PDA

View Full Version : Hello! :)

PiggieWigglies
11-30-13, 07:29 pm
Hi everyone! Im new. I only have 1 guinea pig because the other one just passed away today. :( But I think this is a great forum and Im glad I found it.
But I was wondering, Im going to get a new guinea pig soon as a friend for my lonely piggie because his old companion Max passed away. How would I introduce the new one?

GuineaPigster
11-30-13, 07:39 pm
Hi everyone! Im new. I only have 1 guinea pig because the other one just passed away today. :( But I think this is a great forum and Im glad I found it.
But I was wondering, Im going to get a new guinea pig soon as a friend for my lonely piggie because his old companion Max passed away. How would I introduce the new one?
Welcome!! I'm so sorry to hear that he passed :(
How big is your cage? Age of Max?
Are you aware of any pig rescues in your area?

PiggieWigglies
11-30-13, 07:49 pm
My cage is a C&C cage thats 2 by 4. He was 2 years old. He was lethargic and sickish for about 2 weeks, but thats including this week. Last week I took him to the vet and the vet put him on critical care (a syringe fed mix) because he wasn't eating. He was eating and seemed fine yesterday and the day before and was taking the syringe mix, but today he looked different, and passed.

GuineaPigster
11-30-13, 07:54 pm
My cage is a C&C cage thats 2 by 4. He was 2 years old. He was lethargic and sickish for about 2 weeks, but thats including this week. Last week I took him to the vet and the vet put him on critical care (a syringe fed mix) because he wasn't eating. He was eating and seemed fine yesterday and the day before and was taking the syringe mix, but today he looked different, and passed.
So sorry to hear this. :(
Since you'll be introducing, I'd recommend a 2x5, or my favorite, a 3x3.
Also, since Max's friend passed for a weird reason, you def. need to QT him to make sure he isn't sick.

PiggieWigglies
11-30-13, 08:04 pm
Well I mean Max passed, not his friend Cody. And Max wasn't contagious because he didn't eat to eat because his back molars were turning because lack of Vit C and so he was on Critical Care to make him want to eat. And also I believe it was genetics too, Max and Cody got the same amount of Vitamin C so if Cody was sick, he would be sick by now but its been 2 weeks :)

GuineaPigster
12-01-13, 06:27 am
Well I mean Max passed, not his friend Cody. And Max wasn't contagious because he didn't eat to eat because his back molars were turning because lack of Vit C and so he was on Critical Care to make him want to eat. And also I believe it was genetics too, Max and Cody got the same amount of Vitamin C so if Cody was sick, he would be sick by now but its been 2 weeks :)
Whoops!
In your first post you said Max passed away yesterday. If it has been two weeks, then I encourage you to find a guinea pig rescue in your area. :)

Liviebrew1
12-01-13, 08:09 am
Welcome!! So sorry to hear about your lost piggy. I just got my first guinea pigs too. We went to a really great rescue in our area to get them. I would also suggest just like GuineaPigster said, to get another pig at a reputable rescue. I hope you find the perfect little guy!:)

PiggieWigglies
12-01-13, 08:15 am
Im sorry, I was nervous and probably not phrasing anything right. I meant he has been lethargic and sick for 2 weeks and last week I took him to the vet, but Yesterday while he was on his medication he passed.

GuineaPigster
12-01-13, 08:30 am
Thanks. It's 100% fine!!

PiggieWigglies
12-01-13, 01:08 pm
So how do I introduce the new one? Any tips?

GuineaPigster
12-01-13, 02:09 pm
Many people use baths as a way to introduce their pigs.

sugarandspice
12-01-13, 02:17 pm
So how do I introduce the new one? Any tips?

;D http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

CavyMama
12-01-13, 03:33 pm

Malocclusion (the misalignment of molars) is because of lack of hay. Scurvy (lack of Vit C) causes loss of muscle coordination, loss of balance, among other things.

ashandnov
12-01-13, 03:55 pm
I'm sorry about your lose. I haven't lost my girl yet but it will be sad when it does ahppen.

RainbowGuinea
12-01-13, 05:25 pm
Hey there and welcome! I'm sorry about your loss and its always tough to loose a precious pet. I also encourage you to seek out a new friend from a shelter. Shelter guineas could use love too!

Introductions can be a bit scary and I know how you feel (I just introduced my two boys together about 3 or so weeks ago.) What I did was introduce them in a neutral territory (somewhere they both have never been) and place brand new hidies and some fresh veggies. I placed them both in the new enclosure at the same time (brother helped) at opposite ends. It helps to introduce them in a large space. I used veggies because I wanted to see if they would ignore eat other and eat or if they would be curious and want to sniff each other out first.

My two boys gave each other a quick look and there were some rumbles given but soon they were both munching side by side. I think that's one good way to introduce two guinea pigs especially males. :)

PiggieWigglies
12-01-13, 07:55 pm
Thank you everyone for the support :) I feel a bit more confident on the introduction and my family can help me with it too.
CavyMama the vet said that his molars were only turning a tiny bit and that he could still eat it just might feel a bit different, but someone told me that carrots had lots of vit. C so I was giving him lots of carrots. But then I found out Kale has lots of vit C so I was giving him kale, but I guess his time came. :(

CavyMama
12-01-13, 08:04 pm
I've never heard that carrots are a good source of vit C but they do have a high amt of sugar and should be given in limited amounts. Green peppers are a good source of vit c. I've also never heard of lack of vit c causing teeth to turn in but I DID rescue a pig who ended up having scurvy. His balance and coordination were affected until I got him on a regular diet of vit c.

Vets are given a very limited amount of education on exotics like guinea pigs and usually are not the best source of information when it comes to our furry friends. I had two separate vets at separate offices tell me that yogurt was fine to give as a probiotic for digestion. These were two supposed exotics vets who did not know that guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and it would have made the problem WORSE, not better.

PiggieWigglies
12-01-13, 08:55 pm
The vet I went to did all she could to make Max better. :) she was very informative and I would go back to her. She said that his back molars loosened/turned due to lack of vitamins... But thank you! All of you guys who have replied to this have been sooo helpful and Im very grateful I found this forum

RainbowGuinea
12-01-13, 09:45 pm
Hope all goes well for you and your remaining cavy :) feel free to message me if you have any further questions or just to say hi lol I'm always happy to help as others are