Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Alternitative means of washing fleece?

spritrain180

Cavy Slave
I really really want to use fleece bedding exspecially since its winter time. But my mom will not allow me to wash them in the washer when they become soiled.

Is there any other means of washing fleece? Perhaps my bathtub?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
As long as you make sure to get all the hay, poos, and fur off the fleece, it won't hurt the washing machine at all. But if she won't let you, you could wash it by hand in the sink or bathtub.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes you can wash it in the bathtub just make sure to shake everything out. You'll want to wash it the same way you would in the washer. You will need to wash the fleece before using to get it to wick (just in case you didn't know). You can also buy a huge tub of some kind to wash it in. Just make sure its big enough. A metal one would probaby work best. If you can't find a metal one make sure its strong and sturdy. But the tub would be free ;). I hope this helps.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I started out hand washing my fleece. Now I use a portable washing machine and so far it is AWESOME. It's small so it will depend on what size cage you have and what type of fleece you chose to do. It's about 20" high and fits on a kitchen counter top. I also have a spin dryer which is awesome and gets everything about 95% dry. I use sewn fleece pads (two layers of fleece with one layer of uhual inside) for my cages. I have a 2x4 cage with a kitchen. I have one pad that fits a 2x3 area, the other area has a kitchen with pine pellets. I also use either a flipper or a sewn pad my loft. I have to wash the 2x3 pad separately. It can't hold more than the 2x3 pad per load. After I spin the water out of the wash I lay the pads on my kitchen chair to dry the rest of the way which takes a few hours to air dry. The portable washer I got on ebay refurbished. It's called a panda portable washing machine. Check out youtube for portable washing machine videos. It was about $75 with shipping included. It may sound like a lot but it is totally worth it. The spin dryer is more of a luxury but it makes life much easier since towels and uhual are really heavy when they are wet. It only takes about 2-3 minutes for the spin dryer to get out most of the water.

Are you allowed to put the already washed fleece in the dryer?

spritrain180

Cavy Slave

I might be able to, that seems be more plausible. My mom just doesn't want guinea pig urine in the washer, even though it's hot enough to kill any germs and such from getting into our clothes.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You could do a rinse cycle in the washer after you take the fleece out, to make it clean for your regular laundry.

Whovian11

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can hand wash it. I find a bit funny that some people don't want to wash it because of the pee. I'm sure she has at least washed underwear from when you were a little kid that had urine on it.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I started out hand washing my fleece. Now I use a portable washing machine and so far it is AWESOME. It's small so it will depend on what size cage you have and what type of fleece you chose to do. It's about 20" high and fits on a kitchen counter top. I also have a spin dryer which is awesome and gets everything about 95% dry. I use sewn fleece pads (two layers of fleece with one layer of uhual inside) for my cages. I have a 2x4 cage with a kitchen. I have one pad that fits a 2x3 area, the other area has a kitchen with pine pellets. I also use either a flipper or a sewn pad my loft. I have to wash the 2x3 pad separately. It can't hold more than the 2x3 pad per load. After I spin the water out of the wash I lay the pads on my kitchen chair to dry the rest of the way which takes a few hours to air dry. The portable washer I got on ebay refurbished. It's called a panda portable washing machine. Check out youtube for portable washing machine videos. It was about $75 with shipping included. It may sound like a lot but it is totally worth it. The spin dryer is more of a luxury but it makes life much easier since towels and uhual are really heavy when they are wet. It only takes about 2-3 minutes for the spin dryer to get out most of the water.

Where do you get a portable washer?

spritrain180

Cavy Slave
Yeah my mom's finicky when it comes to those types of things, even though it'll save her money in the long run from buying bedding.

Thanks for the input ^-^

Traysea

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This is the exact one I got. Keep in mind it is small capacity so for one complete cage cleaning I run it thru two loads.

It can only handle in one load either:

a sewn 2x3 liner with 2 layers of fleece and 1 layer of uhual

or

about 3-4 fleece flipper uhaul inserts

or

probably 4-5 fleece flipper fleece cases

or

one 2x4 loose layer of uhaul etc.

or

one 2x4 loose layer of fleece etc.

several potty pads, tunnels, fleece forest etc.

If you use only a small amount of laundry detergent you can usually get away with 1 wash cycle and 2 rinse cycles (all cycles are manual so you need to fill up and drain the water each time but there is a hose that dumps into the sink and you can use a hose to fill the washer too but I just use the retractable hose nozzle thingy on my sink.

There is another machine that looks exactly the same for sale on Amazon for a little less now:

(broken link removed)

You can check both out on youtube and see how they work etc.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basecamp+portable+washing+machine&sm=3

Keep in mind if you use piggy bed spreads or a liner bigger than 2x3 it's not going to fit in those two machines. This is a very basic machine made to do like a days worth of clothes. I think the capacity on the panda is a wee bit bigger so that was why I bought that one. I have had it for a few months now and I still love it.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This is the exact one I got. Keep in mind it is small capacity so for one complete cage cleaning I run it thru two loads.

It can only handle in one load either:

a sewn 2x3 liner with 2 layers of fleece and 1 layer of uhual

or

about 3-4 fleece flipper uhaul inserts

or

probably 4-5 fleece flipper fleece cases

or

one 2x4 loose layer of uhaul etc.

or

one 2x4 loose layer of fleece etc.

several potty pads, tunnels, fleece forest etc.

If you use only a small amount of laundry detergent you can usually get away with 1 wash cycle and 2 rinse cycles (all cycles are manual so you need to fill up and drain the water each time but there is a hose that dumps into the sink and you can use a hose to fill the washer too but I just use the retractable hose nozzle thingy on my sink.

There is another machine that looks exactly the same for sale on Amazon for a little less now:

(broken link removed)

You can check both out on youtube and see how they work etc.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basecamp+portable+washing+machine&sm=3

Keep in mind if you use piggy bed spreads or a liner bigger than 2x3 it's not going to fit in those two machines. This is a very basic machine made to do like a days worth of clothes. I think the capacity on the panda is a wee bit bigger so that was why I bought that one. I have had it for a few months now and I still love it.
Super cool!
I'm happy with using our new washer. It works awesome!! I simply put a sock on my hands when it's done, and rub it all over the sides until I know it's clean.
I also use some bleach with the bedding.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
regular washer trumps portable washer trumps hand washing :eek:)

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I really really want to use fleece bedding exspecially since its winter time. But my mom will not allow me to wash them in the washer when they become soiled.

Is there any other means of washing fleece? Perhaps my bathtub?

On the piggybedspreads website, they explain how to sanitize your washing machine after using it for washing piggy bedspreads. Maybe your mom would consider this. This is what they say...

Sanitize your washing machine by running a cycle of hot water and ½ cup of chlorine bleach. Now you’re ready for the next load for the rest of your family.

spritrain180

Cavy Slave
On the piggybedspreads website, they explain how to sanitize your washing machine after using it for washing piggy bedspreads. Maybe your mom would consider this. This is what they say...

Sanitize your washing machine by running a cycle of hot water and ½ cup of chlorine bleach. Now you’re ready for the next load for the rest of your family.

I'll run this by my mom later and see what she'd say ^-^ Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.