Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lowes Guinea Pig Hay

6caviesmom

Lowes Guinea Pig Hay

Hi! I'm new here, but I have been spoiling my cavies rotten since '99. I have 6 right now: Georgette, Thumper, Ashleigh, Shadow, Vanilla, and Fudge. Shadow is my only little boy and lives all by himself right now.

I noticed that Lowe's Farm Fresh Hay was mentioned on the home page with requests from anyone that had used it, so...

We are AVID users of Lowe's guinea pig hay. My "babies" enjoy Oxbow, but LOVE Niccole's hay. It is very fresh and you can smell it even before you open the box (good fresh hay smell). We live on the west coast and it is quite a distance from Niccole's farm, but she gets my hay to me within 2 days after I've ordered it.

Re: Lowes Guinea Pig Hay

They did send me some quite a while ago. As I recall it was a mix of three different hays: clover, alfalfa, and timothy, or something like that.

It was good and fresh, but at the time, my piggers were quite used to the pure timothy from APD, so I didn't switch.

Glad to hear someone else is using it and likes it.

Where can I order the Lowes Hay. I have tried both Oxbow and AmericanPetDiner and my pigs definitely prefer Oxbow. But I always like to try different things. I have to order all of my hay as I live in Houston (which is 5 years behind California in animal welfare) so ordering is not a problem.

hay question

Everyone is talking about APD hay. What company is this. I am familiar with Oxbow but not APD.

Re: hay question

American Pet Diner is another company which has high quality hay that you can order online.

Here's a direct link to the site.
(broken link removed)

Here's a direct link to the hay.
(broken link removed)

I haven't used this hay personally. Perhaps CavySpirit or someone else on the board who has used it could tell you more about it.

I've used both Oxbow and APD. Oxbow just seems better quality to me, or maybe I got a bad batch of APD. We didn't even finish using the APD hay because it was so dusty and crummy...by crummy I mean like crumms!!!

Just my experience.

Miriam

I've been using Kaytee timothy hay and the first two bags I bought were fine but this last bag I've been using has been real "crummy" just like you mentioned with the APD hay. When I go to put a handful in the hay rack a good portion of the "crumms" just fall through to the floor. I don't know if it was just a bad batch of hay or if the bag got smashed in shipping or what.

Could be the season. No hay is any good anywhere right now that I hear.

I just ordered some from Niccole (Lowe's Guinea Pig Hay) Monday, got it Wednesday, and the hay was in great condition. The "kids" are happily munchin' as I speak and Georgette made her own pile of hay then jumped from the roof of her cabin into the pile. Yup - she likes it!

What kind was it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.