how can someone "rip you off" when buying an animal? I'm sorry but I find that comment very rude, a bunny is worth no more than 10 little dollars?

Bunny Gurl
09-07-05, 06:38 pm
sorry I love rabbits I didn't mean it that way I know that was a little rude sorry. i have a rescue and I rescue rabbits and farm birds.:( sorry I didn't mean to be rude

stitsy&codyPig
09-07-05, 07:49 pm
Here where I live bunnies cost between: $20-$25.

mouser132
09-07-05, 08:43 pm
i belong to freecycle too..in michigan. I know what you mean. I worry about the animals on there too

RubyPiggie2
09-08-05, 04:03 pm
Bunny how do you own a rescue? You only have one rabbit besides your sisters rabbit. No need for white lies. :)

bunnyluv17
09-09-05, 11:06 am
If you think this lady could provide a good home for the rabbit, then I would go ahead and ask her. The easiest way to bond rabbits is if you have a neutered male and a spayed female; so it depends on what sex and whether or not the rabbits are altered as to whether these rabbits will get along.

kimberly78
09-09-05, 12:28 pm
I would go ahead and ask the woman that you know already has a rabbit. Or you can take the rabbit temp till you find it a good home. You can post the rabbit on www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) As far as cost goes. Just because an animal may not eat a lot due to size doesnt make it cost affective. Besides food, hay, cage, water bottle, hay rack, toys etc the rabbit may require medical care and that can add up. Also then there is spaying and neutering the rabbit which can be very expensive depending on where you live. My rabbit needs his teeth trimmed every few months and thats an added expense right there. You are being very responsible in thinking this through, thank you. You can only do what you are able. Helping with several rescues in my area its hard to save them all. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

RubyPiggie2
09-09-05, 01:36 pm
I would go ahead and ask the woman that you know already has a rabbit. Or you can take the rabbit temp till you find it a good home. You can post the rabbit on www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) As far as cost goes. Just because an animal may not eat a lot due to size doesnt make it cost affective. Besides food, hay, cage, water bottle, hay rack, toys etc the rabbit may require medical care and that can add up. Also then there is spaying and neutering the rabbit which can be very expensive depending on where you live. My rabbit needs his teeth trimmed every few months and thats an added expense right there. You are being very responsible in thinking this through, thank you. You can only do what you are able. Helping with several rescues in my area its hard to save them all. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

That sounds very smart... I didn't even think of fostering the rabbit and posting her on petfinder.com. I emailed the lady and asked if she was spayed, and she is not. :( BUT, my local Humane Society does spayings for ONLY $20 (or below, 20 for dogs and cats) because they are so very against breeding and all for neutering(like every Humane Society), so the vets do it for VERY cheap.

My mother just loves rabbits, and so do my sisters. I have an extra 2x3 cage, I could probably even keep the bunny upstairs in the dining room or something because everybody likes them. I've been able to foster a piggy before(ended up keeping him.. XD my mom loved his coloring) so maybe I might be able to foster this rabbit till I can sell him to a good home. IF I find him a home, should I "interview" the soon-to-be-parents like rescues do? I would absolutely be giving them a care manuel and such, plus the cage for a little extra money(about 10 dollars).

When my mother is in a good mood(she is now, but she just went to take an nap) I'll ask her about it. Plus, I cleaned up the living room totally even though I stayed home from school because I'm sick.

kimberly78
09-09-05, 01:52 pm
I think fostering is a great idea. I have an application I use to screen any families wanting to adopt from me. I would have the bun fixed before you adopt it out to make sure someone doesnt want it for breeding. I have an application on file, pm me if you want me to email it to you. A fee for a spay bunny with a cage and book I would ask for a 40 dollar fee. If its the bun and no cage 30-35. This a min fee. For my spays I pay 135 and my neuters I pay 110, mind you this is laser surgery so its more. I charge 65 for my rescue bunnies.

RubyPiggie2
09-09-05, 03:23 pm
I think fostering is a great idea. I have an application I use to screen any families wanting to adopt from me. I would have the bun fixed before you adopt it out to make sure someone doesnt want it for breeding. I have an application on file, pm me if you want me to email it to you. A fee for a spay bunny with a cage and book I would ask for a 40 dollar fee. If its the bun and no cage 30-35. This a min fee. For my spays I pay 135 and my neuters I pay 110, mind you this is laser surgery so its more. I charge 65 for my rescue bunnies.

Wow, so I assume you go to your regular exotic animal vet. Unfortunately, if I foster this rabbit I will NOT be able to take her to the vet.. But I definately would if I noticed she was sick or something. I'm suprised you don't make the people who adopt out your bunnies the full price or spays/neuters. I will spay her if I can foster her, because I didn't even think (once again) about the breeding situation. Thanks for bringing that up.

Are you a rabbit rescuer like Teresa is a cavy rescuer, or do you bring in rabbits on occasion?

I would LOVE the application, if you don't mind.

Thank you SO much Kimberly!

kimberly78
09-12-05, 08:10 am
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you I have been so busy. I emailed you the application. I am a private home and a foster home to my friends rescue. A lot of people know I do this and then I find so many animals dropped off at my doorstep. I dont charge the full spay or neuter price as its a lot and most people wont pay it. Overall I would rather lose a little bit of money to have someone rescue a pet then turn them away to purchase one.

superkid92
09-12-05, 08:01 pm
my bunny cost $100 at petco

Bunny Gurl
09-13-05, 02:42 pm
Bunny how do you own a rescue? You only have one rabbit besides your sisters rabbit. No need for white lies. :)

Its not a white lie my rescue is home to not just rabbits its home to chickens, Ducks and rabbits but right now I have only rescued to rabbits I do have a rescue and I have a heart for not just cavies and rabbits ok!!!!!!>(