Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Hair loss and scabs around eye

Mama2piggies

Cavy Slave
My husband and I recently took in two young female guinea pigs named Cookie and Zoe. About two days ago I noticed a small dry flaky patch (smaller than a pencil eraser) above Cookie's eye. Overnight, the dry patch became quite large, lost hair, and has horrible looking scabs. What might cause this? She doesn't seem itchy and there are no other areas of hair loss or scabbing. I am making an appointment with a vet who has experience with exotic pets.

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be fungal or bacterial, but whatever it is probably itches -- looks like she's been scratching pretty hard.

I prefer to play it really safe with eye problems. This doesn't look like it involves the eye itself, but you may need an ointment safe for eyes because the lesion is so close. I think your vet appointment is a good idea. But do post back and let us know what he says.

Mama2piggies

Cavy Slave
Her appointment is on Monday morning. I'll definitely post back.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It looks just like a fungal problem one of the rescue pigs here had. The vet prescribed both an oral medication for fungus, as well as a liquid that I sparingly applied with a cotton swab. Because of the open sores around the eye, however, you will need to be careful about what to apply there.

Good luck at the vet! Unfortunately fungal infections can escalate pretty quickly, so you might need to take her in to an emergency vet.

You might want to try applying some miconazole cream using a cotton swab. Read the directions to see if you can use it on open wounds.

Mama2piggies

Cavy Slave
Cookie's vet visit went well. The vet said that it was fungal and gave us a liquid for the bare spots and a mousse for the rest of her body. Unfortunately, last night we discovered a tiny area of hair loss on her former cage mate, so we will be treating her too. Hopefully this clears up quickly. I really miss snuggling with my piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.