Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Scratching Itchy flakey skin!

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
Heyy I'm new, but I read as many posts as I could find on itchy flakey skin! I know its most likely mites so I treated with ivermectin once a week for 2 weeks and it has been 4 weeks since the start. It has not slowed down at all. I do not see any lice and he is not shedding irregularly, although he definitely sheds. I brush him regularly and we play and pet lots. I really think its dry skin but I can't find anything about how to help with that or ease the orchids for him
I got him from a rescue a couple months ago and he is just at a year old. He's very active and loves making friends of any species.
My little baby's name is Magic after the rescue I got him from (magic happens rabbit rescue)

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
If you think it is just dry skin Gorgeous Guineas makes an aloe melt that is for dry skin. They are from the UK so it is kinda expensive but their products are great!. I bought my guinea pigs shampoo from them and LOVE it. I know if my pigs skin was dry and flaking I would try their melt. (broken link removed)

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much!!

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
Thanks again! I just ordered some melts!

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
oh good. hope it helps. I use their posh n go shampoo and it is amazing. their hair came out so soft and shiny

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sometimes lice can be very hard to see. How was the ivermectin administered? Dry skin can also be a sign of a fungal issue.

If it is indeed dry skin, it could be because the air is too dry (though maybe not in your neck of the woods!) and a humidifier may help. Also, a cheaper alternative to Gorgeous Guineas is to use extra virgin coconut oil. Just buy the stuff in the grocery store, and rub it into the skin.

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
I did the ivermectin topically. He doesn't have patches of hair loss or anything and yeah I'm in Baton Rouge currently and it is 100% every day!
Thanks for the coconut oil idea! I have that here :)

hunniechey

Cavy Slave
So I put coconut oil on him let it sit 20 minutes then shampooed off....twice
Still looks like a greeser but not one scratch since and still doesn't get excited when I scratch him
It worked! Thank yall soooo much!

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1385775121965.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.