Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating How to hand feed?

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
One of the two new piggies isn't eating. The smaller of the two just sits. I looked and his front teeth are misalligned crooked or slantedsomehow. He clicks sorta with his teeth. At first I didn't notice but he was drooling water. I thought he was just scared and not eating when I was around.

But he is clearly not eating. His brother is bigget and us constantly eating.

He did eat a bit if apple sat. Sund not sure if he ate. This morning I put it all togethor and realized what was happening. I had a pig with malocclusion before and she would eat mashed moist pellets. So I tried this with Winnie today and am still trying. He won't eat it. I tried a syringe and he fights it. I think I got a little in him a few times. Once he ate a little off a spoon. He just looks teally bad today. Two days ago he was bright eyed but just over night his eyes are not bright and are withdrawn. He is hunched.

Of course I called the vet this morning and couldn't get us in today but first thing in the morning.

If I can just get him to eat enough to last that long. I am afraid he won't eat enough and be gone by morning or far enough gone that he won't survive.

Please help me with suggestions on how to hand feed? I made a slurry of pellets and its just not working

muddygrl

Cavy Slave

Thanks! I guess I just have to force feed him at this point. If he lasts the night then we will be going to the vet.

If they can trim his teeth will his appetite come back shortly after? Or is there not much hope when they get to this point? My other guinea pig that had tooth issues WANTED to eat so badly and would eat if I fed her or put soft stuff in a bowl she'd even lick it up. This little guy acts like he has no desire to eat.

I am so sad that he is this bad and so quickly. He looked fine at the shelter or I wouldn't have brought him home to be honest. He was dropping some pellets though there at the shelter. He obviously was still eating and bright eyed. I don't understand why all of a sudden he just stopped eating. It's not like his teeth would have gotten worse in 2 days. Could he have stopped eating because of stress? I am sort of confused why he looked so good at the shelter even with tooth issues (if that's what it is)but suddenly is so bad. His eyes keep getting crusties, but his nose is dry and he's not stiffing or sneezing or anything.

muddygrl

Cavy Slave
He didn't make :( He just had no desire to eat any more and trying to force feed wasn't enough. I am sad and frustrated. He did have malocclusion but it didn't look that bad, like he could still move his tongue and didn't have sores or anything. I don't understand why he suddenly stopped eating when he came home with us when he was doing fine at the shelter. Did we hold him too much? He seemed to really enjoy being held and would curl up in our laps like a kitten and purr and seemed to enjoy it. He never tried to get down or anything unlike his spunky brother. I am just worried that we just stressed him out too much. I hope not. :(

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.